Recoil pads and Side Saddle shell holders for Rem 870 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recoil pads and Side Saddle shell holders for Rem 870

Big A
01-31-2011, 13:39
Hello all,

I have a Remington 870 Police magnum with the wood furniture that I am debating on adding some mods to.

First off it needs a recoil pad but I am wondering which to go with, either the Limb Saver or thr Rem Super Cell so I'd like to hear some opinions on which y'all prefer.

Second, I'm debating on a side saddle. I like the clean look but having some extra shells close by would be handy and I'm used to having them on my Mossberg 500. I would buy the Mesa Tactical as I am impressed with the one on my Mossy. However, I can't decide on the 6 or 8 round holder so opinions here would also be welcome.

Lastly, I am also debating between putting an XS Big Dot front sight on my pedestal bead or getting a rifle sighted barrel and puting a set of XS rifle sights on it...

Thanks in advance to all who reply :wavey:

mainegunner
01-31-2011, 17:50
Hello Big A

I just ordered the same shotgun with the wood stock and I am wondering what it came with for a recoil pad myself. I have a mesa side saddle which holds 6 rounds on my remington tactical express which I like. I was hoping the 870p would come with the R3 limbsaver pad. I just ordered a wilson combat +2 extension for the 870p and the jumbo head safety. I might keep this one lean and mean.

byf43
01-31-2011, 19:47
I'm not certain, but, I THINK that the Limbsaver and the Remington Super Cell are the same recoil pad. (I know that the R3 pad is a Limbsaver.)
I can say from experience that the Limbsaver pad works as advertised.

Sidesaddle -
I would suggest the 6 shell holder.

As for beads -
I can't comment on any, due to the fact that all of my shotguns (except my 1100 Competition Master 'clone') have factory front beads.

Big Bird
01-31-2011, 21:17
I prefer the 4 round side saddle for the simple fact that I think the 6 round interferes with carrying the gun at the balance point (where the receiver meets the magazine tube).

That still gives me 7 in the tube plus one in the chamber and 4 in the side saddle for a total of 12 rounds on the gun. If I'm carrying 00 Buck that's 108 projectiles. If I'm carrying 0000 Buck its 314 projectiles! Either way its a lot of lead slinging...

Big A
02-02-2011, 20:37
Bump :bump:

TreeTrooper
02-03-2011, 20:54
My 870 Police wears a 8-round Mesa Tactical carrier, as I found out it handles just fine and I can't have too much ammo in a gunfight. I also have the reduced LOP stock with the Remington pad (works great). The shotgun is a Police 2 model from AI&P Tactical.

wtf0ver
02-04-2011, 19:33
heres another option for side saddles. these are made to velcro on the side of your reciever, so no internal parts to break or jam up your gun. you can buy several of these and have them ready to go. best of all its cheaper than the other side saddle options.

http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac_Shotgun_Card_p/ess.106.htm
http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/7-Shell-Side-Saddle-p24.html

byf43
02-04-2011, 20:45
heres another option for side saddles. these are made to velcro on the side of your reciever, so no internal parts to break or jam up your gun. you can buy several of these and have them ready to go. best of all its cheaper than the other side saddle options.

http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac_Shotgun_Card_p/ess.106.htm
http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/7-Shell-Side-Saddle-p24.html

That velcro sidesaddle looks like the 'kit' that came from Remington when I built up my "1100 Competition Master Clone".
I didn't use it, though. I just couldn't attach VELCRO to my 1100!:whistling:

Fed Five Oh
02-08-2011, 19:09
The Limb Saver and the Remington Super Cell are not the same pad.

The Limb Saver and the Remington R3 are the same pad, both made by Limb Saver.

The Limb Saver/R3 reduces felt recoil more than the Super Cell. I have both. I have shot both. The Super Cell is sitting on a shelf somewhere, not on any of my shotguns.

05DodgeDakota
02-09-2011, 04:00
I was looking and can't find the R3 pad for sale or even on remington's website. I was about to drop the money on the supercell but would prefer the R3. Anyone got a link to it?

Big A
02-09-2011, 08:51
Thanks for the replys fellas

Looks like I'll be getting the Limbsaver, 6 shot side saddle, big head safety and XS front sight.