Custom 1911's, how to choose? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Custom 1911's, how to choose?

ajstrider
01-23-2011, 18:35
I am sort of in the market, not fully committed though, to buying a custom (basically stock high end job from one of the many makers out there) 1911 but am at a loss since all I can do is look at pictures of them. I have it narrowed down to a Wilson Combat CQB, Ed Brown Special Forces, or Nighthawk GRP, they seem to have the options I desire on my gun. But without getting to hold one and feel how they fit my hands, due to the different beavertail grips and checkering effects. It is hard for me to spend well over 2k on a gun that I can't for sure tell I like. How do you guys solve this problem?

GJ1981
01-23-2011, 18:39
There isn't a good solution, you should try to find one to handle before buying.

All three of those have different grip safeties that may not work well for you. I don't like the CMC style NH uses, it just doesn't do it for me.

The other thing is the SF, some people don't like the scallops. It's a lot of money to spend on something you may not like.

If you don't handle one before, you may not get the one that works best for you.

glock2740
01-23-2011, 18:41
Wilson will do it any way you want it. :thumbsup:

jjdubious48195
01-23-2011, 18:43
If you are looking at Wilson or Ed Brown, then you are going to spend at least $2500 or better total. My suggestion, FORGET all those others and take a good hard look at GUNCRAFTER INDUSTRIES. I own all three of the top so called semi-custom guns. My best gun is a Les Baer SRP, that is until I get my Guncrafter in March. I know from experience and other members will back me up on this, Guncrafter Industries is a STEP UP on the rest of those other makers. I would put a Guncrafter Gun up against anything out there at any price.:supergrin:

Hokie1911
01-23-2011, 18:44
There are enough of us around here that someone may live near you. If so, we are a friendly enough bunch that I'm sure whoever would meet you at a range to let you run a few mags through to check other stuff out. Quack lives right by me and poof....I ordered a Kobra Carry. Need to to hook up Lawdog now to shoot his Guncrafter. That may be next. :supergrin:

glock2740
01-23-2011, 19:01
If you are looking at Wilson or Ed Brown, then you are going to spend at least $2500 or better total. My suggestion, FORGET all those others and take a good hard look at GUNCRAFTER INDUSTRIES. I own all three of the top so called semi-custom guns. My best gun is a Les Baer SRP, that is until I get my Guncrafter in March. I know from experience and other members will back me up on this, Guncrafter Industries is a STEP UP on the rest of those other makers. I would put a Guncrafter Gun up against anything out there at any price.:supergrin:
I agree. I have a GC No Name Commander, and it's a VERY well made gun. Best 1911 going IMO. But, Alex won't change many things though, so you better like it like he makes it. If you want it made to your specs, then Wilson is the way to go. Baer makes a great gun, but Les builds them his way too. NH will pretty much make it to order, but they've outpriced theirselves IMO. Brown offers a few options, but not many. I was able to have Alex flush crown my barrel and round the butt, but that's about as far as he deviates from his standard set up. And JJ, you're not joking when you say that your Baer is the best gun until you get your GC. You're gonna love it. :thumbsup:

bac1023
01-23-2011, 20:12
You can't go wrong with any of the big four semi-custom shops.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_2532.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_2529.jpg

bac1023
01-23-2011, 20:14
Don't forget Springfield or Guncrafter either.

They build some of the best semi-custom 1911s around. :)

R0CKETMAN
01-23-2011, 20:26
For 2k, Baer all the way

glock2740
01-23-2011, 20:36
You can't go wrong with any of the big four semi-custom shops.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_2532.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/000_2529.jpg

Don't forget Springfield or Guncrafter either.

They build some of the best semi-custom 1911s around. :)
I was about to say. Glad you caught yourself. :supergrin:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-23-2011, 20:41

If you went with George at Gunslingers, a 5" Ed brown is about $2k (he does below MSRP). And, MSRP is still only $2200. So, not entirely true.

I have shot Nighthawks and handled Wilsons and Les Baers. I personally prefer Ed Browns and Springfield Custom Shop guns.

But they are right - try to handle some.

