20 gauge home defense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 20 gauge home defense

Sharkey
01-25-2011, 22:28
Figured the collective could help me out. Want to add to my arsenal and figured a good pump would be good. I'm a small guy and wife is petite, hence a 20 gauge. I have a 1187 in the safe and used it for a 3 gun school but wife thinks it is way too heavy.

I can go wood or synthetic for the stock but would prefer a shorter LOP. Want 18.5 barrel and will sling it and put a light on it at a minimum. Maybe a Eotech knock off in the future. Price is a consideration.

I was thinking a Mossberg 500 Pistol grip for a cheap price. Ditch the pistol grip and throw on a M4 type stock. Any other ideas? I was thinking I might be able to find a used one at a pawn shop and build to suit from there?

Did 870's ever come in a 20gauge P model or was it strictly the Express models?

Thanks.

MCKNBRD
01-26-2011, 05:13
870 Compact Express would be the way to go. The 20" barrel and short stock make them INCREDIBLY handy, and you can get just about any flavor of buckshot for them. I prefer the 870 to the 500 strictly because of how sloppy the action rails are on the forend. Well, that, and how much of a jerk our Mossberg rep was when I called him one time about a customer issue.

Plus, it has the added benefit of changeable chokes, so if you ever decide to go hunting or trap shooting, you can swap tubes.

Byrdman

aippi
01-26-2011, 13:33
There is a 20ga 870 that is parkerized and upgraded with police parts and is as close to a 20ga 870 police as you will get. It comes in two models but since it can be built with different barrels then the picured models it is more like six models offered. Shop and you will find it.

volsbear
01-26-2011, 13:37
Can you get a Mossy 500 JIC in 20 gauge?

Sharkey
01-26-2011, 14:37
Thanks for the info. on the 870.

I'll check it out.
I knew about the Express and Mossberg has a 500 series that would work too.
I just didn't know if there was something else out there. Haven't been shotgun shopping in over a decade.

WiskyT
01-26-2011, 15:44
IMO, the 20G guns aren't that much smaller than the Bantam 12G guns. I have a Bantam stock on my 50012G with a 18.5" barrel. I never shot them side by side, but I think reduced recoil 12G buck is as soft shooting as the 20G loads. So, if you already had a 20G, I wouldn't go replacing it with a 12G, but, since you are starting from scratch so to speak, I would give a hard look at the youth sized 12G guns. There is more ammo versitility in 12G and for practical purposes, the guns are the same size. Remington jas youth sized 870's too if you end up liking the 870 better.

The Rem guns have a smaller grip area than the standard Moss guns. To me, it's the correct size. The Moss grip is for Herman Munster, so cutting down a standard Moss 500 stock still leaves you with a big grip. It's not so much the diameter of the grip, as it is the length of it. But, the Moss Bantam stock has a reduced grip size that is close to the Rem stock. That's why I got the Bantam stock instead of cutting down one of the extra standard stocks I already had.

Aceman
01-26-2011, 16:34
Try the Mossberg bantam

unit1069
01-26-2011, 20:44
Last month I looked at both a Mossberg and Remington youth model at Bass Pro.

Both were right around $300 as I recall. I liked the synthetic better (Mossberg, I think) than the wood and you could probably put a Knoxx Reduced Recoil stock on it. I thought both stocks were a little short, but not so short they couldn't be used effectively right out of the box.

Goldstar225
01-26-2011, 21:34
The Remington 20 gauge youth model would work well for you and your wife. Extended magazines are available. Having seen the terminal effect a 2 3/4" load of #3 buckshot has, it will serve you well.