Suggest a sling, (not sure what I need) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a sling, (not sure what I need)

catalyst686
01-20-2011, 22:02
I want a sling that would mainly be used at the range. I'm really unfamiliar with slings so help me out! I've checked a few out and like the "multi-mission" slings, it seems like they would serve their purpose well. I obviously want something sturdy that isn't going to break. I don't know if there is a correct term for this, but I think it would be a good idea to have a sling that can be used to carry a weapon on your shoulder without having to stabilize it often with your hands. Like I said before, I have no knowledge in this area. Thanks!

catalyst686
01-20-2011, 22:05
Here is a link for the one I was looking at http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG501/120

NeverMore1701
01-20-2011, 22:11
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297947

I now have it set up with a D-ring just above the buckle, so I can run it in single point mode just like the MS2, just much more comfortable.

TedG
01-21-2011, 08:21
I like the Israeli Defense Force sling.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/NOV-IDF1.jpg

I had this made for survival scenario. There's over 150' of 550 paracord.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/PS9.jpg

mikekjg
01-21-2011, 08:41
I run the padded VCAS from BlueForceFear. Super comfortable and can be adjusted on the fly.

trlcavscout
01-21-2011, 09:07
After trying several I prefer the Magpul MS2 sling with ASAP plate. They adjust quickly, quick transition from strong to weak side, I use it for training, coyote hunting and everything in between. But its such a personal preference thing you should find a shop that carries several of them and go try them. They should let you install the sling to try. If its mainly range you you may find a 2 or 3 point works better for you. But if you get the new forward attachment for the MS2 then you have the best of both worlds.

An MS2 and ASAP or other plate will set you back $75-$90, for range work if your not running and gunning a $30 Blackhawk 2 point would work fine.

ArmoryDoc
01-21-2011, 10:18
After trying several I prefer the Magpul MS2 sling with ASAP plate. They adjust quickly, quick transition from strong to weak side, I use it for training, coyote hunting and everything in between. But its such a personal preference thing you should find a shop that carries several of them and go try them. They should let you install the sling to try. If its mainly range you you may find a 2 or 3 point works better for you. But if you get the new forward attachment for the MS2 then you have the best of both worlds.

An MS2 and ASAP or other plate will set you back $75-$90, for range work if your not running and gunning a $30 Blackhawk 2 point would work fine.

This is what I ended up with. It is by far the best rig for me.

NeverMore1701
01-21-2011, 10:26
I found the MS2 to be quite uncomfortable over long periods of time, and never could get the quick adjust function to work right. The Padded VCAS is superior in every way.

faawrenchbndr
01-21-2011, 10:32
I have a two point Larue Tactical padded sling with QD's

surf
01-21-2011, 11:13
A pure one point sling is not nearly as stable as say a 2 point sling. The one point / two point convertible set ups are great in concept and function however not all are created equal of course. IMO, if you can only have one set up, the 2 point is a better option for your average shooter / user. A simple 2 point sling will work well and if you want an adjustable length of pull 2 point then there are a few on the market. I agree with Nevermore in that the Vickers VCAS sling series are the best on the market right now.

As for the sling that you link, the MS2, it is a good concept but so so execution and even Magpul acknowledges this. It is too thin and uncomfortable over periods of time and the hardware isn't the best choices IMO. Magpul is working on the MS3 and are attempting to address certain issues so you might want to wait.

BBJones
01-21-2011, 14:35
A pure one point sling is not nearly as stable as say a 2 point sling. The one point / two point convertible set ups are great in concept and function however not all are created equal of course. IMO, if you can only have one set up, the 2 point is a better option for your average shooter / user. A simple 2 point sling will work well and if you want an adjustable length of pull 2 point then there are a few on the market. I agree with Nevermore in that the Vickers VCAS sling series are the best on the market right now.

As for the sling that you link, the MS2, it is a good concept but so so execution and even Magpul acknowledges this. It is too thin and uncomfortable over periods of time and the hardware isn't the best choices IMO. Magpul is working on the MS3 and are attempting to address certain issues so you might want to wait.

+1
Really like my padded VCAS. Also look into the VTAC sling. No personal experience with it but it looks like another good option.

If you want a Magpul sling, wait on the MS3.

AK_Stick
01-21-2011, 23:13
Blue Force Gear padded VCAS

I don't like my MS-2. The only thing I like about it, are the snap shackle, and inline D-ring.

NeverMore1701
01-22-2011, 01:24
Blue Force Gear padded VCAS

I don't like my MS-2. The only thing I like about it, are the snap shackle, and inline D-ring.

I agree that the D-ring is a big plus for the MS2, which is why I copied Surf and put one on the underside of my VCAS around where the MS2 has it :supergrin:

ezterra
01-22-2011, 02:30
I deployed with a Gear Sector 2 point sling. It worked good and it held up well. I have since switched to the MS2 sling and really like it. I like the option of going single or 2 point. During mounted ops, the 2 point configuration works great because the weapon is much more secure. However, when dismounted the single point configuration allows for easier manipulation of the weapon. So far it's been holding up well in training and in rifle matches I've been shooting. I like it and I am comfortable recommending it. Like others have said it is a personal choice though. It's kind of like holsters. What's good for one may not be good for another.

MrMurphy
01-22-2011, 10:10
If it's a pure range weapon, no sling at all. If you just need to move the gun around, an IDF or uncle mike's type basic sling is all you need.

If you plan on ever actually USING the rifle, the VTAC/VCAS/Magpul type. I've used all three, currently i use a LaRue VTAC.

AK_Stick
01-22-2011, 10:55
I agree that the D-ring is a big plus for the MS2, which is why I copied Surf and put one on the underside of my VCAS around where the MS2 has it :supergrin:

I'm planning on going a slightly different route.

I ordered a second MS2, and a VCAS, and I'm going to cut the VCAS, and sew the padding, into the MS2.

But yeah, that would work too.

surf
01-22-2011, 11:26

I ordered a second MS2, and a VCAS, and I'm going to cut the VCAS, and sew the padding, into the MS2.

But yeah, that would work too.You might consider waiting on the MS3 sling. Magpul is supposed to be addressing issues in the MS2. I personally do not like the MS2's slider or hardware in general. My MS2 started to fray fairly quickly which was also annoying. The inline ring on the MS2 makes the sling twist and bind when transitioning to the support side, which placing a D-Ring under the sling instead of inline helps to avoid. It isn't horrible but annoying enough. If you like your VCAS it is much easier to convert a VCAS with much better hardware that is readily available. Scavenging padding off of a VCAS sounds like a bit of work and I am not even convinced that it will distribute the load well enough with the padding considering the main MS2 is so narrow. Just a thought. Or again I might wait to see what Magpul does with the MS3. If you do the padding on the MS2 I would be curious to hear and see the results.

RWBlue
01-22-2011, 11:37
Single point slings are best for tactical groups. This allows you to drop your rifle and transition to a side arm or grenade or ....

Browningģ Horsehair Sling – Timber slings are for carrying a rifle, it is useless for
anything else.

Three point slings have their place, but IMHO, not on an AR. The control surfaces are in the wrong area. I really do like this on an AK, when it is hanging at the hip. (If you have a front post on your AR, this can be accomplished with other slings, but the transition from patrol to stable shooting platform is not as quick.)

The 1906 leather sling is what is needed if you are trying to shoot precision in the field.
http://www.turnersling.com/high-power-competition-gear.html

Everything else out there is a compromise of the above. They add swivels, clips, quick detach.....

If this is for range use, get the 1906 leather sling. You can go cheap with cheap leather or even nylon.

BTW, Take a look at appleseed shooting. This will teach you the traditional shooting methods. And how to make hits while using a sling.

faawrenchbndr
01-22-2011, 13:11
I've got a Turner on my Garand,......can't see putting one on an AR15. :dunno:

cowboy1964
01-22-2011, 14:12
LaRue VTAC here too, my first sling. It's pretty busy and has a lot of material but it seems to work well. I like that it came with the Quick Disconnects so it was plug-and-play with my M&P 15.