I was fortunate that my local shop started to sell Nighthawks, and I handled Browns, Springfield Professionals, Les Baers, Wilsons and others at a shop in Houston. They charge ABOVE MSRP, so I'd never buy anything there. But you should SEE all the 1911s they have.

bac1023
01-23-2011, 21:01
I was about to say. Glad you caught yourself. :supergrin:

I just didn't have a pic of all of those together. ;)

youngAR
01-23-2011, 21:06
Try to find a gently used Rock River. Their 1911's were top notch before they stopped producing them due to the Obama scare.

bac1023
01-23-2011, 21:22
Try to find a gently used Rock River. Their 1911's were top notch before they stopped producing them due to the Obama scare.

Yeah, they're outstanding, especially the Limited Match. :supergrin:

thecableguy
01-23-2011, 21:24
Theres a TRS for sale right now in the classifieds here for 1500.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1307671
I don't know about the price maybe someone else here might chime in on that but I think it might be worth it.
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab329/ehrenlowers/IMG_1368.jpg
And no its not mine.

bac1023
01-23-2011, 21:30
It looks like someone added a magwell to that TRS. :dunno:

OrangeDonkey
01-23-2011, 21:53
I would go Springfield or Wilson. I'm not a fan of Baers and don't have any experience with NH.

Officer's Match
01-23-2011, 22:17
My money would go to SACS (Springfield Armory Customshop) or Les Baer. I've had Brown's and Wilson's also and liked them very much, but I much prefer the way a LB or SACS feels in my hands.

samuse
01-23-2011, 22:20
If you don't know what you want in a custom gun, you might not realize what's better about 'em.

I really think that the 1911 is best learned from the basics up.

A G.I. type gun will do anything a custom will do. All the bells and whistles are there for convenience and bling.

Starting out with a basic Colt or Springfield will give you a good feel for the platform, you'll know what you want to change after a few classes and/or matches.

My first 1911 had all the extended junk and everything but a magwell.

Now, I run a 1911 dimensionally the same as a G.I. 1911 A-1 with the exception of taller sights.

You just have to see what you like.

glock2740
01-23-2011, 22:30
A G.I. type gun will do anything a custom will do. All the bells and whistles are there for convenience and bling.

:rofl:I've heard it all now. :rofl:

kirgi08
01-23-2011, 22:38
I want a GC.'08. :woohoo:

glock2740
01-23-2011, 22:54
I want a GC.'08. :woohoo:
They're hard to beat. This is my hardchromed GC No Name Commander.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/HC3.jpg

Quack
01-23-2011, 23:00
SACS...
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1104426119_a6448-L.jpg

or the GC Hello Kitty
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1119855842_mHe8D-O.jpg

Hokie1911
01-23-2011, 23:01

:drool:

glock2740
01-23-2011, 23:24
SACS...

or the GC Hello Kitty
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1119855842_mHe8D-O.jpg
Hey Quack, if I put a damn flat trigger on that NN, will you quit doing that hello kitty s h i t to my gun? :dunno:

:rofl:

kirgi08
01-24-2011, 00:21

EXACTLY what I want,different finish though.'08.

Quack
01-24-2011, 00:23
EXACTLY what I want,different finish though.'08.

you want pink chrome don't you?

kirgi08
01-24-2011, 00:38
you want pink chrome don't you?

And kill your dream,don't be silly.:whistling:

I want a GC in a flat tone color.HC/SS doesn't impress me.'08. :wavey:

samuse
01-24-2011, 02:16
:rofl:I've heard it all now. :rofl:

They can be mechanically capable of better accuracy that probably won't be realized by anyone doing anything other than shooting down a lane at a range off a rest.

What else??

R0CKETMAN
01-24-2011, 04:19
What else??

"They" do not have a lowered and flared ejection port.

I'd agree with you on the accuracy in capable hands.

samuse
01-24-2011, 07:07
"They" do not have a lowered and flared ejection port.

I'd agree with you on the accuracy in capable hands.

What does that have to do with anything besides a flat spot on the brass?

"They" eject just fine with a short ejector and G.I. port.

