Converting stock Bushy carbine to Tactical, advice? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Converting stock Bushy carbine to Tactical, advice?

21Glock
01-24-2011, 08:33
Hi guys,
I have a stock A3 Bushmaster carbine I'm wanting to Tactical outfit for home defense and general shooting.
I'm wanting to put a quad rail on it. UTG from Cheaper Than Dirt is probably what I'll go to. Great reviews and inexpensive.

I'm undecided about the following items, Vertical foregrip, make and model.
Green laser, make and model.
Light, make and model.

Whatever is working for you and you like, let me know and why. Pics would be nice too!

THANKS!!!

WayaX
01-24-2011, 13:21
"tactical" is not hardware. But I'll bite this one anyway.

The first thing to do is fix any deficiencies of your rifle (looking at the chart is a good place to start, or M4carbine.net has a thread about it).

First utg is airsoft junk. It has no purpose on a serious rifle. Get a real ff rail, especially since you want a laser.

Foregrip should be a quality make/model. Other than that it needs to allow you to operate your light/laser without changing grips. As for a quality light - surefire M series are a good start. I don't use a laser so I can't help you there.

JBnTX
01-24-2011, 14:19
"tactical" is not hardware.....

Well Said!
"Tactical" is all in the mind.

To the OP:
For heavens sake do not Gucci up your rifle with a bunch of worthless
gadgets.

Any good home defense weapon requires only 3 things.
A good trigger, good sights and a "practical" light source.

21Glock
01-24-2011, 14:45
Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep these things in mind when I go to my next local gun show in mid Feb. and really see what is available. To see and feel what works for me on my type of AR.

MrMurphy
01-24-2011, 14:48
Rails: MagPul MOE if all you're going to do is stick on a light, they're cheap and they work.

Surefire G2X in either a LaRue LT707 or a MOE mount will work.

VFG: decide whether you need one or not. Not everyone likes them. I've used one for years on my issued weapons and prefer them, not everyone does.

Replace your bolt carrier group if it's a stock Bushy or at least ensure it's properly staked. Properly lube it and get an Aimpoint and a sling.

Before most of that, get GOOD training. Trident Concepts, Gunsite, EAG, etc. Not some no name crew. At the very least, buy Green Eyes Black Rifles so you begin to know what you do not know.

DieselNut
01-24-2011, 15:19
First off ask yourself am I using this for defense, hunting, duty, or a call of duty fantasy. If the last one go all out and splurge on lights lasers etc...
My 2 ARs I've only used iron sights and always spent the rest of my money on ammo. I figured I could always get the most use out of this setup. For home defense I use my G21 and a flash light so I don't shoot up my house with 5.56.
As far as optics I'm considering them on my next one (hunting use)

RyanNREMTP
01-24-2011, 16:03
I'll chime in.

Like some of the others have said, spend more money and training and ammo then extras. The main thing you will need is a light. The rest is just extras that may or may not be what you need.

It's your rifle, do what you want to it. You will try out a lot of different stuff until you find what you like and then will keep changing it up. I've gone through two different vertical grips before finding the exact one I like. I still plan on trying different ones.

As for the UTG rail, I have one. It's been rock solid and has held up to everything I've put it through. It may not be the lightest or most expensive one out there but it's done it's job. It also doesn't mean I won't switch it out with something else in the future.

Basically you will go through trial and error before finding what works for you. Remember what works for one person may not work for another.

So find some training classes and buy plenty of ammo.

zhix
01-24-2011, 16:57
I'm not going to tell you to not get a UTG rail, but at least get the US made version. I would consider it since its about half the price of other rails.
Other than a rail, I would just get whatever foregrip you like, Surefire light and a Vltor or Daniel Defense offset mount for the light.

phred119
01-24-2011, 17:03
21Glock, PM sent.

tbone86
01-24-2011, 18:42
Listen to what these guys are saying, I have been going through the process of replacing all of the crap parts on my ar15 since I was impatient and did not do the research before hand. Just because it looks cool online does not mean it is a quality made part that will improve your rifle. For example, I have the UTG rail on my rifle and I will be replacing it in a few weeks with a daniel defense omega. The UTG is solid but it adds significant weight and is not a free float system. Do not go for the cheap stuff! The quality stuff is worth the wait and the money you will spend, trust me! I have wasted money on cheap AR parts that I could have been spending on ammo/training/range time. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have a tactical style AR15, but putting cheap crap all over it does not make it tactical. Hope my rant helps...