Adams Arms 5.45 Conversion kit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Adams Arms 5.45 Conversion kit

G26man
01-20-2011, 19:42
This has really gotten my attention.

http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar15-m-16-accessories/ar-15-m-16-piston-kits/adams-arms-complete-5-45x39-16-conversion-kit-adams-arms-5-45-conversion-kit-detail.htm

I was considering one of the current crop pf Bulgarian AK-74s to plink with the cheap corrosive milsurp ammo but they've had their barrels replaced with non-chrome lined U.S. barrels (who made that brilliant decision?), but this kit is the equivalent of chrome lined and is even less expensive, assuming you have a donor AR upper. Anyone have any experience with an Adams Arms conversion kit? Just what kind of tools do you need to replace the barrel, gas block, etc? Is it something an all thumbs monkey can do or would I need to have a smith do it?

MisterPX
01-20-2011, 20:05
First, that website has been out of stock for a few months now.

That said, the only special tool you'll need is a barrel nut wrench.

G26man
01-20-2011, 20:11
First, that website has been out of stock for a few months now.

That said, the only special tool you'll need is a barrel nut wrench.

Good eye, but Midway has them for $325.

cyrsequipment
01-21-2011, 07:36
Ok, forgive my ignorance, but I'm assuming that the "extra power hammer spring" is for the harder primers of the 5.45... Can that spring be used with a .223/5.56 upper? Or will it start piercing primers?

I love the concept and I have pretty much everything I'd need to do the conversion, but I just want to know.

boomhower
01-21-2011, 07:48
Ok, forgive my ignorance, but I'm assuming that the "extra power hammer spring" is for the harder primers of the 5.45... Can that spring be used with a .223/5.56 upper? Or will it start piercing primers?

I love the concept and I have pretty much everything I'd need to do the conversion, but I just want to know.

If you have the ability to change out the barrel taking two minutes to do the hammer spring won't be an issue.

hagar
01-21-2011, 13:39
Just buy the whole upper, it's not that much more. I bought a complete Model-1 upper from Palmetto State armory for $500.

Had some misfires with a standard AR trigger, but my Rock River Arms NM trigger works like a charm.

cyrsequipment
01-21-2011, 15:56
If you have the ability to change out the barrel taking two minutes to do the hammer spring won't be an issue.

So, that is a no then?

cyrsequipment
01-21-2011, 15:57
Just buy the whole upper, it's not that much more. I bought a complete Model-1 upper from Palmetto State armory for $500.

Had some misfires with a standard AR trigger, but my Rock River Arms NM trigger works like a charm.

If that included a bolt, not a bad price at all...

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=309

G26man
01-21-2011, 16:38

The cheapest upper I've found in 5.45 is the S&W at $600+, and although other S&W uppers are typically chrome lined this one doesn't mention it. I did find an Adams Arms piston upper in this caliber for $680 with melonite treated bore and FH, sounds like a better way to go than the S&W. This conversion is half the price though but obviously requires significant work I'm not sure I'm qualified to do.