10mm CCO Build One Or buy ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10mm CCO Build One Or buy ?

Z28ricer
01-24-2011, 16:04
I've got a want for my next 1911 to be a CCO, aluminum frame, 10mm, i've been looking for a bit, and never found exactly what I want, though maybe someone here can show me something i've overlooked. I'd really prefer it to be ramped barrel, and do not want a checkered front on the frame.

After a bit of looking, fusion seems to offer all of the parts for what I want to do, though after some searcing around here I seem to be finding comments that are making fun of fusions quality ? Is this for actual assembled pistols, or their parts in general ? I'm not looking for something like a $3000, custom, tuned show piece, I want this for everyday carry, something that i'd treat the same as my Kimber ultracarryII NS/LG, I dont want to shed tears when it hits the tile because it got knocked off the sink in the bathroom, or I go to slide under a car and drag it across the driveway and any rocks in its path.

Suggestions for possibly building my own ? I've assembled plenty of car engines, anything else mechanical, and can wire anything, i'm sure I could do it, though if theres something available that can fit what i'm after, and be in a similar price range to my kimber, i'd probably rather save myself the time.

Suggestions as far as having fusion build it with their parts ?

Other manufacturers to buy parts from ? I've seen wc frames and parts but nothing there offered in 10mm

PlasticGuy
01-24-2011, 18:31
While Fusion seems to be heading steadily downhill on their builds, I haven't seen anything that would keep me from buying a slide and frame from them. The other option (and my preferred one) is Caspian for the slide and frame. The other parts you can get from a number of sources. One thing I would consider is buying a S&W CCO to build on, because their Scandium frames should handle the beating from 10mm rounds a little better.

Picking someone to build it is the hardest part. Fortunately, the problem is that there are so many good options to choose from. It would probably be best to start another thread specifically about picking a builder after you have the parts in hand.

glock2740
01-24-2011, 18:48
I'm pretty sure you can get a Wilson Ultra Light Carry Compact in 10mm. Aluminum frame is standard. I have one in .45ACP being built right now.

glock2740
01-24-2011, 18:51
Also might want to look into the Wilson Stealth as well. Weighted cone barrel would make recoil alot better, especially with an aluminum frame.

HAIL CAESAR
01-24-2011, 20:18
Wilson to build it. Caspian for the parts to do it yourself.

glock2740
01-24-2011, 20:24
Fusion to build it. Caspian for the parts to do it yourself.
Fixed it for ya. :thumbsup:

:tongueout::rofl:

Z28ricer
01-25-2011, 00:32
One thing I would consider is buying a S&W CCO to build on, because their Scandium frames should handle the beating from 10mm rounds a little better.

This seems to be on track to what i'm after, though do you say this for slide movement and recoil spring, or the feed ramp ? I'm very much set on one with a ramped barrel, however from the looks of it, starting with one of those S&W's wouldnt be too bad an idea, I didnt even know they made the 1911's with the scandium frame, I've checked out the scandium S&W revolvers wanting one for a bug due to the lightweight, for ankle carry, doesnt sound like a bad idea for these plans either, even though they seem to be the same weight as alum framed 1911's

I'm guessing I would need to have the frame machined to fit the ramped barrel for those ?

Maybe starting with an existing 1911 is a good idea for this project, then just getting the slide/barrel from fusion, or caspian, and then have that installed ?

Z28ricer
01-25-2011, 00:34
Oh wow, just noticed caspian has titanium as an option for their frames, now this looks awesome.

Z28ricer
01-25-2011, 00:51
Caspian seems to have pretty much what I want, their website isnt working too well for me to see if they offer the barrel in 10mm/ramped, however quite a bit on their website looks to be the direction i'd like to head.

If I started with their frame, cut for the ramped barrel, and slide, fitted to the frame, how much more "fitting" and tuning would realistically need to be done ?

nolt
01-25-2011, 07:05
ive not built a 1911, but i would expect a 10mm CCO to be potentially problematic to get running reliability. not saying it cant be done AT ALL... just saying that for me... imho... my first build would def not be a 10mm CCO.

i vote wilson.

PlasticGuy
01-25-2011, 11:54
Oh wow, just noticed caspian has titanium as an option for their frames, now this looks awesome.
Titanium is a metal with a lot of potential, but it needs to be fitted and finished perfectly or it can gall. I've seen it before. If you go that route, pick a top smith. Also consider getting it finished with NP3 or some other low friction coating.

PlasticGuy
01-25-2011, 11:57
Caspian seems to have pretty much what I want, their website isnt working too well for me to see if they offer the barrel in 10mm/ramped, however quite a bit on their website looks to be the direction i'd like to head.

If I started with their frame, cut for the ramped barrel, and slide, fitted to the frame, how much more "fitting" and tuning would realistically need to be done ?
The barrel and bushing fitting would be the biggest issues at that point, but there are a lot of other things that would need to be installed/fitted also. A fitted slide and frame is only the beginning.

Z28ricer
01-25-2011, 12:22
Titanium is a metal with a lot of potential, but it needs to be fitted and finished perfectly or it can gall. I've seen it before. If you go that route, pick a top smith. Also consider getting it finished with NP3 or some other low friction coating.

After all of my searching last night, I think i'm going to stick with available lower cost 1911's for a bit, and when I can justify the cost, i'll have wilson, or one of the other higher end shops build what I want on either a kimber, or one of those s&w frames.

Did find a few things and learn a few things in my search, so i'm happy, just gonna have to wait a bit to get the 10mm I want :cool:

Hokie1911
01-25-2011, 12:28
Keep your eye out. 10mm CBOBs pop up for sale every now and then.

PlasticGuy
01-25-2011, 12:33
After all of my searching last night, I think i'm going to stick with available lower cost 1911's for a bit, and when I can justify the cost, i'll have wilson, or one of the other higher end shops build what I want on either a kimber, or one of those s&w frames.

Did find a few things and learn a few things in my search, so i'm happy, just gonna have to wait a bit to get the 10mm I want :cool:
It's far better to do exactly what you're talking about and wait until you can get exactly what you want. I've tried the "not quite perfect but available right now" thing before, and I'm always less happy in the end.

Z28ricer
01-25-2011, 13:02
It's far better to do exactly what you're talking about and wait until you can get exactly what you want. I've tried the "not quite perfect but available right now" thing before, and I'm always less happy in the end.

Yeah, I figured i'd base my decision off what goes through my mind when I see someone elses attempts at things I do for cars, efi conversions, right hand drive conversions, etc, and say to myself, "this is gonna be funny, should have just let me take care of it"

So i'll just wait and get precisely what I want, built the right way the first time. :supergrin: