Nighthawk Dominator v Ed Brown Executive Elite [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nighthawk Dominator v Ed Brown Executive Elite

jjmoberg
01-24-2011, 23:01
So, I am lusting badly after a 1911 after reading everything I can on this site and others for almost a year. First off I currently own only Glocks and Kahrs. I do not shoot competitively and dont plan to. Also I will be carrying concealed with my polymer guns, not this one. This gun will live in my safe and be shot at least twice a month, whenever I go to shoot anything else! So this will be my first, and possibly only for a while, 1911 (though I really want them both). I know myself, and how I will be with 1911s, and I am not really one to start with something cheap, knowing I am going to get something more expensive later. I learned that lesson when I started hunting 10 years ago - just get the good stuff from the start. The cheap boots, clothes, scopes, bows, etc I bought to save money got me nowhere. I wont really want to jack with selling a bunch of guns I dont want anymore, or keep a $600 1911, that I wont shoot anymore after I get a semi custom gun. So please dont everyone tell me to get a Remington R1, a Spartan, or a Desert Eagle, etc for my first 1911. For various reasons, I have eliminated models from Baer (turned off by the tightness), STI (not quite the same quality), Wilson (too expensive IMO), Guncrafter (not enough options), etc as my first purchase. I dont think I will ever be a serious 1911 collector, but I think I will likely end up with one or 2 nice models each, from 3 or 4 few different manufacturers.

So, all that said, which would you choose?

I want an all black/blued gun, but not a polymer coating. Just plain EB bluing (absolutely beautiful, and classic) and full Diamond Black (hopefully as tough as I hear it is) from NHC are what I am looking at. Must haves for me are flat and serrated slide top, flush muzzle crown, and a magwell, which are all factory on the Dominator. I will add a small few other extras to the Brown plus the above stuff (extended mag release,serrate under slide stop, etc). I have priced both and the Dominator is $30 to $80 more depending on exactly how I do the Brown. That is with the full IonBond NHC vs the EB bluing.

All options being equal, I am drawn to EB because he is an hour or so from me and I really like to support local businesses when I can, the bluing is so nice, the gun is so classy, and he has been around for ever making a super smooth 1911.

I was drawn to NHC because so much of what I want comes on the pistol from the factory, and the IonBond is awesome. I have no doubt either coating will last a long times with how I will use the pistol.

I am ordering one of these this summer and cant for the life of me decide which!!

Help!!

Sorry for the long post, but this is an important and expensive decision!!

Jeremy

TSAX
01-25-2011, 03:09
Hard to go wrong with either pistol. If you buy the Nighthawk call their shop, I think they still have the 6 mags for $99 deal going. 8 rounders pretty solid mags.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411543006

Quack
01-25-2011, 06:00
Ed Brown

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
01-25-2011, 06:12
Everyone knows I have a preference towards Brown over NH - so, I gotta say... Go for the brown. Great gun!

GJ1981
01-25-2011, 07:39
Me, I'd take the NH since I wasn't impressed with my buddies Special Forces. I don't know what it was but the Brown did nothing for me. Too much hype, IMO.

Know that Brown doesn't blend their magwells, some people don't know this before buying and have a ****fit, which I would too given the cost.

Brown has gotten better on customer service but they are still lacking compared to most of the 1911 builders. Don't expect a call tag issued for shipping.

That said, trying to find one of each is the right answer. Don't let someone's preference make the decision for you. With the amount of $, you want to make sure it's perfect for what you want.

Hokie1911
01-25-2011, 07:45
I prefer Brown...but GJ is correct, get what YOU like best. It's your dime. :thumbsup:

rsxr22
01-25-2011, 08:04
Ive always liked the looks of NH's way more than EB, and after handling their guns at SHOT, I am even more impressed! Really the only EB i like better is the KC for a carry gun over the T3

BlayGlock
01-25-2011, 22:50
Nighthawk + Diamond Black > Ed Brown + Blue.

Must haves for me are flat and serrated slide top, flush muzzle crown, and a magwell, which are all factory on the Dominator. I

Another +1 for NHC IMO.

I had a blued Brown for a while. Very pretty gun but I prefer NHC styling. Either way you are getting a great 1911.

bac1023
01-25-2011, 22:53
I don't care for NH's Perma Kote finish, but the Dominator is a great 1911.

That's a tough choice, but I'd be tempted to go with the Nighthawk. However, I would make the entire gun hard chrome instead of just the frame.

bac1023
01-25-2011, 22:59
Here's an idea...

Get a Springfield TGO1 for about the same price and you'll have a 1911 better than either of them.

