Colt H-Bar Match Target or BCM 20" ??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt H-Bar Match Target or BCM 20" ???

TedG
01-24-2011, 19:55
I can pick up a new unfired Colt Match Target H-Bar for $850. I could also part together a 20" BCM military profile rifle for about the same price. Which one is the better deal?

R.K. Watkins
01-24-2011, 20:02
If that Colt Match HBR is a preban, you better jump on it. It is worth twice that amount

RyanNREMTP
01-24-2011, 20:12
I would go Colt but I am a little biased.

surf
01-24-2011, 20:13
That would be a very good price on a factory new CMTHBAR. Even though a flatop can be swapped for better optic choices (if you care about optics?), you need to consider that the Colt will have an A2 style fixed carry handle upper. You also need to figure that the CMTHBAR will have a .223 chamber. The Colt would probably hold more value in a certain buyer, but BCM is gaining rapidly.

The above things aside it would be hard to go wrong with either for that price.

RMTactical
01-24-2011, 20:17
I think the only right answer is, get both.

That said, I am not an HBAR fan so I would prefer the BCM.

TedG
01-24-2011, 20:18
That would be a very good price on a factory new CMTHBAR. Even though a flatop can be swapped for better optic choices (if you care about optics?), you need to consider that the Colt will have an A2 style fixed carry handle upper. You also need to figure that the CMTHBAR will have a .223 chamber. The Colt would probably hold more value in a certain buyer, but BCM is gaining rapidly.

The above things aside it would be hard to go wrong with either for that price.

Good point that I hadn't thought of. I want to be able to use 5.56 ammo without problems. Thanks.

thisaway
01-25-2011, 11:53
My Colt MTHBAR upper is marked 5.56mm on its barrel.

crazymoose
01-25-2011, 15:00
The Colt is the better deal, but for most uses, the BCM is the better gun. A 20" HBAR will fatigue you more quickly and mess with your offhand shooting.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

JBnTX
01-25-2011, 15:18
That HBAR is really heavy if you're going to carry it any distance. It's great
shooting from a bench, but that's about it.

I have a BCM A4 full size rifle 20" barrel and it's a lot lighter and handier
than the Colt HBAR I used to have.

I've always been a Colt AR-15 fan and for years refused to buy any other
brand. I called them cheap copies and made fun of them.

Then I bought my BCM A4! Man what a difference in fit and finish.
My BCM is a solidly built rifle that has never malfunctioned in over 2000 rounds.

Colt's are nice, but from now on, I buy BCM!

JBnTX
01-25-2011, 15:22
.... You also need to figure that the CMTHBAR will have a .223 chamber...

The Colt HBAR is marked 5.56 and will fire 5.56 ammo (all kinds) all day long
with no problem.

jrs93accord
01-25-2011, 16:39
Go with the Colt.

crazymoose
01-25-2011, 19:28
What do you want to do with the rifle? If you might sell it in the future, you'll probably make money on the Colt. If you want to shoot from a rest, get the Colt. For all-around usage, get the Bravo Co. They're made of the same materials and with the same QC specs, so the real question is what matters to you. Weight? Accuracy? Resale value?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

ShootAndFish1
01-26-2011, 23:05
That HBAR is really heavy if you're going to carry it any distance. It's great
shooting from a bench, but that's about it.

I have a BCM A4 full size rifle 20" barrel and it's a lot lighter and handier
than the Colt HBAR I used to have.

I've always been a Colt AR-15 fan and for years refused to buy any other
brand. I called them cheap copies and made fun of them.

Then I bought my BCM A4! Man what a difference in fit and finish.
My BCM is a solidly built rifle that has never malfunctioned in over 2000 rounds.

Colt's are nice, but from now on, I buy BCM!

Don't mean to hijack, but I have also been thinking about getting the BCM A4. Would you mind commenting about the groups your getting with various weight bullets. the BCM A4 has a 1 in 7 twist and I have read varying reports on how well the 55 gr shot.

JBnTX
01-26-2011, 23:42
Don't mean to hijack, but I have also been thinking about getting the BCM A4. Would you mind commenting about the groups your getting with various weight bullets. the BCM A4 has a 1 in 7 twist and I have read varying reports on how well the 55 gr shot.

All I've ever fired in it is the 55gr XM-193 Federal in the 20rd brown boxes.
I get about a 3 inch group at 100 yards with a 4x ACOG.

I'm sure the rifle can do better, but that's all you get with 57 year old eyes.
I see no problem using the 55gr bullet in the 1/7 twist.

I'm sure that with better ammo/heavier bullet or reloads, it would be a tack driver.

It's a solidly built rifle. You can't go wrong.