Aimpoints [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoints

MAJINKONG
01-27-2011, 01:02
Buy once, cry once.. so said about aimpoints. Another is leave the battery ON-No question on battery life here.
But what Aimpoint Inc failed to answer me is.. Does leaving the battery ON will not shorten the life of the unit? Anybody here has a decent answer on this?
The only sure thing I know that can do this -leaving the battery ON without shortening the life of a unit.. is a Clock.

Alaskapopo
01-27-2011, 01:20
Buy once, cry once.. so said about aimpoints. Another is leave the battery ON-No question on battery life here.
But what Aimpoint Inc failed to answer me is.. Does leaving the battery ON will not shorten the life of the unit? Anybody here has a decent answer on this?
The only sure thing I know that can do this -leaving the battery ON without shortening the life of a unit.. is a Clock.

I am sure that someday the LED will degrade but by then your grandkids will have a newer cool sight to go on their plasma rifles.
Pat

crazymoose
01-27-2011, 01:43
Never heard of it being an issue.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

MrMurphy
01-27-2011, 06:49
It's designed to be left on all the time. At some weirdly long time like 100,000 hours (around a decade) you might have to replace the emitter. Insert battery, buy a couple spares. Somewhere around 8-10 years from now you 'might' have to send it in for service. That said with the release of the Comp M2s, that's still been pretty rare. And while you can definitely leave it on, if the gun is sitting in a safe.......turn it off. Simple enough. If it's a duty weapon/HD gun, leave it on.

jdodd
01-27-2011, 09:07
SOP for aimpoints is 24/7 operation.

Look at the new aimpoint PRO, it comes with a sticker you mark when you turned it on so you remember years later when to replace.

-J

ronin.45
01-27-2011, 20:17
I've had aimpoints for years and never had(or heard about) any diode issues. I turn them off in storage but they stay on all the time when at competitions.

ScrappyDoo
01-28-2011, 14:14
I was very interested in this exact same issue and basically I concur with what's posted, I turn mine off when I know I'm really not gonna need it but it gets 5 years of constant on on setting 8 of 12 ( which is really Fine with a capital F ... I know a professional operator that uses a lower setting even ) ... Point is I think the odds of the actual unit dykng is low.

Alaskapopo
01-28-2011, 14:28
I was very interested in this exact same issue and basically I concur with what's posted, I turn mine off when I know I'm really not gonna need it but it gets 5 years of constant on on setting 8 of 12 ( which is really Fine with a capital F ... I know a professional operator that uses a lower setting even ) ... Point is I think the odds of the actual unit dykng is low.

The setting you use is dependent on the light conditions. In lower light lower settings. In bright sunny days I use the max setting.
Pat

rexx9
01-28-2011, 14:44
well we use aimpoints in the air force security forces and a random sample of about 20 shooters with aimpoints we have to replace about 5 batteries per year. but we have rarely had a major failure its always just batteries. we always make sure they are off in storage and keep them on during shift

MrMurphy
01-28-2011, 23:52
Out of 400+ in my old squadron i can only remember maybe half a dozen batteries being changed........ever. In 3 years. Even getting more was a pain (I asked).