Aluminum frame Qs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum frame Qs

Bearlaker
01-20-2011, 08:26
I just got my first aluminum framed 1911, an older Springfield Champion M968, non ramped barrel.
What do you guys say about running hot loads through these?
Are hollow points an issue?
It really has a nice trigger, shoots good. The ambi safety is loose on the right side, how hard is it to change this out, or just take the right side off?

knedrgr
01-20-2011, 09:09
removing the ambi will require fitting of a new thumb safety.

Bearlaker
01-20-2011, 09:11
Thanks knedrgr.

Jim S.
01-21-2011, 19:29
Some aluminum frames get hurt by some hollow points.
They sometimes dig into the feed ramp coming out of the magazine.
Look at the ammunition.
Winchester PDX-1's are very rounded and almost have a FMJ profile.
They should feed without a problem.
Some rounds, like the Corbon DPX have a sharp edge around the hollow point because of the extreme profile and I would be wary of those in an aluminum frame.
All you can do is try a few out and see.
As far as hot loads it should be ok since the round is in the barrel when it is fired.
Just make sure your recoil spring is good.
If you can slingshot a round out of the mag and it feeds into the barrel without hitting the frame feed ramp causing it to hang up I would imagine it to be ok to shoot those rounds.

Bearlaker
01-22-2011, 07:49
Thanks Jim.

MachineHead155
01-22-2011, 09:26
Some aluminum frames get hurt by some hollow points.
They sometimes dig into the feed ramp coming out of the magazine.
Look at the ammunition.
Winchester PDX-1's are very rounded and almost have a FMJ profile.
They should feed without a problem.
Some rounds, like the Corbon DPX have a sharp edge around the hollow point because of the extreme profile and I would be wary of those in an aluminum frame.
All you can do is try a few out and see.
As far as hot loads it should be ok since the round is in the barrel when it is fired.
Just make sure your recoil spring is good.
If you can slingshot a round out of the mag and it feeds into the barrel without hitting the frame feed ramp causing it to hang up I would imagine it to be ok to shoot those rounds.

What about 230 gr. Speer Gold Dot? Would they be okay through an aluminum frame? I plan on getting a Kimber CDP Pro 4" for concealed carry and Gold Dots seem to be some of the most reliably expanding bullets. That's why I ask.

Bearlaker: I'd like to give you my formal apology for hi-jacking your thread. :supergrin:

Jim S.
01-22-2011, 18:50
What about 230 gr. Speer Gold Dot?

It's really all about the nose profile on the hollow points. Gold Dots are rounded more so than flat and pointed.
If you can feed them without a hang up by cycling the slide it should be ok to shoot them.
After you shoot a couple of mags see if there are any marks on the feed ramp that look like the bullet is hitting the ramp too hard.
I would expect it to be ok. Usually it is flat nosed or very large hollow points with sharp edges that would be a problem.

BGPD
01-24-2011, 12:08
I have both Lightweight and all steel 1911s that I use both on and off duty. With modern, up to date ammunition I see no reason to use +P in any of them.

Jim S.
01-24-2011, 20:18
With modern, up to date ammunition I see no reason to use +P in any of them.

Even without modern ammunition.
The 45 acp was designed to be a relatively slow, heavy projectile.
A lot of old school people who really knew their stuff debated this long ago.
Most agreed that the 45 acp did not need to be over driven to be effective.

R0CKETMAN
01-24-2011, 20:40
I'm thinking corbon's copper dpx should be fine. Based solely on copper barnes bullet vs aluminum.