...its better finished too. :)

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/008-10.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/006-7.jpg

R0CKETMAN
01-26-2011, 05:15
The blue on the Brown will never grow old to your eyes. Add in the fact that they are down the road and resale, makes Brown the obvious choice.

R0CKETMAN
01-26-2011, 05:16
Here's an idea...

Get a Springfield TGO1 for about the same price and you'll have a 1911 better than either of them.

Pics of this pistol are always love / hate for me. Love the pistol, hate anything RL...just sayn

bac1023
01-26-2011, 06:26
Pics of this pistol are always love / hate for me. Love the pistol, hate anything RL...just sayn

I wouldn't worry about the Leatham part. In fact, the gun even comes with a different set of grips.

I put the TGO clearly ahead of both guns being dicussed here. Its MSRP is higher than either, but the street price is similar to the Nighthawk.

bac1023
01-26-2011, 06:28
Add in the fact that they are down the road and resale, makes Brown the obvious choice.

I'm not sure the resale is really any better with the Brown. Maybe slighly. Niether gun really holds value worth a damn.

All the semi-customs are that way.

GJ1981
01-26-2011, 07:17

If it's an older one I might agree, but if it's a newer SA build I can't. Seeing the issues I've had with SA recently, I think either I'm having horrible luck or they have gone down in quality.

If I'm right about my recent CC's abnormal wear, it will prove it to me. I'm speaking from recent experience, but I'm sure someone will get butt hurt...

How is it "better" finished? Looks?

bac1023
01-26-2011, 08:32
If it's an older one I might agree, but if it's a newer SA build I can't. Seeing the issues I've had with SA recently, I think either I'm having horrible luck or they have gone down in quality.

If I'm right about my recent CC's abnormal wear, it will prove it to me. I'm speaking from recent experience, but I'm sure someone will get butt hurt...

How is it "better" finished? Looks?

I agree about the older TGOs being better, as they used Nowlin barrels and no MIM whatsoever. Mine is from 2002, so its about as good as it gets. I'm not sure I agree about any quality issues. I haven't heard any of that before this thread, to be honest.

As far as the finish is concerned, I'll take the TGO's two tone Robar finish (Roguard and NP3) over the NH's or EB's finish.

NH's Perma Kote sucks and the Brown's bluing is not nearly as tough. Robar is just a better finish and, likewise, more expensive if you had them done independently.

Hokie1911
01-26-2011, 08:45
Glock and Tenifer are obviously FAR SUPERIOR to any offering from Springfield Custom or Nighthawk. Jeez. :tongueout:

bac1023
01-26-2011, 08:46
Glock and Tenifer are obviously FAR SUPERIOR to any offering from Springfield Custom or Nighthawk. Jeez. :tongueout:

:rofl:

lawdog734
01-26-2011, 08:47
Actually I like the finish on high points better myself....

Hokie1911
01-26-2011, 09:14
Actually I like the finish on high points better myself....

Agreed. Bac and GJ are just blah, blah, blahing about obviously inferior products from overpriced 1911 makers.

There is no finer finish than this IMHO. Please notice that the photo was printed backwards....or this is the elusive "Reverse Rollmark" model, highly sought after by true collectors.

http://media.gunup.com/handgun_images/images/1191109PG1/1191109PG1_1.jpg

SMOKEin
01-26-2011, 11:12
OP - i was in the position as you for months and months of agony trying to figure out what i wanted. Like you, I had no reserve about spending the money, I just wanted the right one for me. I was torn between the Brown EE and GC model 1 and the DW Valor. I was lucky enough to find a local shop that had about a dozen from each of the big name semi custom makers and played with them all. All were very nice.

In the end I chose a springfield TRP. While many people here prob just puked, it was what worked for me. No matter what I boight I knew I would end up making some changes/upgrades, just to put my own touch on it. This is what ended up pointing me towards SA. Great customer svc and lots of upgrade options going fwd. It shoots nice holes in the paper and other than an upgraded trigger (one of the first planned changes) no gun from any of the makers would have done any better unless i had used a rest.

Quack
01-26-2011, 11:24
I like the SACS guns and haven't had any issues with them, though i know that GJ has had a problem with one of his.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1104426119_a6448-L.jpg

Hokie1911
01-26-2011, 11:28
What grips are on your TRP and Pro? Those look really good. Brian mentioned another set of grips that came with the TGO. What do those look like? Not a fan of the RL signature grips personally.

