External Battery for Laptop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : External Battery for Laptop

Sharky7
01-23-2011, 15:33
Looking for an external battery/power source for a laptop with a considerable run time....Does anyone know of one?

For example, when you go to the hospital and they have that registration cart with a computer on it, but it is all wireless. I'm assuming there has to be some sort of battery power source that allows it all to run. I'm looking for something like that, but not having very good luck with my google-fu and have never had to shop for such an item before.

Any help would be appreciated.

MySiK26
01-23-2011, 15:41
Why not just buy a spare battery for your laptop? They have some extended batteries as well, sort of like an extended magazine for guns :supergrin:

MySiK26
01-23-2011, 15:41
what laptop and model do you have?

Sharky7
01-23-2011, 15:47
It's for a police dept. Looking to set up a laptop in the trunk of a vehicle to monitor external wireless cameras, but I need the laptop to be able to run for at least 24 hours at a time.

Most laptops have 8 hour batteries or so, but we can't be changing batteries every shift. Just has to be an external power source.

Hackett
01-23-2011, 16:00
sounds a bit creepy, but why not just get a power converter and plug it in to the car like everything else electronic in the car?

or put a beefier alternator and second battery in the trunk. There are plenty of simple solutions this even if the reason for the laptop is very big brother like.

MySiK26
01-23-2011, 16:29
sounds a bit creepy, but why not just get a power converter and plug it in to the car like everything else electronic in the car?

or put a beefier alternator and second battery in the trunk. There are plenty of simple solutions this even if the reason for the laptop is very big brother like.

Both good ideas. I'd go with the power inverter route, you'd just have to run the wires to the trunk for the inverter.