Turbodreams
01-22-2011, 14:17

But yeah, that would work too.

I really like the MS2, which is why I bought it. But I havent really put it to all that much use yet. I was thinking that it might be a bit uncomfortable over a longer period of time at the collar bone area. But then I figured if it bothers me then I can just get a small seat belt pad or one of the small pads from a duffel bag strap.

RWBlue
01-22-2011, 14:33
I've got a Turner on my Garand,......can't see putting one on an AR15. :dunno:

It depends on how you want to shoot it.

You do realize that matches are being won with the little AR?
It is not just a spray and pray gun.

faawrenchbndr
01-22-2011, 14:39
It depends on how you want to shoot it.

You do realize that matches are being won with the little AR?
It is not just a spray and pray gun.

I realize a lot more than you realize. :whistling:
Just simply stating my opinion........nothing more, nothing less.

I assume that's ok?! :dunno:

AK_Stick
01-22-2011, 14:42
You might consider waiting on the MS3 sling. Magpul is supposed to be addressing issues in the MS2. I personally do not like the MS2's slider or hardware in general. My MS2 started to fray fairly quickly which was also annoying. The inline ring on the MS2 makes the sling twist and bind when transitioning to the support side, which placing a D-Ring under the sling instead of inline helps to avoid. It isn't horrible but annoying enough. If you like your VCAS it is much easier to convert a VCAS with much better hardware that is readily available. Scavenging padding off of a VCAS sounds like a bit of work and I am not even convinced that it will distribute the load well enough with the padding considering the main MS2 is so narrow. Just a thought. Or again I might wait to see what Magpul does with the MS3. If you do the padding on the MS2 I would be curious to hear and see the results.

If I wasn't deployed, I probably would wait. As it stands now, the MS-2 is a terrible duty sling, and my VCAS just isn't doing what I want.

RWBlue
01-22-2011, 15:11
I realize a lot more than you realize. :whistling:
Just simply stating my opinion........nothing more, nothing less.

I assume that's ok?! :dunno:

Your doing what a lot of people on GT do. They make a statement that there way is the right way without any cavorts and then get bent out of shape if anyone calls them on it.

Your comment about the turner sling makes it sound like putting one on an AR is a ridiculous idea. Many people are using Turner Slings on their AR-15s.

Do you want to make some cavorts? You don't want a Turner sling on your AR because.....

faawrenchbndr
01-22-2011, 15:37
Have you read the thread?
Did you read the OP's post?

Lord forbid someone has an opinion that differ's from your's. :upeyes:
Back to the OP's topic,........

.... I think it would be a good idea to have a sling that can be used to carry a weapon on your shoulder without having to stabilize it often with your hands

K. Foster
01-22-2011, 15:55
Your doing what a lot of people on GT do. They make a statement that there way is the right way without any cavorts and then get bent out of shape if anyone calls them on it.

Seems like youíre the one thatís bent out of shape. All he said was that he wouldnít put one on an AR. I wouldnít either.
Right now, Iím using single points but the Vickers style is also a good concept.

RWBlue
01-22-2011, 16:00
Have you read the thread?
Did you read the OP's post?

Lord forbid someone has an opinion that differ's from your's. :upeyes:
Back to the OP's topic,........

I did.

I want a sling that would mainly be used at the range. I'm really unfamiliar with slings so help me out!

You have a differing opinion. You may be right, but we will never know until you finish the statement.
Finish the statement, you don't want a Turner sling on your AR because.....

K. Foster
01-22-2011, 16:39
You have a differing opinion. You may be right, but we will never know until you finish the statement.
Finish the statement, you don't want a Turner sling on your AR because.....

