Moving to NC...CCW Permit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving to NC...CCW Permit

GLK17-9
01-24-2011, 15:07
Hey everyone, I will be moving to Greensboro this weekend and have a current CCW permit from Montana. My permit expires in April so I will be needing to renew. My question is do I have to take the class again for the CCW or is there any way I can transfer my CCW from Montana to NC since NC honors MT permits. I have searched but have come up with nothing, I did read the Sticky on NC permits but just curious if there is anyway to transfer (thinking there isn't). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

beancounter81
01-24-2011, 15:29
Not aware of any way to transfer. I suggest you check out Calibers Indoor Range in Greensboro. They offer a CCW class almost every Saturday. The wait for CCW after applying at Sheriff's office in Guilford County will run close to the 90 day maximum.

GLK17-9
01-24-2011, 16:39
Thanks for the response...I have already looked into Calibers, will be going there often!

magpie maniac
01-24-2011, 18:23
Thanks for the response...I have already looked into Calibers, will be going there often!

Welcome to North Carolina! When I moved here from out of state a few years ago, I had to start from scratch, too. I live in Greensboro and am a Calibers member. Great place to shoot and Carl and Kenny are generous with their help and hospitality. Go ask Kenny for some advice.

The Guilford County Sheriff (http://www.guilfordcountysheriff.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77:conceal-carry&catid=39:permits&Itemid=282) issues the permits and -- like beancounter81 said -- it can take every bit of the ninety days unless they've hired more staff since then.

Enjoy yourself in NC. My family and I love living here. Very diverse geography (drive from Mt. Mitchell to the beach in a little over three hours) and lots to do.

NC Bullseye
01-24-2011, 22:08
There is no transfer method for carry permits. You also have to be a resident for 30 days prior to getting your permit. Best thing to do is get the class out of the was ASAP and have it all ready to go when you get the residency requirements taken care of. Also call the sheriffs office since some counties require an appointment to take your permit and prints. If you have any questions on the NC laws feel free to PM me, I teach the course over in the foothills.

Here is a link to the big ball of legal wax on NC laws for concealed carry. It has all the requirements and the fees and such.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_54B.html

Best of luck and welcome!

magpie maniac
01-24-2011, 22:51
Also call the sheriffs office since some counties require an appointment to take your permit and prints.

This is excellent advice that I neglected to mention. Go ahead and set your appointment up with the Sheriff's Office since there might be a waiting list for appointment times. While waiting, get your training and residency requirements out of the way.