Thunder Ranch Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Ranch Question

Brucev
01-27-2011, 18:02
I found a used .44 Special Thunder Ranch at a local gun shop. Condition is virtually perfect. Not a mark on it. In fact it may be new. I have not yet asked the shop owner. In the wooden case. No cardboard carton, etc. Priced at $500 plus tax. I would like a nice .44 Special. Is this a good price. Would it be better to look for a 4" M-29? It is fixed sights. Round blade front... wider than I expected. Didn't know any better and thought when I first saw it that it was a .45ACP. Suggestions, etc., appreciated.

Brucev
01-28-2011, 14:23
After doing some selling of items "surplus to my needs," I took a drive over to the local gun shop and took another look at the M-21-4 .44 Special Thunder Ranch S&W revolver. It has been sold to a local individual. He brought it and a number of other guns in and sold them back to the shop. He told the shop owner it was never fired. From my examination, I would say that it is unfired. In the next few days, that will likely change, just as soon as I can find some .44 Special ammo. Right now I only have one box of Cowboy loads using 240 gr. lead flatnosed bullets. If I can't find anything else, I'll just go ahead and fire these. It was priced at $550 plus tax. I had been told they would sell it to me for $500 plus tax. I ended up getting it for $490 plus tax. I just couldn't get them to ignore the tax! But, $525 seemed O.K. to me.

The revolver is simply perfect in every respect. It comes in a fitted wood case with a glass top that has the Thunder Ranch logo etched into the underside of the glass. The revolver is a 21-4 with the Thunder Ranch logo on the sideplate in gold. It has a roundbutt grip with smooth combat type grips. The trigger and hammer are I think MIM items as the trigger has a hollow back and the hammer is flat faced with the firing pin mounted in the frame. This revolver has a lock. I figure sooner or later I'll buy a plug for it. The grip fits perfectly. It is just about perfect for my hand as it is K frame size which for me is ideal. The timing on the action is perfect. The single-action is what one would expect from a S&W revolver. The double-action is smooth and even with the cylinder locking before the hammer breaks.

As soon as my wife comes home from work, I will take some photos and get them up so that everyone can take a look and see what they think.

I think that just as soon as I can I will contact El Paso Saddlery and order up one of the Austin holsters. Until then, I'm going to find me a Uncle Mikes hip holster so I can enjoy carrying this revolver on some of my walks in the woods.

COWBOYSHOOTER
01-28-2011, 17:28
Love me some 44 special! But it will MAKE you start reloading. You'd be hard pressed to find a more expensive caliber. Blazer has an excellent 200 grain gold dot load. I also really like the 200 grain Silvertip load from Winchester. :wavey:

Brucev
01-28-2011, 20:28
I plan to locate some WW Silvertips. I have used them before and think they will be good for HD. I haven't seen any of the Blazer Gold Dot .44 Special ammo. I've been reloading for 30 years, so I figure adding .44 Special dies will not be a big deal. Once upon a time I used to load .44 Magnums, but I let the dies get away. I figure I'll load 240 gr. SWC for practice. I have a good stock of Unique and Red Dot on hand. I think it'll be fun. Looking forward to it.

COWBOYSHOOTER
02-01-2011, 19:29
I REALLY like a 200 grain lead bullet over 7 grains of unique or a 200gr JHP over 8! :wavey:

Poohgyrr
02-02-2011, 22:59
I dislike gold on handguns, except for the front sight - where it does well for me. That said, I really like the 4" N frame fixed sight .44 Special S&W. A lot. This is our large caliber heavy bullet handgun for outdoors. Handloading is mandatory. Casting your own bullets gives you many loads that most ammo manufacturers have never made, or have stopped loading. Buffalo Bore is your friend for a source of expensive, but good factory ammo.

Here is a pic of one, with its' sidekick 38 Special. Ammo is Federal SWCHP; Quickstrip from Tuff Products (Yeah!!! Finally!!! 44/45 caliber Speedstrips!!! Bianchi - you blew it!!)

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy329/Poohgyrr/Guns/695733ca.jpg

mikey357
02-03-2011, 02:53
I kinda' like the "Thunder Ranch" guns myself...here are two Model 22 TR's...please pardon the "Off Brand Bottomfeeder"....mikey357

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/mikey357/DSC_0091.jpg