Range Report: 930 SPX, LimbSaver pad, and some different 12 gauge shells [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: 930 SPX, LimbSaver pad, and some different 12 gauge shells

ScrappyDoo
01-20-2011, 23:00
Ok have a few valuable updates (IMHO of course) for ya'll:

I took the Mossberg 930 SPX out to the range, ... I recently reconnected with my life's best friend/basically brother after almost ten years. His family (father) is very wealthy, he does some financial type business shtuff and he is personally one of the world's most knowledgeable at his specialty of some money thing (I am not at all financially smart).. his Mom was like my x-tra [read: real] Mom and his Dad was the super trifecta of x-tra Dad, best friend's dad, and also one of my best friends, we had an awesome relationship, he treated me real good. Anyway that's not wehat this is about, we broke up sort of after 1 year oif college, and its' been a long time, we're haning again, he wanted to shoot as he has never in his life. So I took him to a close range, brought out my heavily modified extremely pimped S&W M&P 15-22, my Savage Mark II GXP [and a ton of the newer Federal Target Grade Performance .22LR rounds and some mini mags] my G23 and LWD 40-9 [and rich kid bought a ton of Federal Champ 9mm at the local-to-the-range Walmart] and because I don't shoot it much, my baby the Mossberg 930 SPX.

Well let me say, it's not even been broken in yet, but it is SO AWESOME. I have cleaned, lubed ,and generally wiped down with Rem Oil wipes the SPX for a year or so. Every once in a while I take it out . It's my HD blacktical boomstick so I like to know it works and I can work it, but I also don't want to "wear it out" LOL and really more importantly, I like to know it's fully operational and good to go, rounds at the ready, when I return home in case I have had problems with my other weapons, or while I'm cleaning them, or whatever, I know where I have the 930 hidden and I know how to get it deployed.

IT's magnificent. I always start with at least a loading full of 00 buckshot, this time I ran about 15 rounds. I usually buy Federal 100 round 7, 7 1/2, or 8 shot packs from Walmart , but also 15-pack of Winchester 00 Buck & 15-pack of Winchester Rifled Slug. So I have 6 rounds in the gun, usually 3 on the stock soft cloth carrier (with a rifled slug and a round of birdshot), and then the remaining 00 Buck round with some rifled slugs, birdshots, and other rounds in a cloth, string carrierd, Crown Royal bag for throwing in a jacket pocket, belt loop, etc. in case of emergency.

The second interlude of this is, I have installed a Limbsaver pad, the supposed "precision fit" .. well seriously WTF. I am no gunsmith and admittedly still learning how to do actual "work' on guns.. and it was like, the box came with the pad, two screws, some sort of plate I assumed was a mounting plate or such, and a piece of paper with a crude sketch. The instuctions LITERALLY consisted of one sentence, "use the paper to make a template-- or use it as a template !" some ***** like that. WTF does that mean?! I literally messed around for an hour or two and googled to high h e double hockey stick, no help .

So what did I do, I took the pad, supposedly a damn precision fit bad,. an d I went to the store, bought a 3 pack on sale of crazy glue, and super glued that ******. I did a precise job. My biggest mistake was, an hour into it, with it resting upside down hopefully bonding, was to go back, and take a new tube, and try to "super glue" ;Caulk; it around the outside circumference where the stock surface and pad surface met. This for some reason created quite a bit of mess and runs, drips, and errors. Other than that, it seemed ok. Well fast forward, I"ve never shot it but it's sat their two months,

I hve to visit the gunsmith last Friday for help with the new Bushmaster. and I brought it, he's like, I don't know wtf is going on inside there. I am actually about to install a Limbsaver, but i've not done a Mossberg 930 Before. It looks like you fit it pretty damn good tho. He then says, I'll tell you want, we can try using armor all to remove some of the excess, and if you want, I'll bang it with a rubber mallet to see if I can get it off and see what's up inside. Well after a bam and then a Bam! he's like, well wow, it looks pretty solid, so I'd say you BAM!! he whacks it hard, 'i'd say it's fine dude. Try to shine and polish it up to remove some excess glue, otherwise you're looking all good dude'.

