Am I missing something??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something???

Generalcarry
01-25-2011, 05:31
I have a LG 42LE5400 television that connects (via router) to receive and play UTube and Netflicks. It worked OK on Sunday, but yesterday it took forever to connect and download any movie choices. UTube took so long I quite trying to download.
Hereís my question: the router is downstairs (colonial) and the TV is on the middle floor about as far away from the router as possible. Iím thinking if the router (lynksys WRT54G Ver.6) has a weaker signal at certain ďpeakĒ hours, or more people are using the services at prime time.
I only ask because Iím from the party line telephone era and relying on old school logic of supply and demand. The other possibility is I have too weak/outdated a router to send a strong signal. If itís the router thatís the problem, whatís the strongest power router I could get?
Thanks!

HerrGlock
01-25-2011, 05:59
I have a LG 42LE5400 television that connects (via router) to receive and play UTube and Netflicks. It worked OK on Sunday, but yesterday it took forever to connect and download any movie choices. UTube took so long I quite trying to download.
Hereís my question: the router is downstairs (colonial) and the TV is on the middle floor about as far away from the router as possible. Iím thinking if the router (lynksys WRT54G Ver.6) has a weaker signal at certain ďpeakĒ hours, or more people are using the services at prime time.
I only ask because Iím from the party line telephone era and relying on old school logic of supply and demand. The other possibility is I have too weak/outdated a router to send a strong signal. If itís the router thatís the problem, whatís the strongest power router I could get?
Thanks!

The bolded is probably your answer. Your signal stays the same but the more people using the pipes, the less of a pipe you get for your own amusement.

I'm just guessing but are you on a cable internet connection?

Generalcarry
01-25-2011, 06:40
Yep, Comcast.

HerrGlock
01-25-2011, 06:57
Yep, Comcast.

Okay, cable bandwidth is shared.

If you are the only house on the block to have a cable internet connection, you get the whole enchilada, all bazillion bits upload and download speed.

If two of you on the block are using streaming media at the same time, each gets half.

You get the picture from there on. You get a bit cut out until you are at your minimum speed guaranteed by Comcast.

Same thing with Youtube.com. If you're the only one looking at a video you get their whole pipeline to download your video.

If two of you are watching, you get half, and so on.

Plus all the routers, switches and hubs between you and youtube are also multitasking and distributing bandwidth to all the other customers at the same time.

Added to that the fact that your wireless stuff is in th 2.4GHz range and your and your neighbours phones are also in that range which creates a need to resend a whole lot more often than if no one's using the phone.

Sometimes I believe it's a miracle that anyone ever gets connected :supergrin:

The Habit
01-25-2011, 09:49
Even given the nature of cable internet, you should have plenty of bandwidth available. I stream Netflix over 3mbps DSL with no problems at all. If you aren't getting 3mbps on Comcast, even if everyone in the neighborhood is online, something is definitely wrong.

You say it worked Sunday, but not the following day. Have you only had it for two days or was it working fine before Sunday as well? It's possible you have some other wireless devices interfering with the signal (cordless phones, as noted above). You may also want to try relocating the cable modem and router to a cable connection nearer to the TV as a way to test the wireless portion of the connection. I stream Netflix over a wireless G connection (which is what your WRT54G is) with no problems. However, you may consider a "N" speed router if moving the router closer to the TV doesn't yield results.

Additionally, you may want to check to see if your TV is running the latest firmware.
http://www.lg.com/us/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=42LE5400&matchedModelCode=1000010721&searchEngineModelCode=42LE5400&initialTab=documents&targetPage=support-product-profile#

syntaxerrorsix
01-25-2011, 14:40
With my DSL 3mbps I can stream on the TV or stream on the computer but not both. I can surf however.

Generalcarry
01-25-2011, 15:25
I just hooked the TV to the router on Sunday. Netflicks takes about 3-4 minutes to download. I assumed that was a long time, I may be way off base on that. I only have the download time of the computer as a gauge and looking at a blank screen makes the time seem even longer.
The router is down stairs and has 2 desktops wired to it and my wife’s notebook upstairs is wireless. From downstairs straight up to the next level is about 10 ft., and then about 45-50 ft. diagonally to the tv. On my wife’s notebook, I can usually see 5 or 6 routers broadcasting at any given period. Is there any way to check the signal strength at the tv?

syntaxerrorsix
01-25-2011, 15:28
I just hooked the TV to the router on Sunday. Netflicks takes about 3-4 minutes to download. I assumed that was a long time, I may be way off base on that. I only have the download time of the computer as a gauge and looking at a blank screen makes the time seem even longer.
The router is down stairs and has 2 desktops wired to it and my wife’s notebook upstairs is wireless. From downstairs straight up to the next level is about 10 ft., and then about 45-50 ft. diagonally to the tv. On my wife’s notebook, I can usually see 5 or 6 routers broadcasting at any given period. Is there any way to check the signal strength at the tv?

There is if you have a smart phone with a wifi detector app. I'm sure someone makes a wireless strength indicator as well.

I don't know if this helps but the only time Netflix actually downloads anything for me is when the connection rate sucks. The rest of the time it streams.

I have TV, Hardwired network capable BR-player, router modem. It takes about 5 seconds for the BR player to connect to Netlfix, it takes about 15 seconds to start the movie.

gemeinschaft
01-25-2011, 19:56
There are a couple of things that I would do.

Go to Speedtest.net (www.speedtest.net)and run a Speed Test against a couple of different sites. Then change when you run Speedtest to see if your results vary, this will give you an idea of how much bandwidth you are getting out of your internet connection.

Second, if you are connecting your TV via wireless,I would get a laptop and download Net Stumbler (http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/) This program will allow you to see if you have other wireless networks in the immediate area and show you what channel they are broadcasting on. Most wireless G routers will be set at channel 6 by default. Find a channel that is not in use in your immediate area and see if your signal increases.

In order to get into your router, I prefer to just find the default gateway address and plug that into my internet browser. Then, I will adjust the settings of the router via the GUI that most of them have embedded into the router. I don't like using the software that they provide. Remember that once you change the broadcast channel, you will have to reestablish your wireless channel.