Anyone else have a 457? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a 457?

righteoushoot
01-29-2011, 07:55
Picked one up the other day, excellent condition. What can you tell me about their reputation. I think it's a 1996 production if I read the code right on the box.

Any advice as far as ammo or upgrades? Any particular issues I should be aware of? The only HP ammo I had with me was Federal HST 230 +P HP and it did not seem to like those. It ate all the various FMJ's that I had though.

I think I just want to go with standard pressure rounds, so any suggestions? Not that the HST's were uncontrollable, I use them in my G30, but I see no need in this particular firearm to have the extra recoil.

I am assuming the feed issue was bullet profile related. The ramp is definitely not polished, but looks like it is chromed? Is that standard?
:wavey:

bmoore
01-31-2011, 19:21
Had one for a while and sold it. Did not care for its accuracy, it was pretty horrible. That being said, it ate everything i ever fed and never malfunctioned. It came with the rear sight not seated all the way and had to be sent back to smith. Just didnt care for how it shot. I think it is one of the most compact/slim .45's on the market.

righteoushoot
02-01-2011, 14:49
Sorry to hear about the accuracy. I will not insult you by asking if it could have been user induced...:whistling: Or, ammo related.

Accuracy is not an issue with mine. I am on a quest to find a solid, reliable, and available HP for CCW. Got some Hornady TAP 200 +p, Winchester Ranger 230, and some Remington GS 185 +p, and some Hornady Critter Defense 185 to try out.

I would like to stay with 230 gr though. Anyone else feel like you might as well go with the 230 if you bother with the 45??? Otherwise, why not the .40 instead. :dunno:

stumpjumper
02-08-2011, 07:25
When I had mine-wish I still did-it shot great with 185gr bullets.

G33
02-08-2011, 07:51
This was a value series gun.
Have the two-tone and all blue.
Light weight for a Smith and fairly compact.
Never a problem to qualify with.
No problems.
Great feel with Hogues.

righteoushoot
02-08-2011, 18:45
This was a value series gun.
Have the two-tone and all blue.
Light weight for a Smith and fairly compact.
Never a problem to qualify with.
No problems.
Great feel with Hogues.

I like your body, I mean frame. :whistling:

I think I have 1 mag with a weak spring, going to order some more springs. Can I ask if all your mags have the Metal Buttplate catch assembly (the metal do-hickey between the baseplate and mag spring)? I have 2 with metal and 2 with plastic., the springs are different though.

Also, on the pics I have seen of the Hogue's, the retention pin seems to be in a different location than on the standard grips. What gives? :dunno:

And mine seems to be extra accurate with the Hornady TAP 200 +P's. Not sure if a steady diet of +P is good for it though.

carbuncle
02-08-2011, 22:17
I just saw one of these today for $450, I'm considering picking it up as a project gun. The one I saw was pretty rough, but a trip to S&W for a cleanup and action job and a refinish might make it into a .45 carry gun.

righteoushoot
02-09-2011, 15:39
I just saw one of these today for $450, I'm considering picking it up as a project gun. The one I saw was pretty rough, but a trip to S&W for a cleanup and action job and a refinish might make it into a .45 carry gun.

Saw another one yesterday for $435 with only 1 mag. Sometimes it's hard to tell condition when the slob who traded it did not clean it before trading it. Was in pretty good condition, but filthy. Could have talked them down I think.

Personally, I would rather put the extra scratch into a 4516-2 than into a refinish job, as much as I like the 457. Although you could feel like a real Hero walking through Wally World with duelin' Fo Fiddy Sebens. :supergrin:

SouthpawShootr
02-13-2011, 08:14
I bought mine NIB, must have been 10 years ago. Never had a problem reliability-wise. It regularly outshot my dad's much more expensive 4516-1. Accuracy was at least better than average and occasionally outstanding. I ended up putting Hogue rubber grips on it b/c the factory grips, while adding to concealability, were way, way to narrow for me. Flat black finish has held up well, it was daily carry for about 2 years. I wish I could find a good source for night sights. PT night sights were the only ones available for mine when I got it. BTW, never trust a police armorer to put night sights on a gun. :shocked::faint:

bac1023
02-22-2011, 21:41
:needspics:

righteoushoot
02-24-2011, 07:56
Sorry, Pics not working for me. Will try later for you.

righteoushoot
02-24-2011, 10:22
Here ya go bac, since I have seen 1 or 2 or yours.

I left it in the safe, and when I came back, there were 2. :rofl: Must have been preg'nate.

Waiting for the recoil set up for the 457 from the good people at S&W. Wolf spring's came, and in the Mags (clips to those gun show people). New mags seemed to work fine, so maybe issue with +p was spring related.

Then it's off to the range for more "Research". Racing stripes (idiot marks) not by me.

Trigger play spring on the 4516-1 was busted, but got it for a good price. My understanding is that it is not critical to performance. S&W was kind enough to send a new one for free, just waiting.

PlasticGuy
02-25-2011, 04:36
I carried a 457 for while when I was going to college. It was a very nice pistol. Reliability was perfect, accuracy was good, and it was easy to conceal. I can't remember what I traded it for, but I shouldn't have. I liked that pistol.