Practical accuracy and functionality is what I'm talking about.

The OP wants to blow 2K+ on a custom 1911 and doesn't know what he wants it to do.

I'm just throwin' it out there that the customs don't really "do" anything a 1943 Rand won't.

They're the same platform, shooting the same round, with the same capacity. Some just have more decorations.

glock2740
01-24-2011, 08:03
What does that have to do with anything besides a flat spot on the brass?

"They" eject just fine with a short ejector and G.I. port.

Practical accuracy and functionality is what I'm talking about.

The OP wants to blow 2K+ on a custom 1911 and doesn't know what he wants it to do.

I'm just throwin' it out there that the customs don't really "do" anything a 1943 Rand won't.

They're the same platform, shooting the same round, with the same capacity. Some just have more decorations.
Custom guns aren't all about looks. Many hours of precise handfitting are required to get a 1911 to be accurate. A 1943 Rand, can achieve those results, after being worked on quite a bit, by a competent gunsmith. That's why GI 1911's make good base guns for custom work. So, basically you're saying that a Springfield GI, is every bit as accurate as their Pro model?

GJ1981
01-24-2011, 09:07
So, basically you're saying that a Springfield GI, is every bit as accurate as their Pro model?

No dog in this fight but here's my opinion from owning both.

I never shoot from a rest, but I'm sure the Pro would win. In realistic training, the difference between the two is minimal. There is too much talk about accuracy where the numbers are based from rests with a slow string of fire. If it is a range pistol, then I sure this matters, but if it's a CCW pistol, that's a different story.

I can get chest and head hits just as fast as any of my more expensive 1911's with just about any pistol I own, and that's what matters to me.

Everyone's experience will vary I guess, but unless the accuracy numbers are offhand at a realistic speed, it doesn't mean much.

Glockdude1
01-24-2011, 09:13

For what Wilson charges, they better!!

:cool:

Hokie1911
01-24-2011, 09:24

So does Glock.....as long as you like black, square, and ugly. :tongueout:

glock2740
01-24-2011, 12:46

I never shoot from a rest, but I'm sure the Pro would win. In realistic training, the difference between the two is minimal. There is too much talk about accuracy where the numbers are based from rests with a slow string of fire. If it is a range pistol, then I sure this matters, but if it's a CCW pistol, that's a different story.

I can get chest and head hits just as fast as any of my more expensive 1911's with just about any pistol I own, and that's what matters to me.

Everyone's experience will vary I guess, but unless the accuracy numbers are offhand at a realistic speed, it doesn't mean much.
I guess it's how much money you want to spend and what level of quality you're looking for in a 1911. Yeah, they all shoot .45ACP rounds, and at SD distances, can probably all make COM hits on a target. But, if that's all that matters, then why are all the top shooters just using the cheapest GI 1911's that they could find? The extra money could be better spent on ammo. You even said it yourself, the you could get chest and head hits as fast as any of your more expensive 1911's, and that's what matters to you. So, why do you own any expensive 1911's? Is it just the looks? My CQB and No Name look about as plain as any GI 1911 out there. :dunno:

Glockdude1
01-24-2011, 12:48

Hold on, stop.

They come in Green too......... :tongueout:

Hokie1911
01-24-2011, 12:52
Hold on, stop.

They come in Green too......... :tongueout:

Good call. So it's actually BLACK, square, ugly.....and UGLIER. :whistling:

glock2740
01-24-2011, 12:54
For what Wilson charges, they better!!

:cool:
True, but none of them ar cheap. NH will pretty much do it your way too...for a price. :)

GJ1981
01-24-2011, 13:16
I guess it's how much money you want to spend and what level of quality you're looking for in a 1911. Yeah, they all shoot .45ACP rounds, and at SD distances, can probably all make COM hits on a target. But, if that's all that matters, then why are all the top shooters just using the cheapest GI 1911's that they could find?

Can't speak for them so I don't know. You could look at when Todd Jarrett was using a Para. What, if anything, was done to it is speculation, but he did fine with a cheap gun.

I think it really depends on what you mean by top shooters, more so, what type of shooter? Are you talking about Bullseye? IPSC? IDPA? USPCA?

