carbine or full length gas? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : carbine or full length gas?

ruffhunter
01-26-2011, 21:55
I have a Hogue full length handguard on a 16 in barrel and I was in need of sights. I purchased a YHM 9394 gas block/flip up front sight. I only got the 9394 just to have a front sight that will sit beyond the handguard and it also gives a longer sighting plane. It currently has the factory short length gas block that sits 3 inches from the end of the handguard tube. Would you leave it as is or convert it to a full length gas system?

Bushflyr
01-26-2011, 22:08
If you're asking the question you don't know enough to go messing with the length of your gas system. Leave it.

crazymoose
01-27-2011, 01:39
You can't go longer on the gas system without plugging up the old gas port and drilling a new one, both of which are major operations requiring precise equipment and a machinist's skills. By the time you do this, it will have been cheaper to just buy a new barrel. However, your new gas block will work fine just as a front sight post.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Novocaine
01-27-2011, 02:32
Why in the world would you want to convert it to rifle length?

faawrenchbndr
01-27-2011, 05:10
You would need to replace the barrel to change the gas system.
It sounds as if you have a carbine gase system & you are wanting a longer sight radius?

Do some research on the "dissipator" or send me a pm and I will send you a few links

Unistat
01-27-2011, 06:36
Why in the world would you want to convert it to rifle length?

Because rifle length gas systems are more reliable with less wear and tear on the gun? Not saying he should do it, but I can see why he would want to.

faawrenchbndr
01-27-2011, 06:47
Because rifle length gas systems are more reliable with less wear and tear on the gun? Not saying he should do it, but I can see why he would want to.

Not really,........depends on many things. A rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel
has a weird dwell time. For a 16" the standard and most reliable is a mid length gas.

OP seems more concerned about getting a rifle length sight radius than gas system

BBJones
01-27-2011, 11:00
I am thinking the OP means mid-length gas system and not "rifle length." Rifle length on a 16" is very unusual and may lead to a host of problems.

Like others have said to get a mid-length (or any other length of gas system) you need a new barrel. If you want a longer sight radius maybe get a rail to mount sights.

Bushflyr
01-27-2011, 12:28
Actually, changing the length of gas system is rather easy. Just not something the OP ought to tackle at his level of experience.

Durden
01-27-2011, 22:20
Because rifle length gas systems are more reliable with less wear and tear on the gun?

Allegedly. Just sayin'.

DieselNut
01-27-2011, 22:27
I have a Hogue full length handguard on a 16 in barrel and I was in need of sights. I purchased a YHM 9394 gas block/flip up front sight. I only got the 9394 just to have a front sight that will sit beyond the handguard and it also gives a longer sighting plane. It currently has the factory short length gas block that sits 3 inches from the end of the handguard tube. Would you leave it as is or convert it to a full length gas system?

Look up the pig tail gas tube or a Fat boy gas tube. I think both would slow your cycle rate and lessen the wear on your bolt.
Probably could find them cheaper somewhere else but here's one:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/100000553.html

Bushflyr
01-28-2011, 00:13
Look up the pig tail gas tube or a Fat boy gas tube.

Dude. Just no. :upeyes:

01-28-2011, 00:16
If you're asking the question you don't know enough to go messing with the length of your gas system. Leave it.
^^^^^^^^^^^

ruffhunter
01-28-2011, 16:22
I only poised this question since I added the YHM flip sight (just for the sight) and thought about putting the gas block to use. Knowing the rifle length gas system would be easier on gun. NO I wouldn't mess with it myself for those critics. I'm just going to leave it as is.