Feeding Deer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Deer

ctaggart
01-29-2011, 05:08
I've been feeding my local deer in order to get some pictures on the game cam and to supplement their diet a little bit. We've been getting a lot of snow the past few years here in the northeast. All I'm feeding right now is shelled corn and I would like to add some protein to their diet.

Can somebody offer a suggestion to a feed mix? I have a few local mills here that could mix the feed up, I really don't know what to ask for though. I'd rather not spend the money on pre packed feeds from big names like Cabelas.

sourdough44
01-29-2011, 06:07
I have a friend who feeds mostly corn, the deer like it but the nutrition factor is kinda low. I read an article by the DNR years ago where they stated the same, corn = low nutrition. It advised that you are much better off with horse or rabbit pellets/feed. It also mentioned that late Winter was the most stressful time of the year for the deer. If your able I would just get some feed from your local farm supply store.

I know some states restrict legal feeding compared to years back, just passing it on.

paidfor
01-29-2011, 08:18
here in Texas you can buy corn/protien mixed togther. It is a little more expensive. I also just throw out cotten seek cake pellets. Or if you don't mind cattle or goats in the feed, just buy a protien bucket. They lick it and get all of the protien they need. If your feed store does not have any of these items, ask them to order it for you...or change feed stores.
You need about 3-12% protein for it to make any difference. The buckets I think are about 20% or higher.

noway
01-29-2011, 08:49
The problem with Deer, their diet is wide and they eat a lot of everything;

corn
grass
apple
numerous grains
and even bark

You can't just get up and thrown corn or a deer feed-supplement and seriously think your doing good.

It's also typically frown upon to feed deer on a regular basis. One being they beging to loose their natural habit of foraging, and begin to rely on you or loose some of their fear.

Also feeding deer brings up other concerns, what else is attracted to you feed ( predators, dogs, other carries of dieases animals...or worst , an increase chances of getting hit enroute to your feeding ground,via a car. )

Next, your best bet is to leave them alone.

Deer have been doing quite fine without human intervention for hundreds of years. I don't think you can make then any better than what they are currently at. Let them be and more importantly, "let nature take it's course" rather it be good or bad on the deer. You can't fix or correct mother nature.

paidfor
01-29-2011, 09:31
here in Texas we feed deer all year long at our deer lease. It is way out in the country. At my house I also feed them just to watch them. I live out on the edge of town with very few houses around.

There are some who live in town and feed them and then they complain the deer are eating their trees, shrubs, etc. WELL STOP FEEDING THEM.

If you live in town or around a lot of houses, I would not recommend feeding them unless you like them to be living under your feet.

ctaggart
01-29-2011, 17:15
Pretty much just looking for a good suggestion on a feed mixture here to supplement their diet. This isn't a caged deer farm where all they're going to eat is what I provide. They'll still forage. I would just like to provide a resource for additional nutrients and protein for fetal developement and antler growth.

GeorgiaGlockMan
01-29-2011, 20:09
A soybean and corn mix would up the protein a bit.

After years of thinking that pumping out a little corn in feeders would help I quit kidding myself. I think the best thing you can do for the deer is to give them a safe zone and plant food plots while supplementing their natural foods with a good fertilizer.

ctaggart
01-29-2011, 21:24
A soybean and corn mix would up the protein a bit.

After years of thinking that pumping out a little corn in feeders would help I quit kidding myself. I think the best thing you can do for the deer is to give them a safe zone and plant food plots while supplementing their natural foods with a good fertilizer.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Food plots are the next step. I am getting lots of pics with the feeders though. 1600 in 4 days, actually.

GeorgiaGlockMan
01-29-2011, 23:23
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Food plots are the next step. I am getting lots of pics with the feeders though. 1600 in 4 days, actually.

I have 3 big feeders that I still run for pics very part time - they are great for that and it is fun in moderation. I am just saying I quit pumping probably thousands over the years into sling feeders hoping that it would help me grow bigger bucks. I run them just before and after the season to see what it there and maybe spend $100 a year on corn now. I wish I had all that wasted money and effort on corn and filling feeders to the brim deep in the woods and could spend it on a new heavy duty disc harrow or a grain drill.

Good Luck!