What causes hammer follow? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What causes hammer follow?

SIGShooter
01-21-2011, 18:39
I'm having a weird occurrence that has never happened before with my TRS.

Hammer follow

It has never done this before. It started on Sunday after a range trip. 250 rounds down range, no issues. I didn't plan on cleaning it until after the next range trip so I just added some CLP for a little extra lube.

After the CLP, I released the slide and the hammer dropped to the half cocked position. Here's the weird thing, I released the slide while holding the pistol in my left hand and this happened. 3 out of 5 times. I switched hands and it didn't happen. This never happened while shooting.

Now, Monday I went back to the range, gun in the same fashion I left it. I put 490 rounds down range. CLP after every 200 rounds. No issues with the hammer dropping to half cock. Put the gun away and left it for cleaning this week. I cleaned it yesterday and did a complete functions check on it.

I locked the slide back, gun in my right hand, released the slide and the hammer dropped to half cock.

I'm kind of at a loss right now. I will be contacting Baer on Monday. But until then, what can I check or do to maybe rectify this myself? I won't be carrying it until it's fixed.

I appreciate any advice in advance.

Quack
01-21-2011, 18:43
weak sear spring, trigger bounce, damaged sear or hammer.

SIGShooter
01-21-2011, 18:47
Can you explain trigger bounce?

Quack
01-21-2011, 18:49
Trigger bounce is when the slide slams forward, the trigger "bounces" enough to trip the sear.
when releasing the slide on an empty chamber, there is no resistance from feeding a round from the magazine or the cushioning the round provides as it goes into battery.

are you dropping on an empty chamber?

here's a set of tests i do:

first lock the slide back, pull/hold the trigger forward, release the slide.
does the hammer drop?
if so, then it's the sear spring tension or hammer/sear engagment issue.

now if it didn't drop, do the same thing but don't hold the trigger forward and drop the slide.
does the hammer follow? if so, then you are getting trigger bounce. to correct this, increase tension on the center leg of the sear spring.

SIGShooter
01-21-2011, 19:07
When it first happened I did drop the slide on an empty chamber. I repeated the process 4 more times.

I will give your test a run. I have new sear springs at home but didn't ring any with me.

Quack
01-21-2011, 19:08
forgot to add that the tests are also done while holding the grip safety depressed.

and holding the trigger forward as in the opposite direction than you would when you pull the trigger to fire it.

FLIPPER 348
01-21-2011, 19:09
weak sear spring, trigger bounce, damaged sear or hammer.

this

Has anyone done a 'trigger' job on this 1911??

SIGShooter
01-21-2011, 19:22
this

Has anyone done a 'trigger' job on this 1911??

No, box stock from Baer.

SIGShooter
01-21-2011, 19:23
forgot to add that the tests are also done while holding the grip safety depressed.

and holding the trigger forward as in the opposite direction than you would when you pull the trigger to fire it.

You're making fun of me with this post aren't you…

No, I'm just kidding. I understood your directions.

javelinadave
01-21-2011, 19:23
My money is on the sear.

Quack
01-21-2011, 19:48
You're making fun of me with this post aren't you…

No, I'm just kidding. I understood your directions.

now i haven't cracked on you about Sig's yet, so i'm being nice so far :rofl:

Jason D
01-22-2011, 17:21
Patrick Sweeny has something he calls the flick test.
It's pretty much having the grip safety compressed, slide closed, and pulling the hammer back beyond the cocking point and letting it go. He claims you can do that all day without damaging the gun.

If the hammer falls at any point during this test, it's probably the sear spring.
I had a .45 that started doing this after a couple hundred rounds.

When I finally took the gun apart I found that the manufacturer has ground the side of the sear spiring to give the gun a lighter pull. What it really did was ruin the spring.

I had to adjust the tension on a new Clark spring and install that.

Quack
01-22-2011, 18:01
I use Colt sear springs. It's what others, such as C&S, use in their trigger kits.

Jason D
01-22-2011, 18:15
I use Colt sear springs. It's what others, such as C&S, use in their trigger kits.

I called Brownells tech services to find out what Spring to get.
The guy I talked to seemed to think the Colt Springs were over priced and over rated.

The only reason I picked Clark, was because it was cheaper at the time.
Either way my problem was solved and the gun will pass any test thrown at it.
Since the weather was getting bad at the time, I have yet to do more than just test fire it.

Quack
01-22-2011, 18:22
colt springs are about $4 vs. the same C&S springs for $7

SIGShooter
01-22-2011, 18:27
Patrick Sweeny has something he calls the flick test.
It's pretty much having the grip safety compressed, slide closed, and pulling the hammer back beyond the cocking point and letting it go. He claims you can do that all day without damaging the gun.

If the hammer falls at any point during this test, it's probably the sear spring.
I had a .45 that started doing this after a couple hundred rounds.

When I finally took the gun apart I found that the manufacturer has ground the side of the sear spiring to give the gun a lighter pull. What it really did was ruin the spring.

I had to adjust the tension on a new Clark spring and install that.

I have his book for the 1911. I tried that same test. Nothing has happened. Well, except for a blister on my thumb.

I have spare sear springs but they are at home and I'm in Maryland.

SIGShooter
01-22-2011, 18:33
Quack,

I'm going to go with trigger bounce.

Locking the slide to the rear, empty chamber, holding the trigger in the forward position, the hammer will not fall to the half cocked position. Now, not holding the trigger, it will fall.

One thing I have noticed…

My trigger has a lot of take up. It has never had this much before. I don't have a ruler but my guess would be it has some free travel of about 1-1.5mm. Maybe more but I have no way to measure it. That is, until it actually engages the sear.

I've got roughly 3,000 rounds through this gun so far.

Quack
01-22-2011, 18:37
Add some tension to the center leg of the spring.

SIGShooter
01-22-2011, 18:46
Okay, just got done adjusting the sear spring…

A huge difference! The trigger doesn't have as much free movement, the reset is positive (Before I adjusted the sear spring the reset was sloppy and very weak).

I will go through the tests again and see what comes of it.

As soon as I get home I will change out the sear spring.

Which brings me to another question…How many rounds until I replace the sear spring? This is the original one in the gun.

Quack
01-22-2011, 19:01
Good to hear. Not sure on recommended spring replacement intervals.

SIGShooter
01-22-2011, 19:05
I'm going to get a few of the Colt sear springs. I need to stock up on some supplies anyway.

Thank you very much Quack, I appreciate the help!

Quack
01-22-2011, 19:10
Now its time to give you trouble about Sigs. :animlol:

SIGShooter
01-22-2011, 19:45
Now its time to give you trouble about Sigs. :animlol:

That's cool…

Not as bad as your flat triggers...:whistling:

CAcop
01-22-2011, 20:45
Which brings me to another question…How many rounds until I replace the sear spring? This is the original one in the gun.

At Colt armorer school they only mentioned recoil spring intervals. 3,000 rounds for a Govt model. No mention of other springs. I suppose you could replace them all at that interval but the sear spring is not really doing as much work/movement as the recoil spring. I think they look at it like the recoil spring replacement cuts down on wear and the other springs don't really wear parts if not replaced.

Quack
01-22-2011, 20:58
from Hilton:

The mainspring and sear spring are under a very light load, and quality units tend to last longer than the round count milestones discussed below. Neither spring typically requires replacement in normal service, which includes keeping the hammer cocked at all times.

FLIPPER 348
01-22-2011, 21:06
I have a Colt pushing 100 years old and the springs all work just fine.

.....I don't shoot it very often though!!