How much is 150 mb in a data plan? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How much is 150 mb in a data plan?

fireguy129
01-20-2011, 20:27
I'm looking at verizon for a new smartphone. I don't want an extra $30 a month for unlimited, and the other plan is 150 mb for $15. Is 150 mb too little for checking email, general web searching etc?

IndyGunFreak
01-20-2011, 21:07
I would think you will go over 150mb very very easily... even w/ just basic surfing and email.

Can you ask your current provider how much data you're using per month? That will tell you if 150mb is enough... but I seriously doubt it.

IGF

fireguy129
01-20-2011, 21:49
I'm on verizon, but with a plain feature phone. I'm currently paying $10 for unlimited, but its so slow I really don't use it for much.

Dragoon44
01-20-2011, 22:02
Spend the additional 15 dollars and have the peace of mind you won't ever have to open your bill and have a heart attack from the cost of overage fees.

bluejackets92fs
01-20-2011, 22:04
My data plan is like $30 for unlimited. I'd shell the extra out for unlimited.

IndyGunFreak
01-20-2011, 22:04
I'm on verizon, but with a plain feature phone. I'm currently paying $10 for unlimited, but its so slow I really don't use it for much.

That's a tough one...

Don't know how helpful this will be, but... I just saw on another site...

http://www.tested.com/news/how-android-users-can-survive-on-just-a-150mbmonth-data-plan/1183/

If that is true.. and if you go over 150mb, they roll you over and charge you another 15 for another 150mb($30 for unlimited, or $30 for 300mb?)..... Ask them if thats still the case.... if you go over the first month doing your "normal" stuff by a large amount, then just upgrade to the $30 plan, and be done w/ it. If you barely go over, and you can modify your habits, then stick w/ the $15 plan....

IGF

JimmyN
01-21-2011, 04:02
Using this Glocktalk page as an example, if I analyze the loaded document size I get the following:

5 document files = 214KB
61 images = 394KB
18 scripts = 197KB
1 object (flash) = 101KB
3 style sheets =5KB

The total to load this page is 870KB (kilobytes), or 6.9mb (megabits). Normally your browser will cache the images and style sheets so you won't have to reload all of them for each page change, but I don't know how much cache space phones have, probably not a lot.

Assuming your 150mb is megabits, and as a worst case your phone doesn't cache images for re-use, then you'd only get about 22 page views on Glocktalk and you would be over your limit. I'd go for the unlimited service....

fireguy129
01-21-2011, 05:41
Using this Glocktalk page as an example, if I analyze the loaded document size I get the following:

5 document files = 214KB
61 images = 394KB
18 scripts = 197KB
1 object (flash) = 101KB
3 style sheets =5KB

The total to load this page is 870KB (kilobytes), or 6.9mb (megabits). Normally your browser will cache the images and style sheets so you won't have to reload all of them for each page change, but I don't know how much cache space phones have, probably not a lot.

Assuming your 150mb is megabits, and as a worst case your phone doesn't cache images for re-use, then you'd only get about 22 page views on Glocktalk and you would be over your limit. I'd go for the unlimited service....

Thanks Jimmy, that's exactly the type of example I was looking for. Doesn't look like I'll be renewing with verizon, if that's the case. I pay $30 for my home dsl, I'm not paying an extra $30 for a phone data plan, when I'm unlimited at my current $10. Nice how they won't renew the phone without dropping the current plan...

IndyGunFreak
01-21-2011, 07:28

5 document files = 214KB
61 images = 394KB
18 scripts = 197KB
1 object (flash) = 101KB
3 style sheets =5KB

I agree with you, but your math is messed up. There's 1000kb in 1mb.

IGF

Pierre!
01-21-2011, 08:06
I went with Virgin Mobile - Samsung Intercept

$25 / Mo for 300 Minutes of talk time, and unlimited Web, EMail, and Texting.

$40 / Mo gets you 1200 minutes.

It's been working fine so far... and I am saving $50 a month compared to the AT&T plan I had for $80/mo...

Before you jump ship - call your current carrier and complain. AT&T would have shaved some costs to keep me... check with your current folks, and see what they say! Costs nothing to try...

Note - When you go to 'prepaid' phone service your phone number is NOT portable!!! That was a shock, but very few know my cell number anyway... so no big deal for me.

HTH...

JimmyN
01-21-2011, 10:18
I agree with you, but your math is messed up. There's 1000kb in 1mb.

IGF
That's true, and there are 8 bits in a byte.

So 870,000 BYTES (total for files) equals 6.96 million BITS (amount of data to download).
150mb limit / 6.96mb per page = 21.55 pages
I don't see the error, maybe I've got brain lock.

Dragoon44
01-21-2011, 10:45
If you go with a limited data plan you had better plan on staying away from apps like Pandora radio or any radio streaming app they eat up huge amounts of data.

Also keep in mind if you want a smart phone for apps not only do those apps use data they are also usually updated frequently ( at least the good ones are) and that generally means updated OTA (Over the air) which means data usage as well. Similarly most phone Operating System upgrades are OTA as well. and there you are talking usually over 100 MB for those kind of updates. ( thought they are generally not frequent).

To me it doesn't make much sense to have a smartphone with a limited data plan.

gemeinschaft
01-21-2011, 11:32
FYI, the $15 per 150mb overage fee is a limited time deal, I would read into the terms of the offer.

That being said, I would recommend paying $30/month for unlimited data. I know I get more than 150mb in e-mail a month, that is just a drop in the bucket. Add to that any pictures that someone might send you, any web-surfing and OTA apps.

I would also recommend reading the fine print on the "Unlimited" plan offering, many times you will find out that "Unlimited" is capped too. LOL

I'd rather pay $15/month more than get a $600 phone bill one month (my former boss did this, notice I said former boss).

Dragoon44
01-21-2011, 11:50
gemeinschaft, My old friend where have you been? haven't seen you in ages.

Good to see ya.

And I could not agree with you more

captainstormy
01-21-2011, 12:25
Surfing the web isn't even where your going to use most of your data. Apps are going to be the bulk of it. You may think now that you won't use a lot of them, but once you get your hands on either and android or Iphone and see what a phone can really do (coming from a feature phone) you will be amazed and end up using a whole lot more apps then you ever thought you would.

Course if your in a place with wifi you use the wifi instead of the mobile network so that won't use data from your plan.

My advice, just spend the extra 15 bucks for peace of mind if nothing else.

grokdesigns
01-24-2011, 11:35
I'm a pretty heavy user and use about 2GB of data/month. Even if I were a casual user, with today's smartphones and the available apps, you could go over 150MB without thinking you were close, so paying the extra would be worth it.

That's true, and there are 8 bits in a byte.

So 870,000 BYTES (total for files) equals 6.96 million BITS (amount of data to download).
150mb limit / 6.96mb per page = 21.55 pages
I don't see the error, maybe I've got brain lock.

The error is that Verizon plans are based on MB (bytes), not Mb (bits). 1 MB is 1024 KB, so 150 MB would provide 153,600 KB of data transfer, or about 175 views of this page.

JimmyN
01-24-2011, 12:11
If it's bytes rather than bits that does make a big difference in page views, by a factor of 8. My math was based on 150mb and I clarified it as such:

Assuming your 150mb is megabits, ...

lightsareout
01-24-2011, 19:53
It all depends how much access you will have to wifi. I put my phone on wifi any chance i get and save on data plans that way

captainstormy
01-24-2011, 20:47
It all depends how much access you will have to wifi. I put my phone on wifi any chance i get and save on data plans that way

Saves the battery and increases the speed too.

The Habit
01-25-2011, 07:53
I'm not sure when it takes effect, but Verizon is killing it's $15/150MB plan for all smartphones.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/24/verizon-tweaking-low-end-data-plans-using-3g-distinction-to-u/