Because they are stiff, heavy and donít do what I need a sling to do. Which is allow the rifle to lay flat down my torso (on my armor), so I can transition to my secondary or perform other functions with my hands while keeping the rifle ready, if I need to re-engage with it.
If you are doing NRA High Power, Iím sure the Turner would be great.

RWBlue
01-22-2011, 16:42
Because they are stiff, heavy and donít do what I need a sling to do. Which is allow the rifle to lay flat down my torso (on my armor), so I can transition to my secondary or perform other functions with my hands while keeping the rifle ready, if I need to re-engage with it.
If you are doing NRA High Power, Iím sure the Turner would be great.

That is a well thought out opinion that I can respect.

faawrenchbndr
01-22-2011, 18:52
.... you don't want a Turner sling on your AR because.....

First off, I clearly see that the OP has NO experience what so ever with a sling.
Most likely this is his first "military type" rifle he has owned. The likely-hood
Of this shooter starting out needing a match type sling like a Turner is highly unlikely.

Secondly, since he is unsure what type sling would suit his needs best, I would
also refrain from suggesting a Turner match sling for the simple fact that 90%
of the people that I've ever seen with them take about two hours to figure out
how to mount the sling on a rifle & fit it to themselves.

Lastly,...he actually posted a link to a sling he is thinking about. The Turner
sling is COMPLETELY against what he is asking for advice on. Suggesting the Turner
in place of a MagPul sling is like trying to sell a person interested in a Kia a Mercedes.

And no,......I did not post this to try to prove something to you or to gain your
respect. I don't want it. I posted my original thought based upon the OP's posts.
I have enough self esteem to realize that I do not need to seek approval from
any member here. I am not nor was I upset or mad about comments. The way I
see it, members with low self esteem seem to lash out at other's when they
feel threatened or they feel backed into a corner, thinking others' will think
they are not as smart of Tacticool as they wish they are.

So,......based on the above and the OP's first two posts,.......
A Turner sling would NOT be a recommendation I would make!

RWBlue
01-22-2011, 19:12
And no,......I did not post this to try to prove something to you or to gain your
respect.

Don't worry you didn't gain any respect with your reply.

catalyst686, you want a sling to use shooting traditional positions, but don't want to commit to a competition sling, there are compromise slings like Triple K Military Sling.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Shooting-Accessories/Gun-Slings|/pc/104792580/c/104769180/sc/104579280/Triple-K-Military-Sling/739953.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd753256%3Bcat104579280

BTW, catalyst686 I am not suggesting that this is the only way. You have to tell us how you will use the sling besides walking the 15 feet from the vehicle to where you will shoot.

RMTactical
01-22-2011, 22:56
A quality 2-Point Quick Adjust will do almost anything any other can do and usually better. That is what I recommend to someone who doesn't know what they want.

NeverMore1701
01-22-2011, 23:24
A quality 2-Point Quick Adjust will do almost anything any other can do and usually better. That is what I recommend to someone who doesn't know what they want.

HA! Like YOU know anything about slings!

:tongueout:

RFPhoto
01-23-2011, 01:11
I run the padded VCAS from BlueForceFear. Super comfortable and can be adjusted on the fly.

Yup. Adjustments are quick and easy.

The Machinist
01-23-2011, 06:58
I'm a fan of the Viking VTAC. Great YouTube Vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhojNCdksYw) It's the only sling I've purchased for my AR, but I liked it enough to not feel the need for another. My only wish is that I would have purchased the padded version for my girly shoulders. :supergrin:

trlcavscout
01-23-2011, 13:32
You can get pads to help with the pain. I have seen guys use the padded part off like a tool pouch from home depot etc. Or maybe man up? :whistling: I carried the MS2 in the sand and it worked fine. It worked as designed, transitioned from strong to weak for barricade shooting, quick detach, easy 2 point conversion and again when I grab the SOB and pull like a man it slides for adjustment. I think to many pull it like their, well you know. But it is preference and what you like and feel comfortable with. Just razzin.

RWBlue
01-23-2011, 14:48

It is a good starting point.