effective slug range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : effective slug range

yamen1999
01-30-2011, 02:55
I have a Mossberg 500 12ga 18" barrel. If I use slugs with the smooth bore barrel what is my effective range? If I use a rifled barrel what is my effective range? If I use a rifled barrel am I limited to sabot slugs only or can I use plan slugs also?

MrMurphy
01-30-2011, 08:44
All depends on the sights and the brand of slugs (like anything some shoot better than others).

With ghost ring sights my Benelli Nova SP 18", shot from the prone, could easily do body hits on a man silhouette center mass at 100m and head shots at that distance on demand.

noway
01-30-2011, 10:13
Too many factors on how some one can judge your "effective" range. Sights, trigger, scopes, ammo and barrel length alls comes into play. So you have to buy brand A-Z and try various combos out.

For example, my hasting 24" cantilever bbl ( 870 superexpress) can drop 3" remington sabot/slugs out to 100yrds from a table top into a 6" circle 9 out of 10 times. It does the same with Brenneke original magnum slugs ( 2 3/4" ) out to 100yards. Most of the other slugs and sabots/slugs give me unpredictable results.

BTW: My setup is topped with a 4x scope.

M&P slugs out of my SB benelli M1 Field does about 50yrds from the table if I push it maybe 75yrds and with luck. ( vented-ribbed barrels are not very accurate for sighthing unless you add a rear sight mechanism to the rib )

On SB vrs rfiled, vrs rifled-chokes, only advice I have to offer;

1: rifle slugs seems to work best in SB

2: don't use sabot out of a SB

3: I have not seen any advantage over rifled choke vrs rifled bbl for standard slugs

4: foster slugs seems to be more impacted by bore rifling than a brenneke style slug

5:remington buck hammers, don't like my rifling in my hasting for whatever the reason

6:is you use a SB, try to use the least restrictive choke ( i.c or cyl )

7:if you use a choked SB, ensure your choke is screwed in tight

And lastly, Ballistic on a slug are horrible. Some have shot over 200yards with kills ( search GT hunt forum for recent post ) but for the most part, a slug has a trajectory of that of a serious rainbow. If you want accuracy and have the need for 100+ yards kill, get a rifle :wavey:

yamen1999
01-30-2011, 11:31
I am looking at shots at 100 yrds max and I am planing on putting front and rear sights on the SG for slug use.

mac66
01-30-2011, 11:41
I've killed several deer at over 100 yards, longest was about 130 yards. I would consider 150 at the very outside for standard slugs.

volsbear
01-30-2011, 11:42
Buy some different brand slugs, go to the range, figure it out.

Sorry - but this is dependent upon your specific firearm, sights, barrel, and your skills.

MacG22
01-30-2011, 12:02
Wow. The first six posts in this thread really hit the topic right on.

The message I would deliver to every shotgun owner if I could is that you must check YOUR LOAD (including specific load within the brand) out of YOUR GUN. I've seen two Mossbergs, identical models, shoot two very different patterns with the same load.

With slugs, the big ideas behind what you need to know were hit well by Murphy and Noway.

Big Bird
01-31-2011, 21:23
With Ghost ring sights from the sitting or prone position I can take 1 ounce winchester of Remington rifled slugs ( the cheap kind) and hit a pepper popper target at 125 yards with boring regularity.

They do this drill at Gunsite during the API 250 shotgun course and there are few guns eqipped with good ghost ring sights that cannot accomplish this task.

zrace
02-01-2011, 00:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTyCcip-ks

:-)

Hedo1
02-01-2011, 06:31
I agree with most of the posters so far.

Rifled slugs will work fine in a smooth bore. Sabot slugs are a waste of money in a smooth bore. Sabot slugs are very accurate in a rifled barrel shotgun.

I have a Mossberg with 18.5" barrel. It will group slugs into a 6-8" group at 100 Y with the ghost ring sights I have. I also have a Mossberg 500 with a 24" rifled barrel and a 2-7X scope on top. It will group 3" groups at 100Y and will hit the chest cavity of a deer target at 150Y no problem. I have it sighted at 100Y. The best load in that gun is the Winchester Dual Bond Sabot slugs, 375 grs. at 1800 fps. As others mentioned the trajectory is a big arc. Dual Bonds drop 15" at 200Y for a 100 Y sighted in weapon. Regular slugs even more.

