Fore end nut removal [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fore end nut removal

glockrod
01-22-2011, 11:04
I am trying to switch out to new fore ends on both my 870 and Mossy 500. What is the majic for getting them off. I have removed the Mossy one before and I think it is accessible with nothing more than a flat piece of metal. The Remmy one is recessed into the fore end, so how do I get it out???
Right off, I am thinking a pair of needle nose pliers spread to fit the nut, but I dont want to scar it up. Is there a better way without buying a special tool?

Rod

aippi
01-22-2011, 13:20
There is no better way then the using the proper forend tube wrench and having two shotguns you need this tool. You can get one that fits both weapons from Brownells or Midway USA

Until then for the 870. You will find that the slide your breech bolt sits on serves as a forend wrench in an emergency. Take it and find the end that fits down into the slots in the forend tube nut.

About these pliers and other methods. I rebuild these weapons for a living and I have seen dozens come in with damaged forend tube nuts from all these DIY methods and tools. Since the forend seldomed needs to be removed any of those methods will work but be careful not to damage anything. If your wepaon is not dropped in the sand or gets caught in the rain I only recommend removing the forend when you do your once a year total break down and cleaning. So yes, normal use can get by with no forend wrench but if you use these shotguns and are out in the weather a lot, get a forend wrench and do it right.

pupcuss27
01-22-2011, 13:29
In a pinch you can use a set of needle nose pliers to put into the two notches to loosen the tube. Although if you disengage the rails from the receiver, all comes off.

Check these You Tubes for help.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=remington+870+disassembly&aq=1m

Pup

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/7012/hopeforchange2012.jpg

sciolist
01-22-2011, 14:23
The fore end on my 870 was a little loose from the factory. I cut a short section of 1/8" AL bar to use as a spanner. Just stick it place and rotate with pliers.

glockrod
01-22-2011, 19:08
My original plan worked like a charm. The needlenose pliers fit perfectly for loosening and tightening the nut on the new fore end.

Rod

swinokur
01-23-2011, 06:00
It's is kind of expensive but the Surefire fore ends come with a little flat piece of metal to remove the fore end nut. Cheaper to do what Aippi says.

:whistling:

sgt-spam
01-23-2011, 06:06
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41253/sku=687-000-065/Product/PUMP_SHOTGUN_ACTION_TUBE_NUT_WRENCH

This was easier for me than needle nose pliers, but I also like to buy tools...

gnasty1521
01-23-2011, 09:03
It's out of stock...

byf43
01-25-2011, 05:55
Many years ago, I bought a Pachmayr "Vindicator" forend, and needed to remove the forend on my 870.

Being the cheap son-of-a-gun that I am, I measured the diameter and got a piece of pipe and cut it, until I had two 'nubs' that fit the forend nut.
(I forget the diameter of the pipe. I loaned it to a guy, and he moved and took the tool!)

It only took a few minutes to cut the black pipe with a dremel and cut-off wheels, then dressed to size with a file.
Cross-drill a hole and put a piece of steel rod through it, and you've got lots of torque available (not really needed) to remove the forend nut.