Fondeled my first R1 today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fondeled my first R1 today

glock2740
01-25-2011, 16:24
Not impressed. I will say, that this is the one and only R1 that I've gotten my hands on, so the next one I expect to be better, and maybe this was a lemon, and I hope so. Slide felt like there was grit in the rails. Trigger HAD to have been 7-8 pounds at LEAST. The sights weren't bad for a GI and I've always liked the look of the R1's clean appearance. Safety was nice and the short trigger, which I'm not a fan of, actually felt pretty good in my hand...until I squeezed it. Racking the slide without the mag in it, felt as if it were lubed with sandy glue. Very rough.

rsxr22
01-25-2011, 16:35
That has been my experience with every one of them. The only plus compared to some of the other GI replicas out there is that they have the best finish. More of a GunKote finish like Springer and some others use, compared to the Parkerizing most have. The trigger feels very strange. On top of being heavy, it also is unlike any others i have ever felt before. Sadly their new to be released enhanced model is the same exact thing.

Fire_Medic
01-25-2011, 16:37
The ONE we got in when they were first released was horrible, lots of rough edges, and A LOT of tool marks EVERYWHERE. Remington said it is what it is, so we put it in the rental cabinet.

I would take an SA milspec over it any day.

Just my $0.02

JoshuaC
01-25-2011, 17:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boq6Nbya2RI

This guy must of gotten a reject.

guymontag
01-25-2011, 17:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boq6Nbya2RI

This guy must of gotten a reject.

Damn. That's a nice scratch at 4:35. Thumb safety's interesting too. I do hope they take care of him as he said they would.

nastytrigger
01-25-2011, 17:24
It looked good in pictures... :whistling:. I haven't been to the gunshop to see if they have one.

glock2740
01-25-2011, 18:33
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so. I still think it would be a great base gun. Plus, it's in the same price range with other base guns. Makes me kind of wonder now, after playing with one, what Remington was up to. I had read one of the higher ups talking about them when they were being released. He said that Remington's hope, was that alot of people would buy two of them and leave one stock, while customizing the other. I doubt that's really why the gun I held today was rough as a cob, but it leads to nice conspiracy theories. :rofl:

guymontag
01-25-2011, 21:43
It looked good in pictures... :whistling:. I haven't been to the gunshop to see if they have one.

I've seen them under the glass and I admit it's quite attractive with the black oxide finish, roll mark, silver trigger and barrel bushing. Not enough for me to inquire and purchase it, but I'm miserly when it comes to buying.

I still think it would be a great base gun. Plus, it's in the same price range with other base guns.

I think the R1 offers something different, which is always a good thing. It should prove itself over time. I'd buy a Springfield over it though. Proven value.

bac1023
01-25-2011, 22:08
Not impressed. I will say, that this is the one and only R1 that I've gotten my hands on, so the next one I expect to be better, and maybe this was a lemon, and I hope so. Slide felt like there was grit in the rails. Trigger HAD to have been 7-8 pounds at LEAST. The sights weren't bad for a GI and I've always liked the look of the R1's clean appearance. Safety was nice and the short trigger, which I'm not a fan of, actually felt pretty good in my hand...until I squeezed it. Racking the slide without the mag in it, felt as if it were lubed with sandy glue. Very rough.

Joe, you're just used to all those high end models you've been buying. ;)

glock2740
01-25-2011, 22:43
Joe, you're just used to all those high end models you've been buying. ;)
:rofl:Maybe so, but it really felt gritty and the trigger was horrific. I play with SA GI's and Mil-Spec's from time to time, always looking for a good base gun for a project I have had in mind for awhile. And I own a few RIA's. And they're all better feeling with better triggers. :dunno:I am looking foward to fondeling a few more R1's now, so as to see if that's the norm. At least I wasn't the only one who came to the same conclusion, judging from some other posts.

bac1023
01-25-2011, 22:55
:rofl:Maybe so, but it really felt gritty and the trigger was horrific. I play with SA GI's and Mil-Spec's from time to time, always looking for a good base gun for a project I have had in mind for awhile. And I own a few RIA's. And they're all better feeling with better triggers. :dunno:I am looking foward to fondeling a few more R1's now, so as to see if that's the norm. At least I wasn't the only one who came to the same conclusion, judging from some other posts.

The trigger on mine is actually not too bad. Maybe it was just a bad model. :dunno:

glock2740
01-25-2011, 23:16
The trigger on mine is actually not too bad. Maybe it was just a bad model. :dunno:
I hope so. I really had high hopes for the R1. Looking foward to getting my hands on the new Enhanced model.

bac1023
01-25-2011, 23:25
I hope so. I really had high hopes for the R1. Looking foward to getting my hands on the new Enhanced model.

I'm not sure I care for that enhanced model.

I'll have to see one in person.

samuse
01-26-2011, 07:10
I've handled a few of 'em too. Not impressed either, but hey, it's a cheap ass 1911, whaddaya expect?

I wouldn't use one as a base gun, the cast frame, series 80 stuff and the big rollmark turn me off.

bac1023
01-26-2011, 07:15
I wouldn't use one as a base gun, the cast frame, series 80 stuff and the big rollmark turn me off.

I really only like Colts as base guns, to be honest.

samuse
01-26-2011, 07:21

I agree that Colts are probably the only ones worth it.

That being said, I had a Springfield spruced up recently and it' a fine blaster, but it ain't worth anything to anyone but me.

If you're really talkin' about having a gun "built" to any degree, the price of the base gun shouldn't matter. Why save $300 when you're blowing $1,500 + just on parts and labor?

mapwd1702
02-06-2011, 12:36
I have handled 2 of them in 2 different stores and both times the finish seemed like it was just about to start peeling off around the scallops, near the trigger. Seemed gritty to me as well. reminded me of the Philippine made 1911's

PlasticGuy
02-06-2011, 15:03
Fit and finish are both good on my R1. I expected to be disappointed, but I wasn't. It's certainly not the best quality 1911 in my collection, but quality seems appropriate for the price range it's marketed within.

Cobra64
02-06-2011, 16:10

What you describe is exactly the same condition as my brand new $1,000 Colt 1918 WWI Reproduction.

The lack of pride in American workmanship today is astonishing.

Cobra64
02-06-2011, 16:12

That's what most custom pistolsmiths seem to like. Throw out everything except the frame, slide, a check for $2k, and go from there. :)

airflyer
02-06-2011, 18:00
Buddy got one had numerous problems out of box with out ever shooting one round .We took it apart had pry marks inside, extractor loose not nice at all.
look good from outside, dealer agreed and said he would send back to distributer
I wouldn't waste any cash on one after seeing the lack of quality control just my opinion

samuse
02-06-2011, 20:36
What you describe is exactly the same condition as my brand new $1,000 Colt 1918 WWI Reproduction.

The lack of pride in American workmanship today is astonishing.

And everyone still complains about Springfields being built in Brazil. I'd like to have a 1911 built in a top notch shop in Japan...

FLIPPER 348
02-06-2011, 20:56
I have several 'top notch' all American 1911s made in my shop. (about 25' away)