After Looking Locally For a NM Serial Springfield Mil-Spec 1911.I give up.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : After Looking Locally For a NM Serial Springfield Mil-Spec 1911.I give up..

dgbee456
01-19-2011, 22:55
After Looking Locally For a NM Serial Springfield Mil-Spec 1911.I give up..
I could not find any mil spec's at all parkerized...so I found a Made In Brazil 1911 Mil Spec Springer...
650.00$$

I have some newbie questions...

I had a Dan Wesson Cbob Last year but it was jamming after trying to fix it i think it might have been too tight..even after 500 rounds it would get a FTF failure after 60 to 80 rounds at the range...

My question is the Mil Spec a good choice to get back into the 1911 game....
and what should I look for as soon as I get mine to make to sure it is not a lemon..

Quack
01-19-2011, 23:09
Take a look at a Remington R1

dgbee456
01-19-2011, 23:21
I thought the R1 Remington 1911 had a powdered metal frame..

Quack
01-19-2011, 23:27
Investment cast.

mr00jimbo
01-20-2011, 01:36
Springfield Armory apparently has an amazing customer service department. And a lifetime warranty. Any problems, send'r back. But look at the SS ones - very nice. :)

silversport
01-20-2011, 05:44
perhaps Springfield of late is saving their NM frames for the RO...I (and many others) thought the Mil-Spec was a fine starting point for upgrades...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/silversport1/P1000072.jpg

Bill

Eagle22
01-20-2011, 08:20
perhaps Springfield of late is saving their NM frames for the RO...I (and many others) thought the Mil-Spec was a fine starting point for upgrades...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/silversport1/P1000072.jpg

Bill

That is a might fine looking piece there Bill.

Been looking for a basic 1911 with 3 dot sights. Not too expensive for my first 1911.

Quack
01-20-2011, 08:58
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1159787692_pcBBE-L.jpg

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1150351658_RyskB-L.jpg

knedrgr
01-20-2011, 09:06
a great choice for a starter 1911.

knedrgr
01-20-2011, 09:07
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/fourstardrift/DSC_1544.jpg

JBnTX
01-20-2011, 10:32
After Looking Locally For a NM Serial Springfield Mil-Spec 1911.I give up..
I could not find any mil spec's at all parkerized...so I found a Made In Brazil 1911 Mil Spec Springer....

What's wrong with a "Made in Brazil" marked Mil-Spec?

Nickpisp
01-20-2011, 10:37
What's wrong with a "Made in Brazil" marked Mil-Spec?

Nothing, but the "NM" serial numbered guns seem to be fit a little better.

gocubs6
01-20-2011, 18:18
My Mil Spec is great. It is NM, but I doubt that makes too much of a difference.

Agent6-3/8
01-20-2011, 23:08
The Mil-Spec is an excellent choice! :cool:

silversport
01-21-2011, 06:35
they are finished better (NM marked pistols)...at least on the examples of the two my buddy and I bought in 2005...but they shoot identically...then and now (he was part of Teddy Jacobson and Stephen Camp's Project Street Gun #1 as well :D)
Bill

Jim S.
01-21-2011, 19:22
The Mil-Specs are very good basic 1911's.
I like to replace the internal locking system in the mainspring housing by using a good quality part and a rebuild kit that you can get from Brownells.
Never buy the cheap mainspring housing. You want a good one because of the better fit and overall quality.
Look at the feed ramp in the frame. It should be uniform and clean looking across the entire width of it.
Then of course the barrel ramp should look clean and uniform.
These can be easily cleaned up with some good metal polish on a cotton fob/ dremmel.
I like to polish the metal to metal surfaces also throughout the slide/frame contact areas.
The breach face where the firing pin hole is located usually needs to be polished and on the inside of the slide there will be some engraved numbers/ letters that need to be smoothed over so the sharp edges do not drag across the top of the disconnector.
Some 400g sandpaper will do and then finish it with 800 or 1000g paper.
I could go on and on I guess but it really isn't necessary to do much else.
I don't care for the springs they use so I usually replace them with some good quality springs, also from Brownells.

Jason D
01-22-2011, 18:23
I have loaded model that has a NM serial number.
It's also marked on the dust cover made in Brazil.

I think this whole NM business is nothing but gun urban legend.

silversport
01-23-2011, 06:10
I have loaded model that has a NM serial number.
It's also marked on the dust cover made in Brazil.

I think this whole NM business is nothing but gun urban legend.

you are free to think what you want...Springfield had confirmed the NM (at least on the Mil Spec model for which they were asked) is finished in Illinois...a buddy and I each bought stainless Mil Specs from the same dealer on the same day...mine was NM marked...his was N marked...the matte sections (like the top of the slide) were a darker gray on his than on mine...the front sight was a different profile on his than on mine...the interior was finished more (but still showed marks) on mine than on his...his has Brasil marked while mine doesn't...HOWEVER they both shoot identically...

