Kimber or Springfield [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber or Springfield

FLSlim
01-30-2011, 19:44
I've now got the 1911, 45 cal. bug (there is always some bug it seems!). My only 1911 is a Colt DE, but for price reasons (I want to stay around $650-750) I've been eying a Springfield Mil Spec or a Kimber Custom II. Any pro or con thoughts, especially from any of you who have owned both??? Thanks for anything you might offer.

Quack
01-30-2011, 20:04
Range Officer

volsbear
01-30-2011, 20:06
Range Officer

I'll second that - especially for the price point.

rsxr22
01-30-2011, 20:08
I know im throwing a curveball, but i would pass on both. The STI Spartan and Desert Eagle1911 are much better offerings in the price point imo. Ive had Kimbers and Springers, not either of these models, and from my experience i think SA builds a better gun than Kimber in general. Some will disagree, and a lot will agree. However, The Custom II is probably a better gun out of the box then the Mil Spec

rsxr22
01-30-2011, 20:12
I agree about the RO. I would still take the Spartan over it, but definitely the RO before the DE1911, Kimber, or Mil Spec.

Ruggles
01-30-2011, 20:15
Kimber Custom II is my vote. Lots of good choices but I think it is a great base 1911.

FLIPPER 348
01-30-2011, 20:25
the one made in USA

AZ Husker
01-30-2011, 20:38
amen. American made Kimber.

brisk21
01-30-2011, 21:02
I've now got the 1911, 45 cal. bug (there is always some bug it seems!). My only 1911 is a Colt DE, but for price reasons (I want to stay around $650-750) I've been eying a Springfield Mil Spec or a Kimber Custom II. Any pro or con thoughts, especially from any of you who have owned both??? Thanks for anything you might offer.

Well one is a GI type gun and one is an enhanced type gun. Which type are you looking for?

Hokie1911
01-30-2011, 21:11
Springfield Mil-Spec
DE 1911G
STI Spartan
Springfield RO

All GREAT choices in that price range. Personally, I'd go with the Mil-Spec or RO as both are great out of the box and would be really good baseguns for some down the road upgrading. SA has a fantastic custom shop, great customer service, and warranty.

finz50
01-30-2011, 21:20
Springer

Nickpisp
01-30-2011, 21:28
Range Officer for sure unless it's going to be carried. Personally I don't like target sights on a carry gun.

glock2740
01-30-2011, 21:38
Kimber Custom II is my vote. Lots of good choices but I think it is a great base 1911.
I agree.

TKR Reptiles
01-30-2011, 21:43
Custom II

PlasticGuy
01-30-2011, 22:05
I've had good luck with both Kimber and Springfield 1911's. While I'm not a huge fan of the plastic mainspring housings in the Kimbers, I'm not a fan of the key lock in the Springfield mainspring housings either. I replace both.

I will say that I'm much more a fan of the Series I Kimbers than the current ones, where the newer Springfields are a bit better than the older ones in my experience. Personally, I like the Springfield Range Officer suggestion. It seems like a relative bargain.

cole
01-31-2011, 00:28
A NM serial number Springfield because I do not prefer the SII parts in the Kimber. I'd (likely) take the Kimber SII over a non-NM Springfield. But, I'd take a Kimber Series I over pretty much any SA under $1k. In fact, I have. That's my answer. Happy?

Cobra64
01-31-2011, 03:16
Springfield Range Officer gets my vote.

spectre04
01-31-2011, 06:28
As most above have said, go with the range officer. I owned one a month ago and only put 200 rounds through it, but it was about the best shooting 1911 I've had. Sure it lacks some things that it's more expensive brothers have, like Front Cocking Serrations (FCS- I don't like them), front strap checkering (actually a very nice feature on a comp or carry gun, though Wilson Combat makes an checkered aluminum piece that covers some of the front strap and secures under the grips), and an ambi-safety. None of these additions add or detract from it's shooting ability and shouldn't be deciding factors for a 1st 1911. I sold it for two reasons: 1) the sights pretty much void it as a carry gun. I do love target sights, however these bite back during some drills. 2) I don't care for parkerizing; I'm a stainless guy.
If I had been in a position to afford both it and my Kimber stainless pro raptor, I would have in a heartbeat.

samuse
01-31-2011, 06:54
I'd go with the Mil-Spec.

