What's a good mate for a Spike's lower? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's a good mate for a Spike's lower?

DieselNut
01-22-2011, 20:55
Any of you that have a spikes lower, what upper did you buy for it? How close does the finish match? Some contenders I'm looking at are spikes, bcm, yhm, dsa, rra, stag etc (with more consideration towards bcm since you all think highly of it) or I may buy a spikes upper and put a bcm barrel on it. Any ideas?

Captains1911
01-22-2011, 21:00
You're asking an extremely vague question.

ETA: Perhaps I misunderstood. There is no way to tell what finishes will match up unless you have both pieces in your hand. Finish color and upper/lower fit vary even between uppers and lowers of the same manufacturer.

NeverMore1701
01-22-2011, 21:19
They'll all vary between individual specimens of the same brand.

Short answer: It doesn't really matter as far as fit/finish goes, it's a crapshoot.

DieselNut
01-22-2011, 21:22
They'll all vary between individual specimens of the same brand.

Short answer: It doesn't really matter as far as fit/finish goes, it's a crapshoot.

Oh..... I had no idea. Thanks for the info

RMTactical
01-22-2011, 21:47
It can be a crap shoot, even amongst two halves of the same make at times. That said, you would be surprised how closely two completely different brands can mate.

Reason being, there are only a handful of forges out there producing all of the receivers out there for everyone. Also, quality and spec "can" vary but these days most everyone out there is getting out good stuff. Even many of the "lower tier" manufacturers use as good a stripped receiver as the best company's, and in many cases get it from the same place as another.

What you should be more concerned with is getting a quality barrel, BCG, and features that will fit your desired specifications and needs.

If you are looking for the best reliability, companies like LMT, BCM, Colt, etc... tend to be the ones that people discuss.

DieselNut
01-23-2011, 06:58
Thanks for the info!

Randolph da man
01-23-2011, 11:52
Vulcan, or Hess if you can find one :whistling:

tbone86
01-24-2011, 17:50
I put a DPMS upper on my spikes lower and the fit is very tight and snug, no need for an accuwedge. But if I had to do it all over again I would have gone with a BCM mid length upper....

DieselNut
01-25-2011, 04:56

Oh yeah. Thats it right there LOL :rofl:

faawrenchbndr
01-25-2011, 05:00

Sure,....if you are building a mailbox post.

Flashbang1063
01-25-2011, 07:42
I put a BCM mid-length upper on my spikes lower. Very little play and the color match is great.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/dgimagesphotography/BCM%20-%20Spikes%20Build/IMG_2512.jpg

ETA: When I was doing my build I wasn't even thinking color match....I was more concerned with getting a good barrel, BCG etc.....the color match was just a bonus.

DieselNut
01-25-2011, 08:35
I keep hearing more and more good things about BCM. I've been looking at alot if different uppers and so far BCM seems like it has a nice midlength I'm really leaning towards.

majette
01-25-2011, 08:53
I keep hearing more and more good things about BCM. I've been looking at alot if different uppers and so far BCM seems like it has a nice midlength I'm really leaning towards.

if you do not have the lower already, go for a complete bcm rifle. a local shop had one with a quad rail and it was very light and balanced, like they took a page from knight's.

DieselNut
01-25-2011, 12:23
I already have a spikes lower. I got it from AIM for $79 shipped. I've got a DD LPK on order so far. I may build this one step by step still yet. I'm like a damn woman trying to figure out what shoes to wear on Saturday night.

bubbatime
01-26-2011, 18:17
I love my spikes lower / BCM upper / Daniel Defense parts kit.