I had only heard the NM marked pistols being finished in Illinois only applied to the GI and Mil Spec guns (...and now the RO)...and not to the Loaded models...I believe all TRPs and above are also finished in Illinois..

Bill

Captain Bligh
01-29-2011, 08:40
A Mil-Spec is a good gun, but more importantly is a fine platform to become an excellent gun. My stainless Mil-Spec was made in Brazil. It came with an insanely heavy trigger pull and a 10% failure rate from failure to feed.

After a trip back to Geneseo, IL it is now one remarkable pistol. The repair shop polished the feed ramp, reamed the barrel, and changed the extractor. While it was there anyway, I purchased the defense package.

The gun came back accurate, reliable, and with a 4.5 lb trigger that breaks like glass. Would I have had these problems if mine was finished in the USA? I can't say. I can say it makes absolutely no difference now.

Hokie1911
01-29-2011, 09:36
A Mil-Spec is a good gun, but more importantly is a fine platform to become an excellent gun. My stainless Mil-Spec was made in Brazil. It came with an insanely heavy trigger pull and a 10% failure rate from failure to feed.

After a trip back to Geneseo, IL it is now one remarkable pistol. The repair shop polished the feed ramp, reamed the barrel, and changed the extractor. While it was there anyway, I purchased the defense package.

The gun came back accurate, reliable, and with a 4.5 lb trigger that breaks like glass. Would I have had these problems if mine was finished in the USA? I can't say. I can say it makes absolutely no difference now.

:needspics:

dgbee456
01-29-2011, 12:56
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac218/dgbee456/hiii/photo-50.jpg
I am thinking about a defense package and an armory kote already.

Magus
01-29-2011, 18:32
Had both "versions" at one time. Still have the straight up "N" 100% made, fit and finished in Brazil version.

Honestly, there was no real major difference overall between the two(other than the barrel). In my case, I traded out the NM model because for me the 100% Brazilian model was slightly better put together and for me was the better shooter of the two in the end. I know that runs counter to what many have said...but for me it was true.

The only big difference as I noted is the NM's come with a one-piece stainless match grade barrel vs a two-piece design that the rest use. Very well kept secret by Springfield. Why they do this with the NM's, I have no clue. I've asked Springfield about it and while they confirmed it to be true, they never could give me a straight answer as to why.

Bottom line, nothing wrong with the "N" models at all. NM's use the same made in Brazil parts, they're just fit and finished stateside if that matters to you.

Quack
01-29-2011, 18:36
some more reference:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_149_24/ai_65910640/pg_2/?tag=content;col1

This is for the "N" marked guns
It's no secret that Springfield's pistols are made in Brazil and the Milspec gun comes into this country complete and ready to go. Guns destined to become Loaded pistols come in without a grip safety or sights. Those are installed in Springfield's Illinois factory.

Springfield has set up a CNC machine to do the frame modifications needed for the beavertail. Both models are marked "FI (made in) Brazil."

This would be for the "NM" marked guns:
When we step up to the Trophy Match it is a very different gun, although the appearance is very much like the Loaded pistols. For the Trophy Match, only a partially machined frame is imported. The magazine well and most of the internal cuts are done, but there are no rail cuts at all. Springfield machines these on their CNC equipment.

if > 50% of the work is done on one of their pistols in Brazil, then somewhere on that pistol it will be marked "Brazil". Should > 50% be done in Geneseo, IL, then it does not require a "Brazil" marking.

The Question:
Talked to the dealer..he said NM stands for national match. Don't think he knows what he is talking about! But he stated that national match means the standard by which the barrel was tested by. My 2 cents.

The Answer:
Springfield uses the prefixes of "N" and "NM" to designate 1911-A1 type pistols, just as we used "AM" as the prefix for the P9 series of pistols. The only pistols which use the national match frames are the complete custom pistols built through our custom shop. These pistols have "Springfield Custom" etched on the slide, and will have the "NM" prefix to the serial number.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Custom
Springfield Inc.
customshop@springfield-armory.com

Captain Bligh
02-06-2011, 21:23
Here are the pics you asked for. Mil-Spec back from the repair shop & custom shop with most work done internally. External work is non-ILS flat mainspring housing and long trigger. Internal work is the defense package.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l557/Justasailor/Guns/DSC01273.jpg

GeorgiaRedfish
02-06-2011, 21:24
What brand trigger? Can we get a better pic of it?