Are my Trijicons out of alignment or is it me? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are my Trijicons out of alignment or is it me?

timtx1
01-31-2011, 20:03
I just got my first gun, a Glock 23 Gen 4. I had Trijicon green night sights put on.

I noticed that all my shots were left of center. I talked with someone at the range and they said it was most likely trigger control. So, I practiced at home a bit to try to help with that. I am better now but my shots are still left.

I am relatively new to shooting. I have put 400 bullets through the Glock 23 so far and I have been practicing dry-firing at home in order to correct my trigger control issues.

When I look at the sights, it actually appears as if they are slightly to the right. There is a very small amount of space difference between the left and right portions of flat metal when looking down from the top onto the rear sight. So, if anything I should be shooting to the right if it was the sights that were affecting my aim.

So, which is it? Do I just need more practice or could the sights be slightly off and need to be adjusted? My guess would be the former since I am so new but I wanted to ask here to see if there's something I'm missing.

In the pictures attached, the targets were at seven yards (on the left) and 15 yards (on the right). And, it's a Trijicon, they just scraped off the letters when they mounted it using a sight tool.

Thanks for your help.

bentbiker
01-31-2011, 21:20
Almost every new Glock shooter hits left or low left at first. Keep up the dry firing and concentrate on keeping the sights on target through the shot. Try providing 60-70% of the grip strength from the weak hand, and use the strong hand almost exclusively to press the trigger straight to the rear.

RayB
01-31-2011, 21:51
The rear sight is a little offset to the right. But moving the rear sight to the right would tend to move your POA/POI to the right as well, so I wouldn't sweat it right now.

It's all you buddy!

Still, you were starting to group nicely at about 8 o'clock on the 10 & 9 rings!

400-rounds is nothing. Give it 4000-rounds, and then reevaluate.

Here's a Few Tips:

- Get a proper stance and grip standardized for you. You'll get consistent results with a consistent technique...

- Settle on one practice ammo, if possible, for now.

- Watch the front sight all through the firing cycle.

- Do you see each muzzle flash? If not, you're blinking at a critical moment!

- Fire from the trigger reset position.

- Use the pad of your index finger, not the knuckle-joint, to fire.

You know, if you slipped a laser on that G23, you'd fast-track your trigger technique... Lasers describe the smallest hand movements in an obvious way. They make correcting trigger control as instinctive as catching a ball. I've seen it time and again!

--Ray

timtx1
01-31-2011, 22:03
Thanks bentbiker and RayB. I figured it was probably me :)

I'll take your advice and run with it. It's amazing how precise shooting is. There are so many things that can affect your accuracy. I'm new to it and although it's frustrating, I do enjoy figuring out how to improve and to see my improvements at the range.

Thanks for your help.

RayB
01-31-2011, 22:13
Happy to Help! :wavey:

Attached are two items you might want to copy and save...

1) A Printable Shooting Analysis T (Right Handed)

2) An Exploded View of a G17 (All Models Are Sufficiently Similar)

--Ray

crazyfarmer
02-03-2011, 20:48
i finally had to move my sights slightly to the right on mine. No matter what I did my 26 always shot left. Trigger control was perfect, no wirst break, grip was perfect but she still wanted to shoot left. I tried 50 different grip combos from increasing weak hand grip as well. When all else fails you can move the sight. If you are grouping 2-3 inch groups all the time but shooting left it may not be you.

One thing I will say try is loosen your strong hand and tighten you weak hand grip... see if that helps you any

Gun Shark
02-03-2011, 20:50
Send me the gun and I'll let you know.:whistling:

timtx1
02-03-2011, 21:50
I'll give it a shot, thanks.

i finally had to move my sights slightly to the right on mine. No matter what I did my 26 always shot left. Trigger control was perfect, no wirst break, grip was perfect but she still wanted to shoot left. I tried 50 different grip combos from increasing weak hand grip as well. When all else fails you can move the sight. If you are grouping 2-3 inch groups all the time but shooting left it may not be you.

One thing I will say try is loosen your strong hand and tighten you weak hand grip... see if that helps you any

timtx1
02-03-2011, 21:52
Yep, I'll get right on that :P

Next time I'm at the range I'll try to find someone that looks proficient to try my gun out. Or, maybe the owner can fire a few. I've talked with him and he gave me some tips once and seemed pretty nice.

Send me the gun and I'll let you know.:whistling:

zigzagg321
02-03-2011, 22:13
FWIW, the rear sight on my 26 is not perfectly centered, but the gun shoots straight where I want it to when I do what I am supposed to do on my end of the equation.

Earthmapper
02-09-2011, 10:19
Tim,

I'm new to shooting pistol, discounting shooting a buddy's a few times. I have a glock 17 and do the same exact thing, other than I'm not going for distance until I can consistently get it to land exactly where I want it to :) I'm using the factory sights.

I get the same kind of groupings with fair consistency. at 15', I'm consistently about 2-3 inches left and low, with the occasional stray shot. Personally, I plan on following through with your plan, and let someone experienced take it for a spin, but I am certain it's in my trigger squeeze and not the sights.

I'm interested in hearing how it goes your next time out