Unless you really like the LPA adjustable sights, I'd pass on the R.O.

If you want a beavertail and better sights, have it added to the Mil-Spec later. Springfield's custom shop does great work.

FLSlim
01-31-2011, 07:25
Thanks for your thoughts GTers! More food for thought. I had mulled over the Springfield RO and for a range gun (I'm happy with my Glocks for carry), it comes nicely equipped but with a little higher price. The ROs seem to be pretty hard to come by--I guess because of its newness.

jrs93accord
01-31-2011, 08:39

I will agree with Ruggles. Of your two choices, the Kimber is the better choice.

faawrenchbndr
01-31-2011, 08:45
Springfield over Kimber.

Agent6-3/8
01-31-2011, 09:35
Both make good guns. Kimber offers a nicer gun for the money, but personally, I've had a much better experience with Springfield.

PhoneCop
01-31-2011, 11:06
Either, both are good to go. I have a Kimber Custom II, runs like a champ.

GeorgiaRedfish
01-31-2011, 11:24
I am went with a Springfield GI: a. because I am broke. b. I want to do a lot of work myself, and the work I don't do myself I want to send it somewhere to do it exactly how I want it. c. I believe it is the best base pistol, no huge billboards on the slide, forged slide/frame. But mostly A

knedrgr
01-31-2011, 11:54
I'd go with the Mil-Spec.

Unless you really like the LPA adjustable sights, I'd pass on the R.O.

If you want a beavertail and better sights, have it added to the Mil-Spec later. Springfield's custom shop does great work.

Humm... :dunno:

SA RO = $750 + Harrison rear sight $90 + labor $30 = $870
SA Park Mil-Spec = $550 + New Novak sights $180 + Beavertail $100 + Refinish $80 = $910 + Shipping to and from SACS.

I'll think I'm going to go with the RO for better fit and finish over the standard N-series Mil-Spec.

samuse
01-31-2011, 14:34
^The difference is that with the Mil-Spec, you'll have it just the way you want it and the fitting will be better.

The R.O.s I looked at weren't fit any better than a Mil-Spec or Loaded and they have the same finish.

If it's all about bein' cheap, buy a Glock. It'll probably run better and look better too. That Harrison rear ain't exactly purty...

polizei1
01-31-2011, 14:52
Yea I'd go with a 10-8. Cheaper too.

Hokie1911
01-31-2011, 15:09
Yea I'd go with a 10-8. Cheaper too.

I don't think Hilton makes a Bomar cut sight for 1911. Think he only does GI, Novak, and a Kimber sights.

Unicron
01-31-2011, 15:14
had a springfield operator and now have a kimber tactical entry 2. I have been recommending springfield over kimber to my buddies because the kimbers don't have stainless barrels...and we are here in the humid south.

Quack
01-31-2011, 15:15
correct, no BoMar replacement from 10-8

Hokie1911
01-31-2011, 15:23
correct, no BoMar replacement from 10-8

Have you asked him about that? On the way you think?

Quack
01-31-2011, 15:25
Haven't asked. Don't think so. If someone wanted fixed sights, they should buy a gun with fixed sights.

