M590 A1 sight recommendations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M590 A1 sight recommendations

hickok45
01-21-2011, 05:04
Hey, I just picked up the Mossberg 590 A1 in the 20" barrel and magazine, without the ghost ring sights.

I'm a huge fan of ghost ring sights; however, I've been absolutely spoiled over the years by the Trak-lok ghost ring rear sight that Scattergun Technologies started using probably 20 years ago and now Wilson Combat offers on their Remington 870s.

This hardly noticeable, built-like-a-tank rear ghost ring sight is the ultimate, in my opinion. Sturdy & small, it's something you don't even know is there until you need the sights, unlike the big winged variation on other shotguns.

Guess my question is, have you ever seen this sight installed successfully on a Mossberg? Seems there might be just enough room ahead of the safety switch. Not sure.
If not, what would be the absolute lowest profile rear ghost ring sight you're aware of for these shotguns? Don't care what it costs if I could find something as small, durable, & effective as the Trak-Lok rear sight.

Thanks,
Hickok45

Victoriagotagun
01-21-2011, 09:23
I haven't seen Wilson's GRS on a 590A1 but have seen plenty of Mossbergs GRS on 870s.

The Robar GRS and MMC seems to be a little more low profile than say the LPA's but they all have wings on the sides and are made for the 870. Wilson is the only one I believe that doesn't.

GACajunGlocker
01-21-2011, 10:52
I bought the same gun but with an 18.5" barrel with regular rifle sights on it. Their version of the ghost ring was just too high and I just couldn't get used to it....even though I spent an hour in the gun shop "fondling" all the Mossbergs. I also wanted a more accurate sight picture than what I could get with just a bead sight, so I chose the rifle sights.

While not what you were asking for specifically I found a set of Ameriglo 3 dot night sights that present the same sight picture as I have on my Glocks with night sight. You can find it here.

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/shotgun-sights/mossberg/night-sights/complete-sets

[huge fan of your Youtube videos and am a channel subscriber.....life is good]

ScrappyDoo
01-21-2011, 13:08
I Love the ghost rings on my 930 SPX but you know, they are kind of big winged now that you mention it. It's kind of funny you say that. I have the factory-installed LPA ghost ring aperture and whole winged fortress for it, and I was looking at a 590A1 at my local gunshop recently... Real nice, I think it was 18.5" and 6 shot and it had ghost rings but the guy kept trying to get me to buy a 870 Express that had ghost rings, and I remember thinking, these things are so small, look at these, you call these Ghost Ring Sights? But now that you explain it that way, you make sense.

I still want that 590A1 and I love the LPA setup on my 930 SPX but I don't know if you'd like the LPA cause of its size... Got a pic of your new 590A1?

ScrappyDoo
01-21-2011, 13:11
by the way Sir, extremely big fan, love your shows, you taught me an extremely lot of stuff in the past year I've been following you... Back in 2006 my Dad and I took a trip from Jersey here, down to Crossville, TN to look at a bar he was thinking of buying. We wound up barely considering it cause the place was not what it was described on the website etc. but now I keep busting his chops to look for a place to buy in that general area of TN so we could get you in there and maybe trade some burgers, beers, wings, etc. for some range time and a video. Again thank you Sir huge fan.

nastytrigger
01-21-2011, 16:30
I bought my 590 with just the bead. Thought about getting ghost rings, or the 3-dot sights. Looked into it, but thought it was too much work and probably worth it to trade the old and get what I wanted on a new one. Ended up trying a Primary Arms micro dot and love it.

What rear sight is on this 590 pic I found on the internet? I know it has a Primary Arms optic and a bead up front. Not sure how this person uses the rear sight + optic + bead setup?
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5241/5247544625_f62f561c2f_b.jpg

Victoriagotagun
01-21-2011, 17:05
What rear sight is on this 590 pic I found on the internet? I know it has a Primary Arms optic and a bead up front. Not sure how this person uses the rear sight + optic + bead setup?
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5241/5247544625_f62f561c2f_b.jpg

That is a rear LPA GRS.

nastytrigger
01-21-2011, 17:09
That is a rear LPA GRS.

Thank you!