Quack
01-26-2011, 11:32
those are stock grips. the older TRP's came with them and the Pro still uses them as standard. They are similar (if not the same) as the Ahrends Combat Checkered grips, which is my preferred grip. The other set of TGO-1 grips are black Micarta grips.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1004740128_Tk8rJ-L.jpg

here's my old TRP with standard grips.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/DSC_0339.jpg

asiparks
01-26-2011, 12:08
It's like having to choose between Jessica Alba in a red swimsuit or Jessica Alba in a blue swimsuit, you'll be pretty happy either way.
I don't have an Enforcer, just an '06 GRP recon in diamond black. The finish is more resiliant than any of the other spray n bake polymer/teflon/ceramic finishes and I rather like the dullness of it. It's a very well fitted, dependable and accurate pistol as far as I'm able to achieve in my highly caffinated, non bullseye shooting way. It does have an exceptionally crisp 4 1/4lb trigger.

I just picked up this Brown EE finished in gen III. I haven't shot it yet, but I will say that the action is very slick and the trigger is very good.

Browns seem to have aquired a reputation of being something of a dainty flowergirl amongst the more grizzled likes of Baer , NH and Wilson, but comparing it to my other 1911's, I'm not seeing it....it feels fairly manly...

Most of the difference come down to personal preference, ie; I slightly prefer Browns high cut grip safety but I also slightly prefer the feel of the NH's sharper 25lpi checkering over Browns.... I prefer both over Wilson's 30 lpi...you likes might fly the opposite way though.....

http://gallery.me.com/asiparks/100347/DSCN2830/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/asiparks/100347/DSCN2845/web.jpg

Hokie1911
01-26-2011, 12:16
http://gallery.me.com/asiparks/100347/DSCN2845/web.jpg

Great pics. Are those Harrison grips on the WC? If so, how do you like them?

bac1023
01-26-2011, 12:23
What grips are on your TRP and Pro? Those look really good. Brian mentioned another set of grips that came with the TGO. What do those look like? Not a fan of the RL signature grips personally.

Paul, a thin black set comes with the TGO. I'll take a pic when I get a chance. I think they're micarta.

Quack
01-26-2011, 12:28
Brown is a dainty flowergirl because they lack all the Tacticool names that most people seek.

GJ1981
01-26-2011, 12:36
I agree about the older TGOs being better, as they used Nowlin barrels and no MIM whatsoever. Mine is from 2002, so its about as good as it gets. I'm not sure I agree about any quality issues. I haven't heard any of that before this thread, to be honest.

As far as the finish is concerned, I'll take the TGO's two tone Robar finish (Roguard and NP3) over the NH's or EB's finish.

NH's Perma Kote sucks and the Brown's bluing is not nearly as tough. Robar is just a better finish and, likewise, more expensive if you had them done independently.

Some might call me, something...can't think of the word, but my Nowlin equipped Pro was perfect. I'm not overly impressed with the NM's...in comparison. Either that says the barrel isn't as good or the fitting is the problem. I've had hands on with 3 recent Pro's since the switch, none have compared to my Nowlin model.

I should have noted, but I was referring to the OP's consideration of using Ionbond/DB. I like NP3, it would whip IB for corrosion resistance but it's a night and day difference for wear. Roguard, the same.

I'm not trying to imply SA as a whole isn't what they used to be. I'm just basing things on 3 of mine.

My Pro has had issues back to Feb 2010

My recent CC is displaying peening on the slide and upper barrel lugs after 1150 rounds.

My GI, from the CS, hits about 3-4" low, not as major as the above but still noteworthy.

Just my experience is all.

Hokie1911
01-26-2011, 12:38
Brown is a dainty flowergirl because they lack all the Tacticool names that most people seek.

Only girlieboys carry a Brown. :wavey:

bac1023
01-26-2011, 12:39

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

bac1023
01-26-2011, 12:40
I'm not trying to imply SA as a whole isn't what they used to be. I'm just basing things on 3 of mine.

If I had that experience, I would certainly feel the same way.

Quack
01-26-2011, 12:43
I like the Nowlin's barrels, don't have experience with the new NM barrels.

bac1023
01-26-2011, 13:22
I like the Nowlin's barrels, don't have experience with the new NM barrels.

Same here, Don.

asiparks
01-26-2011, 14:08

And if you bumped into me on a moonless night down a dark alley, you'd probably be like, " Yup. I was right" :whistling:

asiparks
01-26-2011, 14:11
Great pics. Are those Harrison grips on the WC? If so, how do you like them?

yes they are and I'm liking them a lot. They're not as sharply grippy as my usual Gunners, but they still offer plenty of traction and they don't scrub my dainty girly boy love handles when I waddle around ( the Wilson's my IWB EDC). I'm ordering a pair of fullsize for another pistol.

Hokie1911
01-26-2011, 14:19
And if you bumped into me on a moonless night down a dark alley, you'd probably be like, " Yup. I was right" :whistling:

:rofl:

yes they are and I'm liking them a lot. They're not as sharply grippy as my usual Gunners, but they still offer plenty of traction and they don't scrub my dainty girly boy love handles when I waddle around ( the Wilson's my IWB EDC). I'm ordering a pair of fullsize for another pistol.

