hdmi plug problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hdmi plug problems

dodgecope89
01-31-2011, 18:13
I have a acer laptop and a sansui lcd tv i went out to walmart yesterday and bought an hdmi cable to hook them together and it wotked fine excspt the sound still plays through my computer is there anyway to make it were the sound will play through the tv and if so how?
Thanks

Pierre!
01-31-2011, 22:04
You will need to dig into your notebook for some of these answers. It may not be possible with your notebook. There should be a 'switch' or 'checkbox' in your playback software that will allow the HDMI to carry the audio.

I would start with the support forums on Dell's site, and then go after your playback software's options.

Wish I could be more precise... perhaps someone who knows your notebook will be along directly.

JimmyN
02-01-2011, 05:31
I would guess it's still outputting audio to the default onboard sound. Try going into Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices.
In the 'Audio' tab, under 'Sound Playback' you will probably see Realtec listed as the default device. That would be your onboard sound and the audio is being routed to the line out/speaker jacks.

Since you have an HDMI port on the motherboard you should see a choice in the dropdown menu that is video related, such as nVidia HD Audio, select that. The choice may not appear unless you have the HDMI cable plugged in. You will also need to choose the 'Voice' tab and change the 'Voice Playback' device there as well.

That should take care of it. But if the only device option you have is Realtec, I'm lost as to what the problem could be.

dodgecope89
02-01-2011, 10:04
Thanks i might be scewed though because i think ive already been to the screen your talking about and i dont think there was an option like that so i may not have the ability. Ill check again next time im at my compute.
Thanks again

JimmyN
02-01-2011, 11:33
Google "acer no hdmi sound" or something similar. You will get lots of results, but the fix depends on the Acer model and maybe the Windows version. So you will have to look for fixes related to your setup, you can bet you're not the first to have a problem. The info could even be in your manual troubleshooting section.

gemeinschaft
02-01-2011, 19:52
If you are able to have the laptop online, we can use Teamviewer and I can show you where to enable the sound, I would be very surprised if you laptop has an HDMI output and no ability to play sound through the HDMI.

Shoot me a PM and let me know if you want help.