Best mags [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best mags

themighty9mm
01-26-2011, 18:53
I'm shooting a colt 6920. Currently dont have much in the way of mags for it. I have 2 usgi 20 round mags and 1 black pmag. Looking to get a few more. So who makes the best mags? Please post a why or why not. If this has been covered before I am sorry

bubbatime
01-26-2011, 19:19
NHMTG, Okay D&H, Labelle for GI mags.
PMags in 30 rds. The 20's worked great for me but are spotty for some.

themighty9mm
01-26-2011, 19:25
What are the brand names on those usgi? Sorry I dont know the initials

bubbatime
01-26-2011, 19:33
NHMTG, Okay, D&H, Labelle are name brands. They are typically milspec magazines - same as the military uses. Especially if they have a Cage code stamped on them.

These will serve you well. Good price too.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20bt30mf.htm

And these too.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PMAG-AR15-Magazine-p/mag210%20black%20window.htm

themighty9mm
01-26-2011, 19:36
OOhhhh, lol:embarassed: Thank you, I'll check out those links

zhix
01-26-2011, 20:23
Pmags seem to be the best/most popular, but I also like GI mags which cost about half as much. I picked up some GI Brownells mags recently with the latest tan follower for $8 each and Center Industries-which have a blank floorplate but are marked on the package for $7.

EPAPressure
01-26-2011, 20:35
P Mags

Don't get caught up into what's " Mil Spec" because the military issues junk. Most guys over there right now can't get enough p mags

Alaskapopo
01-26-2011, 20:46
P mags, Brownells mags and Lancer mags. Lancers new warfighter mags look great.
Pat

RMTactical
01-26-2011, 22:05
I'm a fan of PMAGs.

Mr. Gekko
01-26-2011, 22:42
I like the PMAG's the most, but I would get more D&H if the price is right. Never had a problem with either.

ronin.45
01-27-2011, 21:23
Pmags are about the best going. There are some good metal mags too but the Pmags are hard to beat.

themighty9mm
01-27-2011, 21:33
Yea I already had 1 pmag. Was just wondering if there was a better product out. Can't say I have ever had a problem with the pmag. Ended up jumpin on that mag deal goin on in this section of the forum. Not a bad price

BBJones
01-27-2011, 21:41
Pmags Pmags and more Pmags.

Captains1911
01-27-2011, 22:02
Pmags Pmags and more Pmags.

This.

Bushflyr
01-27-2011, 22:17
Meh, whatever. Pmags are the hot 5h!t right now (and I have a bunch) but any flavor of USGI mags are just fine. And I have a ton of those too. They all feed great. If one doesn't toss it and cry over the $4 later.

WoodenPlank
01-28-2011, 00:59
PMAGs, or HK SA80 mags. The HKs are harder to come by, bloody expensive, and quite heavy, but theyre amazingly reliable. For the money, though, you can't beat PMAGs.

PlasticGuy
01-28-2011, 05:06
P Mags

Don't get caught up into what's " Mil Spec" because the military issues junk. Most guys over there right now can't get enough p mags
That's not entirely accurate. PMags may well be the best AR15 mag when it comes to taking abuse. Drop it, step on it, run it over with a truck and it still works. That much is true.

However, they do not do as well over long periods of normal use. They fatigue and can crack down the back between the feed lips. We have been using PMags at our training center for the last 2+ years, and have had to throw out several for this reason.

For my purposes, I train with PMags because I know they can take a lot of short term abuse. I have a pile of USGI mags (mostly NHMTG) for long term storage and use. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, so I think it is prudent to have some of both.

1967c10
01-28-2011, 11:54
Right now I am trying out the Immortal mags from CMMG. Only have about 100 rounds through each mag I have and I like them so far. Its my first AR and my first set of AR mags so I don't really have an opinion on the others.

Was planning on getting Pmags just because the Glock mags are plastic too and I love them. But my dealer gave me too good of a deal on these CMMG ones, so I figured they were worth a try!

MCKNBRD
01-28-2011, 16:11
What about those new SureFire mags? I'm thinking about getting a couple dozen of the 100 rounders for the zombie apocalypse.

Thoughts?

:whistling:

:tongueout:

Alaskapopo
01-28-2011, 16:13
What about those new SureFire mags? I'm thinking about getting a couple dozen of the 100 rounders for the zombie apocalypse.

Thoughts?

:whistling:

:tongueout:
I have a 60 rounder on pre order with Brownells. All kidding aside these quad stack mags are going to change the AR15 world. They are expensive but they offer a lot more ammo without adding that much extra bulk. I am getting one for three gun and then if it works well I will get another for my patrol gun.
Pat

deputy tom
01-29-2011, 21:09
Back in the '70's I had real good luck with twenty round Adventure Line brand mags.I'd love to find a case of them today at the right price.tom.:cool:

Ruggles
01-29-2011, 21:15
Lots of quality AR mags out today :)

Any of the above would work fine. I prefer the metal mags but PMags are good stuff.

tx787
01-29-2011, 23:24
I really like pmags even the older non rev-m ones have been great. I ordered some of the Brownells house made ones to check out, will report back once they arrive.

