Opinions on Kimber Gold Combat [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Kimber Gold Combat

G17Gen4
01-27-2011, 21:07
Ok so heres the deal, I am currently a Glock shooter but I have been shooting a lot of 1911's lately (Wilson, Sig, Kimber Custom II, and Springfield) and even after 6000 + rounds through my G17 Gen4 I still shoot all the 1911's better. So I am going to be buying a Kimber when I get my taxes back, I would look at other brands but I get a 50% discount on Kimber through my employer. I was trying to decided if I should buy a base model Kimber Custom II and then modify it from there, or should I just go all out and buy a Kimber Gold Combat? This gun will be a every day carry gun along with an IDPA gun and a range buddy for my G17 so it will be heavily used.

Rinspeed
01-27-2011, 21:17
I really like Kimbers but I also think you would be much better off getting a Custom II and replacing some of the small parts after you put some rounds through it.

glock2740
01-27-2011, 21:17
I think they're awesome. I had the stainless bull barrel version on order for over 6 months, then told them to cancel or sell it to someone else, IF it ever came in. Actually, I told them to call me if it ever came in. Never have heard from them. :dunno:If you can find one, jump on it.

rsxr22
01-27-2011, 21:21
The GC is one of Kimber's best made guns, but i would still go another route. Like TRP or STI Lawman or Trojan. I believe they are better made guns for the price point. I am not a huge Kimber fan due to negative personal experiences of QC and CS as well from a retailing standpoint.

bac1023
01-27-2011, 21:22
If you want a high end Kimber, go for the Super Match. Its the best 1911 they build.

If you get 50% off, it will be an outstanding value.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/cutillo_2009/002-8.jpg

G17Gen4
01-27-2011, 21:46
I almost forgot about the Super Match thanks for the reminder. Also I have heard of the long wait times but hopefully my employer may have a bit of pull to push an order through quickly.

bac1023
01-27-2011, 21:49
I almost forgot about the Super Match thanks for the reminder. Also I have heard of the long wait times but hopefully my employer may have a bit of pull to push an order through quickly.

The Super Match is the only Kimber with an accuracy gaurantee.

I find it a very accurate shooter. :)

G17Gen4
01-27-2011, 21:56
How will the finish on the slide hold up to being carried IWB every day? Also I would put night sights on what ever gun I end up with so would that hurt the accuracy of the super match?

Ruggles
01-27-2011, 22:42
Gold Combats are nice indeed as are the Super Matches. I would prefer either one over the base model Baer 1911s myself. I would take a Baer SuperTac or SRP over the Kimber. 50% a Gold Combat is a no brainier IMO.

AZ Husker
01-27-2011, 23:03
I hate adjustable sights for a carry gun. My original series Gold Combat is the best shooting gun I've ever owned, including Baers, Wilsons, and my sweet Ed Brown.

MD357
01-27-2011, 23:25
I really like Kimbers but I also think you would be much better off getting a Custom II and replacing some of the small parts after you put some rounds through it.

This. There is no difference in parts from a Custom II to a "Supermatch" it's all fluff and marketing.

HAIL CAESAR
01-27-2011, 23:42
At 50% off..I'd jump on it.

Doc8404
01-27-2011, 23:50
I hate adjustable sights for a carry gun. .

why ?

AZ Husker
01-28-2011, 01:15
They snag on my clothes and scratch my side. Smooth combat sights are perfect, unless you're doing bullseye competitions.

majette
01-28-2011, 02:46
50% off a gold combat is a great buy. get the RL version

bac1023
01-28-2011, 04:09
This. There is no difference in parts from a Custom II to a "Supermatch" it's all fluff and marketing.

No, but there is a difference in fitting. ;)

TheJ
01-28-2011, 04:47
If you want a high end Kimber, go for the Super Match. Its the best 1911 they build.

If you get 50% off, it will be an outstanding value.
+1. I would say the same thing.

Without doing any research.. I know at a minimum the barrel is different. The super match II comes with a stainless barrel, most Kimbers use carbon steel left in white.

MD357
01-28-2011, 09:21
No, but there is a difference in fitting. ;)

Yeah, uh huh from the Kimber "Custom Shop"? :cool: To be honest, the one thing Kimbers have going for them IMO is that their stock guns are well fitted in terms of frame and slide and barrel. I've never seen a significant difference in their higher end guns.... or enough that would warrant twice the price.

Without doing any research.. I know at a minimum the barrel is different. The super match II comes with a stainless barrel, most Kimbers use carbon steel left in white.

Yep and if you do a little more research they probably did this for corrosion issues, not performance. How about their ignition sets? Non-mim thumb safety?

G17Gen4
01-28-2011, 10:33
Im going to be calling Kimber today to see how long it usually takes for them to send a gun to one of their dealers and if there is much of a difference when sending a custom shop gun. Also which gun I buy will depend on how much I get back on my tax return. I can always get rid of one of my shotguns that I never use to make up the difference between the Custom and the Gold Combat. The adjustable sights and the slide finish of the Super Match make me nervous since I will be carrying it everyday.

MD357
01-28-2011, 10:46
Im going to be calling Kimber today to see how long it usually takes for them to send a gun to one of their dealers and if there is much of a difference when sending a custom shop gun. Also which gun I buy will depend on how much I get back on my tax return. I can always get rid of one of my shotguns that I never use to make up the difference between the Custom and the Gold Combat. The adjustable sights and the slide finish of the Super Match make me nervous since I will be carrying it everyday.

Depending on your body type make sure you try carrying a gun with adj before you buy, it's not a pleasant experience for some including me, others it's just fine.

G17Gen4
01-28-2011, 10:58
Well I just got off the phone with Kimber and it will be a 1-2 month wait for any gun. Which isn't to bad but its going to suck waiting for something that long once I have already paid for it. **** if it would make it any faster I would just drive to N.Y and help them make the damn thing. Soooo... does anyone have a slightly used Wilson or a Gold Combat laying around that wants a new owner? :whistling:

Rinspeed
01-28-2011, 11:09
Soooo... does anyone have a slightly used Wilson or a Gold Combat laying around that wants a new owner? :whistling:

Wouldn't be too hard to find either.

TheJ
01-28-2011, 12:33
Depending on your body type make sure you try carrying a gun with adj before you buy, it's not a pleasant experience for some including me, others it's just fine.

I would definitely concur on the adjustable sites not so good on a carry gun IMO.

glock2740
01-28-2011, 12:41
I would look at other brands but I get a 50% discount on Kimber through my employer.
You guys hiring?:dunno: :)

Ruggles
01-28-2011, 18:20
Regardless of your opinion on rather the Gold Combat or Super Match are significantly better than the other Kimber 1911s either one of these models at 50% is a steal IMO. Buy the damn thing before you lose the opportunity :)

I personally still think either model is a top tier 1911.

G17Gen4
01-28-2011, 18:48
I am just going to wait the 1-2 months and buy one from them. Its not like I dont have other guns of my own to shoot while I wait and I have access to other Kimbers and a Wilson CQB if I want to shoot a 1911 (which I do). So the wait will be agonizing but I guess my G17 Gen4 and those other 1911's will have to keep me company while I wait.

bac1023
01-28-2011, 19:21
Yeah, uh huh from the Kimber "Custom Shop"? :cool: To be honest, the one thing Kimbers have going for them IMO is that their stock guns are well fitted in terms of frame and slide and barrel. I've never seen a significant difference in their higher end guns.... or enough that would warrant twice the price.

I agree that the entry level Kimbers are fitted nicely. I think they're the nicest fit guns in their price range, in fact.

I do notice a nice difference between my Custom II and Super Match, however. I'm not saying its nearly the value that the Custom II is, but it is nice and it shoots great.

bac1023
01-28-2011, 19:21
You guys hiring?:dunno: :)

:rofl:

bac1023
01-28-2011, 19:23
I personally still think either model is a top tier 1911.

They're certainly top tier production 1911s. In fact, the Super Match is my favorite production 1911.

airflyer
01-28-2011, 21:32
I have a series one gold combat and it's as tight and smooth as my les baer and shoots great it's awesome gun one of my favorites , just have to find new nite sites they have gone dim

AZ Husker
01-28-2011, 21:44
Call Kimber, they just replaced a set of nite sites on my GC that's just over ten years old. No charge.

airflyer
01-28-2011, 21:50
Call Kimber, they just replaced a set of nite sites on my GC that's just over ten years old. No charge.

Sweet deal thanks , mines that old too