feeding issues [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : feeding issues

buyobuyo
01-22-2011, 16:11
Hello, all. My older brother has a Charles Daly 1911 (full size I think) that has feeding problems, and I was hoping you all might be able to shine some light on the problem. From his explanation of the problem, the gun extracts/ejects the brass with out a problem, but the next round doesn't feed properly and jams the gun. He says it happens almost every magazine, and he shoots whatever is cheap (usually WWB). He has a variety of mags from Chip McCormick, Colt, and MecGar. He also has a Colt Commander. He doesn't have any problems with it, so I don't think it's an ammo or mag problem.

I don't own a 1911, and I haven't personally seen the problem. The only time I've seen the gun is when we went shooting this past summer. I ran 50 rounds of the cheapest stuff I could find at Cabela's through his Charles Daly and Colt without issue.

Thanks.

GeorgiaRedfish
01-22-2011, 16:22
Send it to the manufacturer they will fix it.

buyobuyo
01-22-2011, 19:12
Send it to the manufacturer they will fix it.

Charles Daly has been out of business for a year now.

I know these problems have been on going for at least the last 2-3 years. He's had a local gunsmith work on it a few times. Every time it's supposedly fixed, but he keeps having the same problems.

Quack
01-22-2011, 20:16
more details on how it's not feeding properly.

GeorgiaRedfish
01-22-2011, 20:51
Charles Daly has been out of business for a year now.

I know these problems have been on going for at least the last 2-3 years. He's had a local gunsmith work on it a few times. Every time it's supposedly fixed, but he keeps having the same problems.
You're right I was thinking that they were Armscor, but I remember now.

buyobuyo
01-23-2011, 07:35
more details on how it's not feeding properly.

I'll give him a call later today and see what he says. He doesn't make it out shooting very often, so I doubt a picture is possible.

MajorD
01-23-2011, 07:43
if mags and ammo are eliminated as the problem (any 1911 should feed any brand of hardball imo) then you need to think extractor tension feedramp burrs and improper fit of link/barrel lugs

Quack
01-23-2011, 08:42
even though he tried different mags, it still could be an issue.
but it could be one of the things MajorD had mentioned.

buyobuyo
01-27-2011, 19:26
Finally got a chance to call my brother for clarification on his issues. He said he gets three types of failures.

1) failure to extract
2) failure to completely chamber (slide ~1/8" out of battery)
3) stovepipe (round standing on end)

When he had the gun at the gunsmith's being looked out, they replaced the extractor and spring.

Quack
01-27-2011, 19:29
Did they just replace the extractor, or did they also fit it?

buyobuyo
01-27-2011, 20:04
Sounds like he's on his second new extractor. My brother said he put one in that he bought at a gun show, and the gunsmith replaced that one with another new one. He didn't mention if the smith fitted the new one or not, so I'm not sure if he just doesn't know or if it wasn't fitted.

Quack
01-27-2011, 20:07
if it wasn't fit, then the tension may be in-correct and it may need some attention on the hook.

buyobuyo
01-28-2011, 14:34
Any suggestions or links on what to look at/try? From one thread I was reading on here, too little tension would cause the failure to extract, and too much tension would cause the failure to fully chamber. Both of which are happening.

Jim S.
01-28-2011, 14:39
It fits the issues of an out of tension extractor. Too tight to be exact.
I would take a slight bit of tension out of the extractor and see what it does.
If you don't have the tool for this we used to put the extractor in the slide - Backwards.
Round end in first about half way and pull on the hook end to "Unbend it".
That will take some of the tension out of it.
It may take a few tries to get it right.
If you make it too loose it will not extract right but the other problems will go away.

Jason D
01-28-2011, 15:24
Something not mentioned, but that I have run into myself....

An over powered recoil spring can cause those types of malfunctions.
You have a slide not getting back all the way, and closing to fast.

Try a 16 pound recoil spring.