Cool. I was thinking of picking up a set for my, ummmmm girlie Brown. :tongueout:

R0CKETMAN
01-26-2011, 15:35
I'm not sure the resale is really any better with the Brown. Maybe slighly. Niether gun really holds value worth a damn.

All the semi-customs are that way.

With the exception of the Professional.

Bac what's the tgo slide finish?

bac1023
01-26-2011, 16:43
With the exception of the Professional.

Bac what's the tgo slide finish?

The slide is Roguard. :)

Great stuff.

http://www.robarguns.com/roguard.htm

jjmoberg
01-26-2011, 19:03
Thanks to everyone so far guys!!

One thing to keep in mind is that unless I lose my job, re sale is absolutely never going to be an issue for me! I am not even considering it in my decision.

As for the coating, I can only compare the 2 I am looking at (though I will admit I have been looking at Springfields lately!). I have heard mostly good looks wise about both the EB blue and the IonBond. I have to think the IonBond will wear better. The corrosion etc, should not be an issue here in Missouri, unless I get a saltwater fishtank and lose the gun in it. While it wont be a safe queen, it wil not be carried either. It will be shot a lot, but cleaned after every shooting if for no other reason than I cant help myself, even with my Glocks.

Also, I am not a fan of silver/white/hardchrome pistols.

My original first 1911 was going to be the STI Sentinel Premier, but I cant wrap my head around the hardchrome, and their bluing is suspect at best from most things I read.

R0CKETMAN
01-26-2011, 19:04
The slide is Roguard. :)

Great stuff.

http://www.robarguns.com/roguard.htm

Sorry for for the hijack OP....

Bac, thought that's what you meant in your earlier post. It looks blued in your pic...

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

bac1023
01-26-2011, 19:09
Sorry for for the hijack OP....

Bac, thought that's what you meant in your earlier post. It looks blued in your pic...

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Its a glossy finish, that's why it looks blued.

In person, its jet black.

R0CKETMAN
01-26-2011, 19:54
Jjmoberg,
There are two nib blued les baers in the GT classifieds. A thunder ranch and a custom carry. They are $300 ish below what they normally sell for. You will find no finer pistol at that price point.

As for resale in general, what if you dont care for your choice?

jjmoberg
01-26-2011, 21:22
I cant imagine not caring for it given what I currently own and am used to shooting.

I have been looking so long I just dont see it being a problem!!

flynnstone
01-26-2011, 21:45
Here's an idea...

How much could I pick up one of those beasts for? And where?

Quack
01-26-2011, 21:59
How much could I pick up one of those beasts for? And where?

Msrp is $3200, but sell for around $2800. I bought mine NIB for $2300. Bac bought his for $2100 LNIB
There's only about 160 made so far.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1004738330_kNBze-L-2.jpg

bac1023
01-27-2011, 05:28
What Quack said.

Rinspeed
01-27-2011, 09:03
I like the Nowlin's barrels,

:puking: :puking:

GJ1981
01-27-2011, 14:02
I take it you don't like 416 SS, eh?

For high round shooting, I don't think I could argue for one.

Rinspeed
01-27-2011, 15:02
I take it you don't like 416 SS, eh?

416R is fine but regular 416 SS is not.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/PROBarrel.jpg

asiparks
01-27-2011, 15:16
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Rinspeed/PROBarrel.jpg

spot of JB weld have that back on it's feet in no time......

guess that's why Pros come with the SA barrel now....

Rinspeed
01-27-2011, 15:24
guess that's why pros come with the sa barrel now.........

;)

GJ1981
01-27-2011, 15:55
I think the FBI has killed some of the NM's too. The last railed Pro I saw had a ramped barrel.

Is there any info on the SA's? I always thought it was 416 too.

TSAX
01-27-2011, 20:49
When you make your choice remember to post pics of your new baby.

Rinspeed
01-27-2011, 21:08
Is there any info on the SA's? I always thought it was 416 too.

I have no idea but that's a good question, I would also like to know what type of SS Bar-Sto uses because I don't think I've ever heard of one of theirs coming unglued without some help.

GJ1981
01-28-2011, 17:45
I've always thought Bar-Sto used 416 as well :dunno: I thought the only one that didn't, of those using SS, was Wilson with 17-4? but Midway lists them as 416 :dunno:

I'm too tired to read it but I think this thread might have mentioned Bar-Sto using 416 - http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=1999&page=1&pp=10

I'm giving a Bar-Sto a try, figured it couldn't hurt.