Well I was convinced I had screwed up, and he set me straight, I was lucky. Shooting it tonight, WOW! It changed EVERYTHING! Prior to this, I was really thinking, maybe I'm not cut out for a shotgun.. you know I am saying to myself, this is a gas - operated tactical gun, and I'm having some trouble with birdshot, the buckshot was almost unmanageable and the slug or two I sent down range when noone was looking, borderline unshootable.

The Limbsaver made me dump 12 gauge 00 Buck, 6 shots, into direct center mass rapid fire. The recoil was fine, just PUSH hard not slam or hurt. And I could get the muzzle back down. Honestly the Remington target loads I was using, some bullstuff I was stocking my box with on sale, early 2010, they say like 2 3/4" 3 1/8 oz, black hulls, those were letting me write names with the 930 SPX. I mean the Limbsaver makes the 930 SPX into a truly deadly Combat Shotgun, and I can get tactical now with the safe, not hurting, more functional, limbsaver.

Also last part- those Remington targer loads were actually a lot of fun to shoot. but right NOW I can't find better deals in decent ammo than the Federal 100 round, 4-25pack value boxes... i find 7, 7 1/2, and 8 for 22.97. AWESOME and serious fun to shoot, serious value to stock for SHTF. Plus Winchester has Walmart 15 round packs of 00 Buck and Rifled Slugs for like $9 bucks, and those are fine for SHTF long range slugwork or vehicle target kabooming and seriously, I love x-pensive 00 buck HD packs but, 15 round Winchester 00 Buck packs for HD @ $8.97 is fine fine fine.

So get a Mossberg 930 SPX. Install a Limbsaver somehow, and stock up on Federal value pack 100rd boxes of Birdshot, Winchester 15ro boxes of 00 Buck and Rifled Slugs, and go shoot them at the range with your best friend(s) .....iTs incredibly fun, good for the soul and self, and great value for wallet and SHTF preparation.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-21-2011, 04:48
Good call dude, but I'm not a poosy, don't need no stinkin' limb saver. JK MAN! :D
Gotta bust your balls about it. I've put approx 35 shells through my 930 and love it to death! I'm a pretty big guy and can control the gun pretty well without modification. (6'8'' and gibbon arms) I still may grab a limbsaver though. The 930 is top notch in my book!

Ride5C2
01-21-2011, 10:10
LOL, great write up. The Limbsaver is fantastic, I'm not afraid to say it, I'm a recoil wuss and before getting the Limbsaver, really thought 12 guage was not for me. With the limbsaver, I can shoot it all day, a real game changer.

ScrappyDoo
01-21-2011, 10:34
You won't believe the difference the LimbSaver makes. And I get the big strong thing , my buddy played D1AA football ( ivy league ) and he has some huge shoulders and arms etx , holding the G23 out and steady was nothin for him. Whereas I'm using all my muscles and my skill to hold weapon out , strength for him ( and you I'm sure ) just does it.

VZ1600
01-21-2011, 10:35
I'm kinda confused with the issues you had with the Limbsaver pad. I have one on my 930 SPX and it installed in a couple mins. I have the pre-fit for the 500/590 series. It came with the same materials, the pad, mounting plate and 2 stainless screws. No sketching template or anything like that though. Maybe you bought the wrong one or it was mis-packaged?

Either way, good to hear you enjoy your SPX. BTW, I use mine as a primary HD firearm as well. Don't worry about "wearing it out". I have over 5K rounds thru mine and its functioning just as good as it did since round number 1. The only replacement I did make (as I do with ALL my shotguns) is replace the magazine spring with a Wolff extra power mag spring.

ScrappyDoo
01-21-2011, 11:59
Ride I just want to comment on your line, " real game changer" - that is exactly right. Perfectly put, it's a game changer, now, in the event I was defending my home from invasion or some other sort of combat with it, I can use it as a weapon and continue using it, firing, reloading, etc. Beforehand, I knew it was going to hurt me and probably force me to "recover" for a 5-10 sec (crucial time really) before I was looking at the sight picture, concentrating, etc. Now the LimbSaver makes me literally blasting away... no problem. I mean I was holding on target before, during, and after the shot.

and I'm not REALLY worried about wearing it out, you know what I mean lol.

oH and I wanted to point out, esp to Whiskey who I know we talked about this, I removed the Aimpoint micro. I LOOOOVE the Aimpoint micro to death, and love my shotgun, I just didn't feel right with it. I have put so much time and effort dealing with the Ghost Rings, the aimpoint threw me off. I think I'd have to REMOVE the rear ghost ring housing to use the Aimpoint, and I just didn't want to commit to that. I bought the Aimpoint for something else, I just was tempted to put it on the rail and see, and agt first it was amazing. But now I am different thinking, I don't know. I will probably buy another 300 Micro when MidwayUSA gets them back in a few days, just in case because $300 is a great price vs. $600.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-21-2011, 12:41
I've got two Eotechs and neither fit the 930 without an adjustable comb. I gave up and am just using ghost rings. Don't really worry too much about your rear ring, just put the red fiber where you want it and squeeze. I think the rear aperture is more of a focusing point vs any actual "aiming" aid.

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-22-2011, 04:42
Got a fun image for you. Since I didn't have any speedloaders to practice with I made my own! Will be buying some this week, but until then these work fine..wouldn't carry them into battle or anything! LOL if you can't duct it...**** it...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/KFK187/20110120203832.jpg

ScrappyDoo
01-22-2011, 09:21
Whiskey - Nice nice my brotha... you and I think alike! hey,. I have excellent taste and would be the highest of high class if my wallet and bank account were the highest of high... but you know, I rock Aimpoints and EOTechs when possible, Ducktape and rocks * Sticks when necessary!!! LOL you feel me?

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-22-2011, 09:42
Damn right. I'm building a Noveske right now and it's killing me!!! God why am I so cheap?

mdfd
01-22-2011, 11:10
thanks for the writeup. Shooting 00 and slugs from my 590 doesn't bother me a whole lot, but I would be interested in anything that helps with recoil and being able to get back on target faster. I reckon since the 930 SPX has the semi auto action using some of that recoil energy, it would be less than a pump like the 590 correct? I'm leaning heavily towards the 930 SPX these days...
Also as a side note, I wouldn't worry about "wearing out" the shotgun. The best HD gun is one that works reliably and one that YOU can reliably work/shoot, especially under stress and less than ideal situations. All my HD guns are well used by me and I know it will work when I need it. The action on my 590 has actually gotten smoother with use and I reckon that is the case with all my guns...
Good luck and shoot the HE(double hockey sticks) out of your HD guns!

frankr
01-23-2011, 03:05
thanks for the writeup. Shooting 00 and slugs from my 590 doesn't bother me a whole lot, but I would be interested in anything that helps with recoil and being able to get back on target faster. I reckon since the 930 SPX has the semi auto action using some of that recoil energy, it would be less than a pump like the 590 correct? I'm leaning heavily towards the 930 SPX these days...
Also as a side note, I wouldn't worry about "wearing out" the shotgun. The best HD gun is one that works reliably and one that YOU can reliably work/shoot, especially under stress and less than ideal situations. All my HD guns are well used by me and I know it will work when I need it. The action on my 590 has actually gotten smoother with use and I reckon that is the case with all my guns...
Good luck and shoot the HE(double hockey sticks) out of your HD guns!

I have a Remington 870 tactical and my 930 SPX. I find Iíll shoot my SPX twice as much as my 870. Itís just fun to shoot, I would guess the SPX has about half the recoil of my 870. I never, and I stopped counting at 1,500 shells, never had a malfunction with the 930 SPX. So for me and in my mind there is not another auto shotgun on the market that can compete with my SPX. Low price with 0 malfunctions, what more could you ask. One more point, most of the 1,500 plus shells were the low brass, target load, value pack to can get at Wal-Mart.