Why isn't my USB <---> Serial Adapter Working??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't my USB <---> Serial Adapter Working???

Obi Wan
01-25-2011, 16:24
I do not have a Serial port/board on my current Compaq PC. However, I recently picked up a Garmin GPSMAP 76 GPS to mess with and it has a serial plug on the accessory cord to upload/download data and maps to the PC.

I've tried two brands of Serial/USB adapter cables this week and in both cases I can connect to the Garmin website and it "sees" the GPS, but the PC based program "MapSource" does not see it.

Supposedly the cable creates a fake 'Com 10' serial port, but the MapSource software can't find it.

Short of installing a serial board, which may be the final option, is there anything else I can try?

:dunno:

gemeinschaft
01-25-2011, 20:15
Are there any drivers that are needed with the USB adapter?

In the case of this adapter http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm, they have drivers to download to allow Windows to recognize the Serial port.

Not sure what brand converter you are using, but it's worth a shot.

Obi Wan
01-26-2011, 09:38
Are there any drivers that are needed with the USB adapter?

In the case of this adapter http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm, they have drivers to download to allow Windows to recognize the Serial port.

Not sure what brand converter you are using, but it's worth a shot.
I did install the driver(s) that came with the cables on a mini-CD. Obviously neither did the trick. :dunno:

I'll try your link for the VCP.

Edit... It worked as Serial Port - Com 9. Thanks!

havensal
01-26-2011, 09:41
I have found USB-serial adapters are finicky. You need to find the magic driver for the version of Windows you are running. You also need to make sure all of the COM port settings are correct, Baud rate, parity, ...

I use them on a couple of different machines and have had good luck so far.

All of mine are Radio shack except the one in my Kensington dock.

gemeinschaft
01-26-2011, 09:49
I did install the driver(s) that came with the cables on a mini-CD. Obviously neither did the trick. :dunno:

I'll try your link for the VCP.

I am curious to know if the serial port adapter shows up in Device Manager when you connect the adapter.

Maybe open Device Manager and look and see if any devices are recognized that are showing issues? Of course, if it doesn't even show in Device Manager, you may have bigger issues.