Drop durability [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Drop durability

mod17
01-30-2011, 20:15
I would like to know about the durability of the sear nose and hammer hooks on the 1911 auto in regards to being dropped on a hard surface I know that there are variables to this question and I do not go around dropping my gun just to find out can anyone help me with this question? I have a preference for tool bar steel components, the reason I am asking is because under real world conditions sometimes these things can happen I also know that we just don"t drop our guns this is a serious mistake could someone offer me some feedback Thanks

Quack
01-30-2011, 20:17
Drake Oldham did some drop tests and posted his findings on the 10-8 Forum.

Quack
01-30-2011, 20:19
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92823#Post92823

mod17
01-30-2011, 20:22
Thankyou for your response I will try to find this 10 8 post this is my first time on glock talk

CAcop
01-30-2011, 20:28
Also keep in mind CA requires that new new guns must be tested before they can be sold in CA. There are three tests and each must be done three times. The first is dropping the gun muzzle first. The second is muzzle up. These are done from 5 feet. Then they do the frisbee test where they throw the gun from a hieght of 3 feet to a distanc of 15 feet. This is done with the barrel parallel to the ground. Both sides are tested. The guns are loaded with a primed case and the safeties off. If it fires it cannot be sold. All kinds of 1911s are on the list. Those that aren't most likely were not submitted for testing.

mod17
01-30-2011, 20:34
Thankyou once again I read the 10 8 post and it sounds to me from what I read sear nose damage and maybe hammer hook damage can very easily take place he did not speak of this but did mention pistol going to halfcock happened as a result of being dropped more than likely there was sear nose damage do you agree also?

mod17
01-30-2011, 20:39
What you described to me sounds like the FBI test that was performed on springfields HRT pistol a few years back once again they did not go into damage or possible damage to fire control components have you heard of any?