Issues with Remington 11-87 and sidesaddle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Remington 11-87 and sidesaddle?

DustyDawg48
01-25-2011, 13:33
Posted in another forum that I had picked up a very nice and gently used Rem 11-87. I've wanted to make a nice HD shotgun and to shoot in a bit of IDPA/3-Gun style shotgun stuff, too. I asked for recommendations on both the extended mag tube and the sidesaddle mount and with the usual manufacturer recommendations came a warning of 11-87s and those side mounted shell holders. I don't doubt that something along the lines of failures to feed/extract could happen to any weapon but does adding that small bit of extra weight really throw off the guns function and reliability that much? I know I've seen 11-87 done up just like that and had never heard of issues like that before. Has anyone experienced any issues or seen any issues with the 11-87 and a sidesaddle shell holder?

Big Bird
01-25-2011, 14:26
Posted in another forum that I had picked up a very nice and gently used Rem 11-87. I've wanted to make a nice HD shotgun and to shoot in a bit of IDPA/3-Gun style shotgun stuff, too. I asked for recommendations on both the extended mag tube and the sidesaddle mount and with the usual manufacturer recommendations came a warning of 11-87s and those side mounted shell holders. I don't doubt that something along the lines of failures to feed/extract could happen to any weapon but does adding that small bit of extra weight really throw off the guns function and reliability that much? I know I've seen 11-87 done up just like that and had never heard of issues like that before. Has anyone experienced any issues or seen any issues with the 11-87 and a sidesaddle shell holder?

Yes, a sidesaddle can affect the function of the gun. Its not JUST the weight of the stupid plastic holder. Add in the weight of six shotgun shells. Will it affect your gun? Only one way to find out...buy one, load it up and shoot it a bunch.

DPris
01-25-2011, 14:33
Not entirely the weight.
Remember the Sidesaddles are held on by two screws.
You tighten those up, you may also move the receiver's side walls inward enough to affect function during cycling. Not unknown in some models.
Denis

DustyDawg48
01-25-2011, 14:36
I appreciate the feedback. Knowing my luck, it would probably be best if I just found a different option than the sidesaddle!

DPris
01-25-2011, 14:55
After several years I finally decided I'd had enough of them just being in the way & removed them from my 870s.
Just me. :)
Might look at Speedfeed stocks, not as fast, but not in the way either.
Denis

aippi
01-25-2011, 16:39
Have not had any issues with and 11-87 and the Mesa Shell holders. None.