Hard Disks - Fault tolerance? Overhead? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disks - Fault tolerance? Overhead?

inthefrey
01-28-2011, 17:22
Deleted...

Pierre!
01-29-2011, 09:54
Yup! You got it right, all related to RAID functions.

Good Call!

poodleshooter1
01-29-2011, 11:23
Think of fault tolerance like this: if a component fails (a disk or power supply for example) will my data be lost/system crash?

Servers usually have redundant power supplies, NIC's, and disk (RAID) so that if one component fails, the whole thing doesn't come down. Give you an opportunity to replace components that failed while the system keeps working.

tous
01-29-2011, 16:03
The Disk Management utility does not reflect the overhead of a hardware RAID, no what fault-tolerant algorithm is used.

Windows Server since 2003 sp1, Vista and Windows 7 allow users to mirror (RAID 1) HDDs via software. If you did this, that would appear in the fault tolerant and overhead columns. Should the system drive fail, you would see the option to IPL from the copy.

A Hardware RAID is always preferable to a software RAID.

poodleshooter1
01-29-2011, 19:37
The Disk Management utility does not reflect the overhead of a hardware RAID, no what fault-tolerant algorithm is used.

Windows Server since 2003 sp1, Vista and Windows 7 allow users to mirror (RAID 1) HDDs via software. If you did this, that would appear in the fault tolerant and overhead columns. Should the system drive fail, you would see the option to IPL from the copy.

A Hardware RAID is always preferable to a software RAID.

This is true. It also does not take up the resources that software RAID does.

Markasaurus
01-29-2011, 20:35
i used to be a Microsoft MCSE. Windows 98, and 2000, TCP/IP, and a couple hardware courses too. If you use windows, there usually are no magical command line tricks to fix it when it breaks, which it will. I fix problems with windows by reloading it. (i clone from a spare hard drive that's got the power unplugged but fresh loaded with my main programs).

anyway, in my experience it's always best to assume windows is going to fail tomorrow. If its on the computer and i cant afford to lose it, i back it up to a DVD, a CD, a flash drive, or just send it to yahoo mail if it's small enough. I've always done things like this and i've never lost anything important when the Windows load crashed permanently.