Nettop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nettop?

wct097
01-31-2011, 06:52
So I'm having one of these delivered today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119034

http://www.timesoftheinternet.com/briefs/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/barebone.jpg

Going to be replacing an old rackmount server that I've been using as a fileserver. I figure it'll pay for itself in 6 months with electrical savings alone. Going to stick 1gb of RAM in it, along with a 320gb hard drive, and install Ubuntu 10.10 Server.

I like that it looks like a router.

IndyGunFreak
01-31-2011, 08:29
Interesting... Obviously extremely new though... I wouldn't get super excited about Ubuntu recognizing all the hardware. Unfortunately when manufacturers don't release Linux drivers, it often takes time for Linux to recognize some newer devices...

IGF

wct097
01-31-2011, 08:32
Interesting... Obviously extremely new though... I wouldn't get super excited about Ubuntu recognizing all the hardware. Unfortunately when manufacturers don't release Linux drivers, it often takes time for Linux to recognize some newer devices...

IGF

One of the reviews @ Newegg stated that he had Ubuntu up & running. Not terribly concerned with drivers though.... as long as it can do the basics. It's going to be a fileserver, so I don't really mind if the audio & video aren't up to date.

IndyGunFreak
01-31-2011, 17:24
One of the reviews @ Newegg stated that he had Ubuntu up & running. Not terribly concerned with drivers though.... as long as it can do the basics. It's going to be a fileserver, so I don't really mind if the audio & video aren't up to date.

If you just want a headless filesever, FreeNas might be better for that... It's pretty awesome.

IGF

CitizenOfDreams
01-31-2011, 18:18
I figure it'll pay for itself in 6 months with electrical savings alone.

No way, unless electricity is outrageously expensive in your place. My big old home computer (1.8GHz Opteron, 3 hard drives, 28" monitor) will run 24/7 for 10 months to burn the money that thing costs ($170).

wct097
02-01-2011, 08:08
Slick little computer. Have it up and running now. Ubuntu 10.10 server installed rather easily.

If you just want a headless filesever, FreeNas might be better for that... It's pretty awesome.

IGF

Need a bit more than NAS. Use rsync to backup my files over SSH. I also like to tunnel into my home network using SSH. A small Linux server works pretty well for me.

No way, unless electricity is outrageously expensive in your place. My big old home computer (1.8GHz Opteron, 3 hard drives, 28" monitor) will run 24/7 for 10 months to burn the money that thing costs ($170).

...so you're comparing the electricity used by an old 1.8ghz desktop to a 2U rackmount server with dual power supplies running dual Xeon processors and a 5 disk 10krpm SCSI RAID array?

I admit, 6 months may be a bit optimistic, but the new computer will be using approximately 1/16 of the power that the 2650 is using.

CitizenOfDreams
02-01-2011, 08:18
...so you're comparing the electricity used by an old 1.8ghz desktop to a 2U rackmount server with dual power supplies running dual Xeon processors and a 5 disk 10krpm SCSI RAID array?

Eek. I could not imagine anyone running such a monstrosity at home. :shocked:

wct097
02-01-2011, 09:49
Eek. I could not imagine anyone running such a monstrosity at home. :shocked:

Yea... I got it for free from my employer when it was decommissioned. I thought, at the time, that it would be fun to play with. I'm relatively certain that it made my power bill go up by $25-35 a month.

gemeinschaft
02-01-2011, 20:04
Yea... I got it for free from my employer when it was decommissioned. I thought, at the time, that it would be fun to play with. I'm relatively certain that it made my power bill go up by $25-35 a month.

Not to mention the noise pollution. :rofl::rofl:

wct097
02-02-2011, 06:12
Not to mention the noise pollution. :rofl::rofl:

The wife was not impressed when I fired them up (got two) the first day. Ended up putting them in the garage.