Castle nut on backwards, does is matter? pics [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Castle nut on backwards, does is matter? pics

catalyst686
01-20-2011, 13:56
I was just viewing some AR pics and noticed I had put the castle nut on backwards. I went to fix it, tried taking it off, and noticed one of the threads on the buffer tube was chipped, making it tough to take the nut off. I'm afraid if I try to force it off to turn it around more damage might occur. So my question is, does it matter which way the castle nut is installed? It seems like it serves the same purpose either way.
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac355/catalyst686/IMAG0830.jpg

ravenkeeper98
01-20-2011, 13:59
It depends on what wrench you use to tighten it. It is a lot easier to tighten with it on the right way. Also, if you plan on staking it on, you can't like that. You need to stake the plate into the beveled cutout to properly stake it in place.

ETA
The nut is harder than the metal of the tube. Use a lil 3in1 oil on the threads where the damage is, slowly unscrew it to where it binds, back off, then unscrew again, lil father. Keep it up until it passes the damage. The nut should act like a die and re-thread the tube if the damage is not too bad.

Bushflyr
01-20-2011, 14:01
Lube it up and spin it off. The steel nut will straighten those threads right up.

catalyst686
01-20-2011, 14:17
It depends on what wrench you use to tighten it. It is a lot easier to tighten with it on the right way. Also, if you plan on staking it on, you can't like that. You need to stake the plate into the beveled cutout to properly stake it in place.

ETA
The nut is harder than the metal of the tube. Use a lil 3in1 oil on the threads where the damage is, slowly unscrew it to where it binds, back off, then unscrew again, lil father. Keep it up until it passes the damage. The nut should act like a die and re-thread the tube if the damage is not too bad.

Wow, I was just pulling up pages to buy some new parts. I did exactly what you said, lubed it up, slowly loosened it off and took it back a little when it started to get tight, took a few tries but this worked like a charm! I owe you one! Thanks!

catalyst686
01-20-2011, 14:22
Thanks guys!!!!

TedG
01-20-2011, 17:12
On another forum, I read that when Baer introduced their AR platform, the publicity pics showed an AR with the nut on backwards. According to the post, Baer tried to pass it off saying some SWAT team requested it.

Requested it. Yeah, sure they did. :rofl:

ravenkeeper98
01-20-2011, 19:59
lol, I bet the wrench kept slipping out of those staking notches, those guys at Baer, "jeese these nuts are tough to tighten"

To the OP, glad it all worked out for ya. Sometimes it is hard to think of something backwards before you put it together.

MisterPX
01-20-2011, 20:04
If you don't stake, then it really doesn't matter. Loctite is bidirectional ;)

catalyst686
01-20-2011, 20:56
lol, I bet the wrench kept slipping out of those staking notches, those guys at Baer, "jeese these nuts are tough to tighten"

To the OP, glad it all worked out for ya. Sometimes it is hard to think of something backwards before you put it together.

The wrench would get stuck in the notches (the teeth of the wrench chipped the threads because I was trying to jam it out). Every time I would tighten it the buffer tube would spin with it, so then I was spinning that back into place while trying to crank the wrench to tighten it. Thankfully I didn't ruin anything!

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-20-2011, 21:04
I had a doozie of a time with those little take down pin detents and springs. we all have our problems with AR's lol.

jdodd
01-21-2011, 07:02
Not going to lie...the first thing I thought of when I read the title was "I didn't know we had any les baer techs on the boards." :tongueout:

-J

Spiffums
01-21-2011, 19:22
On another forum, I read that when Baer introduced their AR platform, the publicity pics showed an AR with the nut on backwards. According to the post, Baer tried to pass it off saying some SWAT team requested it.

Requested it. Yeah, sure they did. :rofl:

Yeah Man just leave it that way......... your shiznat is custom now.........:wow:

glock21xxx
01-21-2011, 20:15
I had a doozie of a time with those little take down pin detents and springs. we all have our problems with AR's lol.

I had the same problem the first time, bent one end of a spring - it was ugly :crying: