HDTV as a Monitor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV as a Monitor

Hef
01-31-2011, 15:54
I have a Dell PC running Windows XP. It has the Intel 82915G/GV/910GL chipset. I have it hooked up via VGA to a Sony KDF-E50A10 50" TV. The picture is grainy due to the resolution being at a much lower setting.

I want to correct the resolution to 3298x1856. I got these numbers by converting the 50" screen size at 16:9 aspect ratio to LxW in pixels. I tried using REGEDIT to correct the X & Y resolution values and rebooting, but no luck. I have not yet confirmed it but I have my doubts that the integrated video chipset can support resolution values that high.

I have a feeling I need to buy a video card that supports large screens, but I figure it can't hurt to ask around for other opinions before I make that move.

Any thoughts?

Pierre!
01-31-2011, 20:59
Hello Hef,

You will only be able to match the specs of the monitor - the preferred display resolution.

You can 'wanna' have it at 3298x1856, but if the display only goes 1080P, you are outta luck.

Get the monitor specs, and then adjust accordingly.

Only *VERY* expensive displays will match the resolution you are shooting for on a 50" display.

Get us the monitor specs, and we can help you to adjust.

And forget about the interlaced modes (1080I, 720I...) These interlaced modes will really mess with your eyes.

HTH...

Hef
02-01-2011, 05:29
Hello Hef,

You will only be able to match the specs of the monitor - the preferred display resolution.

You can 'wanna' have it at 3298x1856, but if the display only goes 1080P, you are outta luck.

Get the monitor specs, and then adjust accordingly.

Only *VERY* expensive displays will match the resolution you are shooting for on a 50" display.

Get us the monitor specs, and we can help you to adjust.

And forget about the interlaced modes (1080I, 720I...) These interlaced modes will really mess with your eyes.

HTH...

It's only 1280x720. I'll need a different TV. Luckily, this TV was free. I'll use it for photo slide shows for now.

JimmyN
02-01-2011, 05:53
You're also limited by what the video chipset can provide, so just replacing the TV with a higher resolution may not help much.

Right click on the desktop and select 'Properties>Settings'. The slider under 'Screen Resolution' will show you the maximum resolution your video hardware and driver are capable of. If the max is 1280x720 for instance, then that's all you'll get even with a 1920x1080 TV. You'll be displaying 1280 pixels across a screen that's 1920 pixels wide, so it still won't be as sharp. For the best image the native resolution of the monitor/TV should match the resolution setting of your video adapter/chipset.