I can tell you that I have taken at 5 deer over the last two years with the Winchester Sabot load above, including one monster buck. None of them have taken more then 1 step after being hit. All chest shots either from the front of quartering shots. I can't say that about shots on deer with either my .308 or 300 Savage. Very effective load for hunting and I would imagine HD.

Effective range should be 100Y for most shooters. 150Y is you are more familiar with the gun and load.

David Armstrong
02-01-2011, 13:34
Your effective range is just that, YOUR effective range. Your gun, load, skills, etc. all come into play. I can consistently hit an IDPA target at 100 yards with an 18" barrel and a bead sight. Others might be restricted to 50 yards, or 150 yards. Practice and find your skill level with your equipment.

ScrappyDoo
02-01-2011, 14:15
I'm about 5'8" 140-150 (when I've been pakcing on the pasta, donuts, formerly booze, etc) and 12 gauge really kicks my ass. Slugs especially, I'm sure I could hit barn but I worry about being able to hit a vehicle at 100-200 yds in a SHTF situation. But I said also before, the LimbSaver changed all.

Aceman
02-01-2011, 17:16
At 125 yards a Federal Powershok rifled slug has:
+1000 fps velocity
+1300 ftlb energy
- 4" drop

Maybe -4" per 20 yards after that. Speed/energy-wise, it's pretty sporty. Accuracy, out 140-180 maybe. Again, depending on skill...no idea what gun that is from.

B Coyote
02-02-2011, 03:24
Your effective range is just that, YOUR effective range. Your gun, load, skills, etc. all come into play.
>>This.

I can consistently hit an IDPA target at 100 yards with an 18" barrel and a bead sight. Others might be restricted to 50 yards, or 150 yards.
>>David you are the exception rather than the rule. I'm a less-than-average shot with bead sights since I have so little time behind them. Buckshot out to 20 or so yards or slugs to about 40 is what I would consider an average limitation. These numbers come from the last time we had a range day we had for my department and the shotguns were broken out. Most officers (and I'm sure the same can be said for the non-LEO types) simply do not practice with their shotguns the way they should and do not know their equipment as well as they think. JMHO, of course.

Practice and find your skill level with your equipment.
>>Again, this.

Let's make a broad, generalized statement:
If you are unfamiliar with or untrained on the specific gun you find yourself holding, limit yourself to inside of 75 or 80 yards MAX with slugs with a rifle or ghost ring sighted gun. With a bead sighted gun, consider dropping that number down to 40 or 50 yards. Training and practice will raise these numbers considerably.

While most of the respondents to this thread are shotgun people, many lurkers may not be. Let's think in realistic terms, rather than expert.

bc

mac66
02-02-2011, 12:37
Speaking of effective range of slugs, I saw my (at that time) 75 year old father kill a running doe quartering away in thick woods, while it was snowing with a Winchester 1300, bead sight 26" bbl, one shot slug at a paced out 85 yards. Hit her in the back of the head. BTW he is right handed, blind in his right eye so was shooting left handed.

Beware old guys who grew up hunting on a farm.

Hedo1
02-03-2011, 16:32
Speaking of effective range of slugs, I saw my (at that time) 75 year old father kill a running doe quartering away in thick woods, while it was snowing with a Winchester 1300, bead sight 26" bbl, one shot slug at a paced out 85 yards. Hit her in the back of the head. BTW he is right handed, blind in his right eye so was shooting left handed.

Beware old guys who grew up hunting on a farm.

Heck yeah. Guys who grew up hunting to put food on the table tend to do it real well and with minimal amounts of ammunition.

David Armstrong
02-03-2011, 16:57
from B Coyote:
>>David you are the exception rather than the rule. I'm a less-than-average shot with bead sights since I have so little time behind them. Buckshot out to 20 or so yards or slugs to about 40 is what I would consider an average limitation.
Agreed. Sorry if that wasn't clear, but certainly yes...your effective range is your effective range, and has nothing to do with my effective range or anybody else's. In fact, when I was teaching "fighting shotgun" that was about what I tended to suggest students should work for---proper controlled placement of buck at 20 and slugs at 50 yards. 100 yards is not difficult, but it does require some dedicated training and/or practice.

B Coyote
02-03-2011, 22:41
I figured we were mostly on the same page....but you know how it goes. Jimmy Wannabe reads that YOU can do it, so he figures HE can do it. When he can't he comes here and blames the gun for his lack of proficiency.

bc

David Armstrong
02-04-2011, 14:27
I figured we were mostly on the same page....but you know how it goes. Jimmy Wannabe reads that YOU can do it, so he figures HE can do it. When he can't he comes here and blames the gun for his lack of proficiency.

bc
Wait a minute! You mean I can blame it on the gun instead of the fact that I'm getting fatter, practicing less, my eyes are going bad, arthritis, and so on? Wow, thanks!:wavey::supergrin:

B Coyote
02-04-2011, 22:34
Wait a minute! You mean I can blame it on the gun instead of the fact that I'm getting fatter, practicing less, my eyes are going bad, arthritis, and so on? Wow, thanks!:wavey::supergrin:

Sure. That's what the netninja's do....why can't we?

bc

powder86
02-05-2011, 19:57
I've killed several deer at over 100 yards, longest was about 130 yards. I would consider 150 at the very outside for standard slugs.

this sounds about right. though you CAN hit stuff consistently over 200 yards with a regular ol smoothbore, it still won't have the precision you'd really want (as in you'd hit the deer, but prolly not double lung shot, and prolly just wound the thing). at those ranges (150+) it's definitely not option #1.

but i am no expert... this is just from experiences i've witnessed with other more experienced shooters than myself. just my 2 cents.

A6Gator
02-07-2011, 13:25
Your effective range is just that, YOUR effective range. Your gun, load, skills, etc. all come into play. I can consistently hit an IDPA target at 100 yards with an 18" barrel and a bead sight. Others might be restricted to 50 yards, or 150 yards. Practice and find your skill level with your equipment.

You're right. In the 3 gun matches I've been in, 100yds is about the ragged edge of trying to put, even reduced recoil slugs, rounds consistently into an A zone (and I'm not talking the occular cavity either). 75yds is pretty doable, but like you said, you've really gotta have YOUR load dialed into YOUR gun. Shooting an SX2 Practical w/a modified choke (it was a slug/birdshot stage), slugs that were nuts on at 25yds, were about 6" high at 75yds.

Jakemug
02-12-2011, 00:47
Here he is again with a 590A1, 20" barrel, and NO sights! Just a bead. 1 oz slugs and a lot of them. Not sure of distance, around 100 yards is my guess.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45?feature=chclk#p/u/5/zmdMNwSxEcs

beatcop
02-12-2011, 08:12
I qual every year with a 590/rifle sights, 50 yards with reduced recoil tactical slugs sends them into a "chest" from a standing position. Nothing spectacular, I'm sure I could tighten it up from a bench, but there's a baseline.

Frog1
02-12-2011, 19:57
I knew a poor guy once who only owned a Braziliam made single shot 12 Ga he bought at Walmart. I had one too. Shoots pretty good for $59.00. He was an avid hunter who supplemented his food supply and sold pelts when he could kill one.

He killed everything that walks or crawls in Kansas. Deer at 100 yds with Wal mart purchased slugs. Bobcats, coyotes, and many bird species. Effective range is relative to effective skills and use.

ScrappyDoo
02-12-2011, 21:13
Can we all just plz agree that when you shoot at an engine with a slug from your shotgun , it explodes the engine and also makes steam smoke and soot spew from the now-smokechecked car and instantly stops the vEhicle dead in its tracks ; and simultaneously rendering safe the formerly badguy occupants ?? Can we please Black Hawk Down - style agree on this ?