Mossberg Maevrick 88 and buck shots. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg Maevrick 88 and buck shots.

G23Gen4TX
01-25-2011, 09:48
Back when I bought my 88 I also bought a few boxes of buck shots they had in sale. This is my first shotgun and when I **** those buck shots I was surprised at the power they had. That was quite a kick.

My question is, since these are magnum buck shots. Are they safe to shoot in the 88? I did not see any restriction in the manual.

gnasty1521
01-25-2011, 12:43
Without a doubt, yes. I had one and shot everything out of it. Tons of fun. It will handle anything it is chambered for, just like a Mossberg 500. We aren't talking about a carry weapon with +p ammunition...

1 old 0311
01-25-2011, 14:16
My Maverick eats everything and keeps on ticking.

G23Gen4TX
01-25-2011, 14:25
I just want to make sure. The power of the buck shots surprised me. It was too much to handle after about 10 shots. It tore my shoulder up.

I just want to make sure the gun doesn't explode in my face or something.

diode
01-25-2011, 18:42
2 of the best purchases I made in December of 2010 was the Maverick 18-1/2and the Knoxx recoil reduction stock.
The Maverick cured the bone spur in my left shoulder and the Knoxx stock keeps the pain away.

jb :supergrin:

GAFinch
01-25-2011, 18:56
Make sure you're pressing the shotgun against your shoulder when you shoot, so it doesn't bounce on it.

WiskyT
01-25-2011, 19:21
Make sure you're pressing the shotgun against your shoulder when you shoot, so it doesn't bounce on it.

This. You have to pull it in firmly. I don't have very long arms (30" sleeve), but from watching a buddy of mine get beat up, it is obvious if you have long arms you will need to lengthen your stock.

Also, some loads are pretty brutal no matter what you do. I shot some 2 ounce Nitro Magnums just for kicks and that's exactly what I got, kicks. I could handle a few to shoot turkeys if I hunted, but they aren't exactly plinking fodder.

The best solution, IMO, is to just use standard buckshot. Cheapo 9 pellet OO buck is plenty for even the toughest zombies. Reduced recoil buck is even easier to shoot well and not that hard to find or expensive. It usually costs a little more than standard buck you can grab at Walmart, but it's a lot cheaper than putting an expensive Knoxx stock on.

gnasty1521
01-25-2011, 20:21
2 of the best purchases I made in December of 2010 was the Maverick 18-1/2and the Knoxx recoil reduction stock.
The Maverick cured the bone spur in my left shoulder and the Knoxx stock keeps the pain away.

jb :supergrin:

How in the hell did a shotgun cure a bone spur....:shocked:

diode
01-26-2011, 18:34
How in the hell did a shotgun cure a bone spur....:shocked:

It apparently broke the SOB off, it dropped me to my knees in pain. I now have full rotation of my left shoulder that I have not had for 3 years...never question the cheap, quick fix. Blue Cross in a 3" 00 charge. No s*it

jb

gnasty1521
01-26-2011, 18:44
Wow. I have never heard a person praise recoil from a 12 gauge. LOL, good to hear it though. To the OP, that shotgun will last many, many years with no matter what you shoot through it.

diode
01-26-2011, 18:58
Wow. I have never heard a person praise recoil from a 12 gauge. LOL, good to hear it though. To the OP, that shotgun will last many, many years with no matter what you shoot through it.

Thanks Sarge, it met my deductable and ain't goin nowhere. It is a hoot to shoot with the Knoxx stock now and is one of my primary go to thing when the bump-in-the-night goes down.

jb

Aceman
01-26-2011, 20:08
If this gun is for indoor social use, try low recoil buck shot. All of the effectiveness, way less shoulder issues and back on target faster.

cowboys_fan
01-28-2011, 00:13
My Mav 88 has the best fun/price ratio of any of my guns, period. It sits by my nightstand every night(although it will be replaced by a 590A1 soon), and it eats everything I shoot and keeps asking for more. I really wish I could find a 20" version, then SBS my 18.5" version...

G23c
01-28-2011, 07:57
If this gun is for indoor social use, try low recoil buck shot. All of the effectiveness, way less shoulder issues and back on target faster.

i like the winchester LE low recoil 00 buck. :wavey: