Verizon DSL will not play with anything except Windows? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Verizon DSL will not play with anything except Windows?

Green_Manelishi
01-23-2011, 17:55
My mother is using an older Dell with Ubuntu. She recently changed ISPs from the local cable to Verizon and a DSL connection. Verizon is telling her she cannot use Ubuntu with Firefox to connect and register, that she needs a Windoze platform. That makes no sense. Why should me Mom have to spend $ on a new puter simply to register with Verizon? What are her options?

HerrGlock
01-23-2011, 17:58
Bring a laptop with WIN on it. Sign on, get it going. Disconnect the WIN box and hook her up.
Pick up one of the firewall/routers for her and use that as your connection after you get her signed up.

IndyGunFreak
01-23-2011, 18:27
Bring a laptop with WIN on it. Sign on, get it going. Disconnect the WIN box and hook her up.
Pick up one of the firewall/routers for her and use that as your connection after you get her signed up.

Exactly.

Usually the biggest problem isn't that Ubuntu doesn't work with the service, it's that the setup process requires Internet Explorer.

Do exactly what HG said... Hook the service up on a laptop, hook the modem up to the router, router to the PC, and configure the router to log in to her DSL account.

Never done it specifically with Verizon, but have w/ SBC a few times.

gemeinschaft
01-23-2011, 22:38
I would also recommend putting the DSL modem into Pass Through / Bridge Mode.

Then configure the PPPoe settings on the router that you have. This will avoid the IP conflicts that normally occur due to the router and DSL modem having the the same default address of 192.168.1.1

1. Register the modem connected directly with a laptop.

2. Keep a copy of the PPPoe Authentication information (ID, password, any other settings specified from Verizon)

3. Enable Pass Through / Bridge Mode on the DSL Modem.

4. Connect Router to DSL Modem.

5. Connect laptop to modem and reboot.

6. Get the Default Gateway address (running from Command Prompt - IPCONFIG)

7. Navigate to the Default Gateway Address with Web Browser.

8. Configure Router as PPPoe and enter the settings for your DSL connection.

If you have issues getting the DSL Modem into Bridge mode, post what Make/Model DSL Modem it is and I will see if I can help.

Green_Manelishi
01-24-2011, 06:31
So where does this leave folk who use Macs? Do they also need to access a Win platform to register?

HerrGlock
01-24-2011, 06:41
So where does this leave folk who use Macs? Do they also need to access a Win platform to register?

I know I had to but only as the original connection. After that it's been on a firewall/router, connected to a Linux box, Mac machine, WIN machine, you name it and I probably have had it connected. Now it's just a firewall/router with the home network behind it.

Green_Manelishi
01-24-2011, 07:01
I know I had to but only as the original connection. After that it's been on a firewall/router, connected to a Linux box, Mac machine, WIN machine, you name it and I probably have had it connected. Now it's just a firewall/router with the home network behind it.

Thanks.

According to the Verizon tech with whom I just spoke, Verizon does support Mac as well.

I suspect my Mother will take the easiest (albeit most $) path and simply buy a new 'puter that will also be faster, etc. than the aged Dell (which was free).

gemeinschaft
01-24-2011, 07:29
Thanks.

According to the Verizon tech with whom I just spoke, Verizon does support Mac as well.

I suspect my Mother will take the easiest (albeit most $) path and simply buy a new 'puter that will also be faster, etc. than the aged Dell (which was free).

You should be able to find a router for about $20.