NonPCnraRN
02-01-2011, 05:03
My stainless Milspec has everything I wanted except a crisp light trigger. It has "GIish" looks but with the things I wanted like sights I can see, throated and polished chamber, lowered and flared ejectin port. The trigger was horrible at 8 lbs. so SA paid shipping to have it meet spec of 5.5-6 lbs. I wanted 4.0 trigger (low as SA will go with stainless parts). Action job was $80 and resulted in 4.0 lb. trigger that broke like a glass rod. I think an action job is $100. If you buy hardened tool steel sear and hammer SA will go to 3.0 lb trigger. I should have sprung for the parts. But 4.0 lb. is getting lighter as I put more rounds through it. It gobbled up 200 WWB 230 gr and 200 PMC Bronze 230 gr for a total of 400 rounds then 14 rounds of Buffalo Bore 230 gr +P fmj-fp at 950 fps and with the gun filthy I put 6 rounds of Corbon DPX 185 gr through it without a bobble. I only put 6 DPX rounds through the gun because I figured it was filthy enough to test funtion. Plus being a 20 round box I wanted 14 rounds for the two 7 round mags until my Cabelas shipment of 4 boxes arrived. I will send more down range 2 mags worth with each range visit. I will again make sure the gun is dirty to test the Corbon DPX. I figure if it works in a filthy gun it should work in a clean gun. Some guys with S&W 45 M&Ps shot my 1911 and their faces had big smiles. I think SA made some converts. I was honest and told them it had a trigger job. They were both impressed enough to say they were going to get one.

Ryobi
02-01-2011, 08:18
Springfield range officer or loaded. Either is a good gun.

TSAX
02-01-2011, 19:49
Kimber Custom II would be my choice.

bac1023
02-01-2011, 21:40

I like the Custom II quite a bit.

Ascout
02-03-2011, 04:43
Kimber CDP Ultra II. I've been delighted...functioned flawlessly from new with 9 of 10 different types of ammo (didn't like Mag-Tech) to include commercial HP and my own reloads. Never had a 1911 that was so un-fastidious about ammo...and shot so well for it's barrel length (it's a 3"). 25 oz.

I will never let this gun out of my possession. Period.

PhoneCop
02-03-2011, 06:27
I like the Custom II quite a bit.

I can second this as another Custom II owner.

MD357
02-03-2011, 08:31
RO, better gun.... MUCH better company.

AZ Husker
02-03-2011, 15:09
Yep, they bought the name, pretend to be America's true armorer, and build their guns in Brazil.

Nickpisp
02-03-2011, 18:05
I can second this as another Custom II owner.

Unverified.

rsxr22
02-03-2011, 18:43
Yep, they bought the name, pretend to be America's true armorer, and build their guns in Brazil.

What does where they build their guns matter? And isnt the RO made in the US?

Hokie1911
02-03-2011, 18:53
Unverified.

:animlol:

Nickpisp
02-03-2011, 20:21
:animlol:

Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week! :supergrin:

AZ Husker
02-03-2011, 21:17
ALL SA start off in Brazil. The top end guns are assembled here in the US. It may not matter to you, but guns are one of the few commodities left that we can actually choose to have "Made in the USA". It does matter to me.

AZ Husker
02-03-2011, 21:20
What does where they build their guns matter?

ALL SA start off in Brazil. The top end guns are assembled here in the US. It may not matter to you, but guns are one of the few commodities left that we can actually choose to have "Made in the USA". It does matter to me.

glock2740
02-03-2011, 21:28

Obviously it does matter enough that you posted it twice. :tongueout:

:rofl:

AZ Husker
02-04-2011, 11:21
Double tap, it's ingrained in me!

MD357
02-04-2011, 11:34

I thought I read that some "lower end" SA models were made here periodically? Not sure of the ryhme or reason though.

I'll give my money to Springfield 7 ways till Sunday over Kimber. At the very least they keep TRUE Gunsmiths employed. Something that is becoming a lost art in contrast to the lastest supertacticalraptoreclipseswatSIS BS that Kimber puts out. Not to mention their CS is subpar relative to Springfield.

okie
02-04-2011, 11:35
Range Officer

I want one of them also:supergrin:

bac1023
02-04-2011, 18:08
I prefer Kimber under a grand, but Springfield is the best overall.

That said, the new Range Officer improved my image of the entry level Springfields.

rsxr22
02-04-2011, 18:56
I prefer Kimber under a grand, but Springfield is the best overall.

That said, the new Range Officer improved my image of the entry level Springfields.

Honestly short of finish, My $600 STI is probably a better gun than anything Ive ever owned from Kimber.

The problem is when you feel a brand new Kimber and look at a new Kimber, they look purty and well built. Then when you shoot them... The finish proceeds to flake off, they get all loose like Britney Spears when she turned 18, and then when you need their CS, Its your fault that you broke their top notch pistol

Nickpisp
02-04-2011, 19:33
Honestly short of finish, My $600 STI is probably a better gun than anything Ive ever owned from Kimber.

The problem is when you feel a brand new Kimber and look at a new Kimber, they look purty and well built. Then when you shoot them... The finish proceeds to flake off, they get all loose like Britney Spears when she turned 18, and then when you need their CS, Its your fault that you broke their top notch pistol

You must have had a bad one, mine haven't done that at all.

bac1023
02-04-2011, 19:43
My Kimber's finishes have been fine.

The STI Spartan is great, but not as good as my Kimber Custom II overall.

rsxr22
02-04-2011, 19:51
A bad 3! And we see a lot in our shop. Every company puts out a lemon here and there, but there are more cases of having issues with Kimber's than any other 1911 IMO. I understand they produce more guns then anyone else, but that could be part of the problem. They try pushing them out too fast and dont get the attention to detail they deserve. Another reason to the quality control is the quality of parts they use. Im pretty sure like 75% of their product line gets plastic MSH's. I understand why a company like STI used a plastic one on the Spartan( they were trying to save weight for IDPA because they use a FLGR) but Kimber uses them to save money.
The latest one we had to fix Kimber would not help out in anyway. Warranted parts or shipping both ways to fix his pistol. He was CC'ng it and went to drop the kids off at the pool. The gun fell like 3 ft and the MSH shattered into a bunch of pieces, leaf spring, and hammer strut(HOW?? I dont know!) came falling out of the rear of the gun. I understand that this could happen to a lot of companies guns, I think the biggest issue i have with them is the sad excuse that they call CS. If they are indeed the largest company, they should have the most money and be able to send out some of their parts when stuff breaks. I told SA i misplaced parts for my TRP and before i could even ask if they could send them out, he told me they were already being put in an envelope. I dont know why that is soo hard, I figured their company would get back on the right track after firing Cohen, but they havent done a whole lot to change things besides going back to internal extractors.

MajorD
02-05-2011, 08:40
Kimber cost more made in the USA but a spotty reputation for function
Springfield- Lower cost good reputation for function and customer service but not made in the USA
For what it's worth I've bought nothing but Colt and buy them used in the same price range as these with no problems encountered

jstephens202
02-09-2011, 01:43
I have 2 Springfields, both Loaded models. The stainless one (one of the first out) is used for duty as I feel stainless weathers open carry better. The parkerized one I use for off-duty on the theory that it's dark finish will "flash" less if accidentally exposed. Both are set up identical, except for an ambi safety on the parkerized one, with a mix of Wilson and Brown parts. Both shoot very well and I am well pleased with them.:cool:

bac1023
02-09-2011, 06:17
I have 2 Springfields, both Loaded models. The stainless one (one of the first out) is used for duty as I feel stainless weathers open carry better. The parkerized one I use for off-duty on the theory that it's dark finish will "flash" less if accidentally exposed. Both are set up identical, except for an ambi safety on the parkerized one, with a mix of Wilson and Brown parts. Both shoot very well and I am well pleased with them.:cool:

Glad you like the Loaded.

I've never been a fan of those at all. In my opinion, with the Range Officer, Springfield finally has a decent enhanced 1911 under a grand.