Question Re: 870 Mag. Extension [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question Re: 870 Mag. Extension

chuck pullen
01-30-2011, 15:32
I recently bought an 18 inch barrel for my 870 Wingmaster and am considering a magazine extension. I will probably get the Remington brand one. My question is which extension fits flush with the end of the 18 in. barrel ? The 2 round extension ? Thanks.

UPDATE:
This is an 18.5 inch barrel. I misspoke. I went ahead and ordered a 2 round Scattergun Technologies magazine extension for two reasons 1) I could not find
the Remington extension I wanted for less than $20 more than the Wilson/Scattergun and 2) I've heard good things about the Scattergun extensions.

Thanks again,
Chuck

swinokur
01-30-2011, 15:33
I recently bought an 18 inch barrel for my 870 Wingmaster and am considering a magazine extension. I will probably get the Remington brand one. My question is which extension fits flush with the end of the 18 in. barrel ? The 2 round extension ? Thanks.

yup. sits flush with the end

denn1911
01-30-2011, 16:08
Yes- flush.

chuck pullen
01-30-2011, 16:41
Thanks guys.

aippi
01-30-2011, 17:02
Sorry but no. the Remington 2 shot extension will not end flush with the 18" barrel it wil extend 1/2" past it. If your barrel is 18.5" the 2 shot Remington extension will end flush. New Remington barrels come in 18.5" not 18. There are plenty of 18" ones still out there and even being sold as new, old stock. You said you got an 18" so I am correctly answering your question.

Bill G
01-30-2011, 18:07
I suggest the Wilson Combat 2 shot ext over the Remington one. Better quality over all and no clamp is needed on the barrel. It will also be flush or a little less.

Take Care,:supergrin:
Bill G

chuck pullen
01-31-2011, 15:13
Update in original post.

cancov
02-01-2011, 12:03
I thinking of a build, but something longer than 18.5". It will be a Rem 870 of course, but perhaps 26" or 28". In regards to mag extensions, what length would be left between the mag and the barrel on a:

7 Round mag with 26" barrel
8 Round mag with 26" barrel

7 Round mag with 28" barrel
8 Round mag with 28" barrel

gnasty1521
02-01-2011, 18:06
I think Choate makes a 10-shot magazine extension for a 26" barrel, so that with a 28" would leave enough for a rail. But it does beg the question, "Why would you have an extension on a shotgun, which isn't very tactical?" To each their own, but 22" and above barrels are widely known as hunting barrels, and I am pretty sure the Wardens wouldn't be happy to find you with 7 or 8 rounds in the gun while hunting.

Additionally, and this is based on the limited information on the use of the gun, a long barrel on a tactical weapon leaves more opportunity for the enemy to grab your weapon, or for him to see it around a corner when you are clearing any rooms. I hate to sound like a mall ninja, but there is always a 'what if'. What are you trying to do and there will be much more specific information we can give you...

dalglockr
02-02-2011, 03:33
I have a 20" rifle sighted barrel on my wingmaster. I had heard a +3 mag extension would be flush on this, after reading this thread it looks as if it may stick out a bit. Anyone with magtube extension experience on a 20" barrel?

dalglockr
02-03-2011, 08:58
Talked to Remington today, they said the +3 was made to fit the 20" barrel, & may be about 1/4" shorter. A little pricey for the kit, but they said all parts are matching blued steel. I spoke to another vendor that said they stick out about a half inch past the barrel, & come with some black pieces. Not sure if there are different factory +3 blued extensions, but as the walnut furniture is nice, this is the only other mod I'll be doing to this gun, I wanted to have the tube as close to flush as possible.

aippi
02-03-2011, 13:54
The cubical clown at Remington told you wrong. The 3 rd extension would extend a full 1/2" past the barrel. Also, the mag tube coupling and the barrel bracket are a matte black finish not blue as you were told. They don't make those two parts in blued finish. The Tube would be blued but is not going to be the deep blued finish of your barrel or receiver. I have just told you the facts regardless of what Remington or anyone else has told you as I have installed dozens of the 3 rd tubes customers rebuilds and I am a Remington parts dealer and know the Remington parts list and parts for the shotguns as well as anyone who is going to answer the telephone there. I am often amazed at the things they tell customers. In their defense, they have to know the entire line of Remington parts and now H&R, I only need to know the 870 and 11-87 Parts.

dalglockr
02-04-2011, 01:19
Thanks for the reply aippi. If the blued extension will not match my receiver and barrel, as you mentioned, what would you recommend I put on my wingmaster?

swinokur
02-04-2011, 04:06
Thanks for the reply aippi. If the blued extension will not match my receiver and barrel, as you mentioned, what would you recommend I put on my wingmaster?

I have the blued +2 extension on my 870 Express and to me the difference in the color is not noticeable, at least to me. It's one of those situations where the only person who knows it's different is you

My ,02

Nutt51
02-04-2011, 11:13
I got this exact extension for my 870, but without the
sling bracket, just the tube.
It is solid as is and does not need to be clamped to the
barrel. Good luck.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extension-Tube-2-Shot-12-Gauge/productinfo/SGET-U-2/

DFin
02-04-2011, 14:45
I have a 3 shot extension from Tanks Rifle Shop on my 20 inch barrel 870 w/rifle sights. It does not extend past the end of the muzzle. I bought it back in the late 80's.