RyanNREMTP
01-30-2011, 00:01
I really like the PMags as well. I do have a pair of Sig 30 rounders that I really like. They have a connector that allows them to sit side by side.

rkwrichard
01-30-2011, 07:53
I have a 60 rounder on pre order with Brownells. All kidding aside these quad stack mags are going to change the AR15 world. They are expensive but they offer a lot more ammo without adding that much extra bulk. I am getting one for three gun and then if it works well I will get another for my patrol gun.
Pat

Pat,

They look good in the video but let us know what they are like with field use...

I am going to test one as soon as I can get my hands on one also..

WhiskeyUnicorn
01-30-2011, 08:01
Pmag and GI mags are both good to me...just sayin...whatever works

Jon_R
01-30-2011, 08:20
I have had good luck with lots of different mags.
P-Mags are nice but based on their shape don't stack or store as easy as USGI style mags. I still have a dozen or so of them. One thing that I really like about them if full to 30 rounds I can still lock it into the rifle with the bolt forward. USGI mags usually are a problem with that so I download them 1 or 2 rounds.

I have had no problems with Brownell, C-Products, AR-Stoner. About 6 months ago I bought a 100 pack of D&H from Bravo Company when they where $7 per mag and those have performed well to. I also have a few old USGI mags probably from the 80s and no problems there either and they have the "Bad" follower in them.

The Brownell ones I got in tan for something different.

I might try some larger ones for 3-gun but I don't mind swapping mags and won't find myself high on the leader board either way.

stopatrain
01-30-2011, 08:33
Pmags are my new favorite, before that D&H.

Alaskapopo
01-30-2011, 13:06
Pat,

They look good in the video but let us know what they are like with field use...

I am going to test one as soon as I can get my hands on one also..

I will be testing them for a while before I use them with my patrol gun. But Surefires three gun team used them the entire last season without issues.
Pat

JHorner_G17C
01-30-2011, 16:49
Has anybody heard of this little company called Tango Down? There is a reason US SOF are issued them and not PMAGS. Just my honest opinion. I have about ten of the TD 30rd'ers and have put well over 1000 rounds through my older ones and NEVER had any failures or malfunctions. Yes they are pricey, about $22 each but well worth it. IMHO

Alaskapopo
01-30-2011, 17:02
Has anybody heard of this little company called Tango Down? There is a reason US SOF are issued them and not PMAGS. Just my honest opinion. I have about ten of the TD 30rd'ers and have put well over 1000 rounds through my older ones and NEVER had any failures or malfunctions. Yes they are pricey, about $22 each but well worth it. IMHO

I purchased 2 Tango down mags for my collection. 1 works fine and the other causes malfunctions. I won't be buying anymore. Also where did you get the information that they are issued to SOF? I doubt that. You also can't take the mags apart for cleaning. They are built to be disposable another thing I don't care for.
Pat

JHorner_G17C
01-30-2011, 18:54
As we all know there are lemons in every aspect of manufactured goods and products. (not even Glock has a perfect track record the G30sf comes to mind) That being said, I'm sure that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has had a bad mag from any of the aforementioned companies. I only was posting my opinion. Oh and as far as our SOF using them I can only speak for MARSOC. (from REAL LIFE experience, not something I "heard" or read on the web) There are to many mall ninjas on here as of late, but having bled for my country thats not me. Any other branches SOF I really don't know or care what they are issued. Yes you can buy and use any mag you want but I have had no trouble with these and just thought I'd share my OPINION. Oh and yes you can take them apart for cleaning, you just have to be smarter than the mag.

AK_Stick
01-31-2011, 08:12
SOF uses pretty much whatever the particular shooter in question likes.

I have seen Pmags, TD, and regular USGI, and H&K in common usage with them.

Personally, I run P-mags when I have a choice, but I can\'t say I\'ve had alot of problems with regular mags. Currently, I\'m running all USGI on my leg rig/go kit.

Alaskapopo
01-31-2011, 12:33
As we all know there are lemons in every aspect of manufactured goods and products. (not even Glock has a perfect track record the G30sf comes to mind) That being said, I'm sure that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has had a bad mag from any of the aforementioned companies. I only was posting my opinion. Oh and as far as our SOF using them I can only speak for MARSOC. (from REAL LIFE experience, not something I "heard" or read on the web) There are to many mall ninjas on here as of late, but having bled for my country thats not me. Any other branches SOF I really don't know or care what they are issued. Yes you can buy and use any mag you want but I have had no trouble with these and just thought I'd share my OPINION. Oh and yes you can take them apart for cleaning, you just have to be smarter than the mag.
The mags are designed not to be taken apart. If you are getting them apart you are breaking something or doing something the manufacture did not intend. That is a main criticism of the mag from several sources not just me. That is right from the manufacture. Your right there are a lot of mall ninja's here and hence why I doubted the SOF claim you made.
pat

Norman B
01-31-2011, 12:36
Has anybody heard of this little company called Tango Down? There is a reason US SOF are issued them and not PMAGS. Just my honest opinion.