BE I'll give you, it's purpose is accuracy. I never got into anything other than IDPA so don't know about the others.

Might be a little off topic, but look at Dave Sevigny. He's running a Glock, which shows, IMO, that it is all about the shooter and their preference on what they run and why.

The extra money could be better spent on ammo.

If I didn't have the funds to buy what I have, that's exactly what I would have done.

So, why do you own any expensive 1911's? Is it just the looks?

I've bought what I have for one reason, I can...just that simple. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I wish I would have kept things more simple and not gone as crazy as I have. It would have equaled me shooting closer to 10K a year and more time in training classes, but you live an learn.

The one thing I will not argue about is the high dollar 1911's typically have better quality parts, which should be fitted correctly, and that's what can set them apart from others. A bunch of people I know hardly shoot, maybe 1500 rounds a year, so those types would probably never notice the difference.

Me, I don't put "looks" anywhere near the top when choosing any pistol.

1. Reliability
2. Durability
3. Accuracy
4. Looks/Feel

MD357
01-24-2011, 13:30

Actually, guns that have been fitted better will perform better with follow up shots, due to the barrel lining up in the same exact place (hopefully) and the trigger job. (again... hopefully) This is an assumption on a comparison between a Pro and GI.

carguy2244
01-24-2011, 13:34

and 100% reliable - without a gunsmith's custom tuning.

GJ1981
01-24-2011, 13:46
Actually, guns that have been fitted better will perform better with follow up shots, due to the barrel lining up in the same exact place (hopefully) and the trigger job. (again... hopefully) This is an assumption on a comparison between a Pro and GI.

I agree, but to what extent given the above criteria?

I'm not against quality parts and fitting, I'm just going along with an earlier post of "practical accuracy and function" for someone who may not know what they want out of a 1911.

I think it would be nice if there was a definitive answer, but I think it's a 9mm vs 45, etc. type of debate.

Hokie1911
01-24-2011, 14:06

Not being a smartass, but why exactly do you continue to hang out and post in this sub-forum? Your disdain for the 1911 platform is obvious and tend to reiterate it with every post. That would be the equivalent of someone hanging out in General Glocking bashing Glock at every opportunity. :dunno:

BlayGlock
01-24-2011, 14:15
How do you guys solve this problem?

By buying a Guncrafter No Name from Dave.

MD357
01-24-2011, 14:15

but not 100% without the latest recall..... er...... "upgrade." See 4th gens for reference. :whistling:

Hokie1911
01-24-2011, 14:20

:agree: BlayGlock is a wise man.

Hokie1911
01-24-2011, 15:11
Custom guns aren't all about looks. Many hours of precise handfitting are required to get a 1911 to be accurate. A 1943 Rand, can achieve those results, after being worked on quite a bit, by a competent gunsmith. That's why GI 1911's make good base guns for custom work. So, basically you're saying that a Springfield GI, is every bit as accurate as their Pro model?

Yeah Joe, but the GI can do THIS. :supergrin:

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/HokiePS7/1911-1.gif

glock2740
01-24-2011, 15:43
:thumbsup:

glock2740
01-24-2011, 15:45
Yeah Joe, but the GI can do THIS. :supergrin:

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/HokiePS7/1911-1.gif
Only with +P Gold Dots. :rofl:

Hokie1911
01-24-2011, 15:47
:thumbsup:

When's he getting the ULC to you? Can't wait to see that one.

ajstrider
01-24-2011, 16:55
Yay, I started a bunch of fights! In February there is a big gun show in Louisville, maybe I will have to venture up there and see if I can get my hands on some of these higher end guns.

I don't remember who said that "I want to spend 2k on a custom gun but I don't know what I want it to do..." but I know exactly what I want it to do, I am simply trying to get some help on choosing between the several different makers out there. This is why I listed the three models I am looking at, because they have all the options on them that I am looking for.

glock2740
01-24-2011, 16:59
When's he getting the ULC to you? Can't wait to see that one.
Sounds like it may be sometime in March. :dunno:I can't wait to see it myself. :cool: