Installing barrel and upper ?s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Installing barrel and upper ?s

zhix
01-23-2011, 17:56
I will be putting a barrel on an upper for the first time; I have searched around some but cannot find a good video online for doing this. I also can't seem to find the final word on what kind of grease(if any?) to use on the barrel nut and barrel threads.

I will be using a YHM flip front sight base and am unsure which type of locktite to use (it takes 4 allen head cap screws). I am also concerned about getting it perfectly aligned. http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product413.html

The upper vise block I have is a two piece without the insert( for the inside where the charging handle and BCG will be) like the ones Brownells sells. I don't see how I could crush or bind the receiver that badly, but I want to be sure.

thanks

ColdBlooded
01-23-2011, 18:15
I thought I saw a video on Youtube where Larry Potterfield installs a free float rail. If it is still there, the process is the same just go backwards instead of changing the delta ring to a free float. Once you get the delta ring off, the barrel slide right out.

surf
01-23-2011, 18:28
Look around my channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf?feature=mhum#p/u
You can go to the playlists and just look in the M4 assembly area.

There is a stock barrel removal for a DD rail and a complete 14 part series on building an M4 from the ground up from parts. Simple and easy to follow.

crazymoose
01-23-2011, 19:51
You want to use a graphite free molybdenum disulfide grease. I bought a small tub from Bushmaster for under $10 and it's still mostly full after about a dozen builds. I put a few small globs on the threads inside the barrel nut and screw it on by hand before mounting the barrel, to get the grease smeared around on all the threads. You don't have to use much at all.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">