What would that reason be??

JHorner_G17C
01-31-2011, 16:45
Because they are the lowest bidder..... Duh... All kidding aside my close friend is in MARSOB. (he's a super grunt I'm just a regular grunt :) ) They are given the tangodown's but can obviously carry whatever they prefer I've seen SSGT operators that use GI mags, it's all about what works for you. As for taking them apart I dont know what to believe now because last night I went to take apart one of my newer ones and sure enough it's not coming apart. So no beef there POPO we work for the same man. Lol

Jim173
02-01-2011, 00:36
if you dont mind dishing out the money H&K makes really good mags, they feed really smooth, and exceptionally sturdy. But in my opinion GI mags work just as well as anything out there on the market.

poodleshooter1
02-01-2011, 00:44
So how do C-Products stack up compared to PMags? Are the Pmags lacking in long term durability? I like the fact that I could take it apart and clean it so easily after dropping it in a big puddle of mud.

Alaskapopo
02-01-2011, 00:53
So how do C-Products stack up compared to PMags? Are the Pmags lacking in long term durability? I like the fact that I could take it apart and clean it so easily after dropping it in a big puddle of mud.

C Products mags are very hit or miss. I got rid of the ones I had. Don't bother with them. P mags are very good and I have not had an issue with them for long term durability.
Pat

poodleshooter1
02-01-2011, 00:58
C Products mags are very hit or miss. I got rid of the ones I had. Don't bother with them. P mags are very good and I have not had an issue with them for long term durability.
Pat

So keep buying PMAGS then? I recently bought 10 pmags and was going to buy some more, though I was tempted to go for the GI mags for the lower price.

zhix
02-01-2011, 07:17
I was tempted to go for the GI mags for the lower price.

I would give them a try since you already have a decent supply of Pmags

ETA: I'm not sure if C-products are actual GI, but they are supposed to be guaranteed to work; I would stick with Okay Ind., Center Ind., Brownell's, NHMTG, and D&H/DSG

poodleshooter1
02-13-2011, 16:18
I would give them a try since you already have a decent supply of Pmags

ETA: I'm not sure if C-products are actual GI, but they are supposed to be guaranteed to work; I would stick with Okay Ind., Center Ind., Brownell's, NHMTG, and D&H/DSG

C-Products are mil spec from what I read and they do have a gov contract. I have quite a few and have had no problems with them. I have a 50/50 supply of GI and PMAGS right now (13 GI and 11 PMAG)

I've read stories about the PMAG's cracking in the back between the feedlips. There are pics as well. It's a little disconcerting...

Alaskapopo
02-13-2011, 16:43
So keep buying PMAGS then? I recently bought 10 pmags and was going to buy some more, though I was tempted to go for the GI mags for the lower price.

Brownells mags are very good and they have had a Government contract. C Products sucks.
Pat

mstennes
02-13-2011, 21:23
Get a variety, I have PMags, D&H, CProducts SS, and a huge assortment of older GI 30 rounders up graded with Magpul followers. Be careful and look at a tru GI, I have seen a number of cheapo mags with Cage Codes on them but when you look closely they dont have as many spot welds and just dont look as good as true GI

pag23
02-14-2011, 09:02
I have a newer Bushmaster Carbon 15 and it loves the Bushmaster mags it came with and the P-Mags, I like the P-Mags as they match the gun and the accessories. I am going to order some of the Brownells USGI to have for the range..

smoke
02-14-2011, 09:29
USGI OKAY (same as COLT) or CProd SS work for me. Old Labelles and Brit Steel SA80s are also good if you can find them.

mac66
02-14-2011, 09:51
Best bang for the buck IMO is C-Product mags. Good quality, good price ($8/ea) and they work. I have couple dozen of them.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/175.php

Personally I just don't see the appeal of the P-Mags. Yeah they work and look cool, but you are paying 2/3rds more for something that any metal mag would do.

GenoTac Ind.
02-14-2011, 13:32
Lancer L5 and PMags. I have an equal amount of each. Only problems are from a couple PMags that fail to lock the bolt back when empty.

blade_daywalker
02-14-2011, 17:25
all those problems were the non m version old style pmags, not the new m version with cover that attaches to the bottom

drakeky
02-14-2011, 20:57
P Mags

+1... These are very reliable in my experience and very inexpensive. They have my vote and come in black, od green, and tan. That is a plus too for me.

Mongosafari
02-19-2011, 08:28
HK 416 steel mag Marine coat.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr219/MongoSafari/ce9dc992.jpg

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1318792