Steel or brass? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Steel or brass?

ZombieTom
01-31-2011, 20:19
What type of round do you shoot at the range?

I don't see that the steel would cause any harm, in fact that's what Glock tests with.

voyager4520
01-31-2011, 20:23
Glock test-fires with aluminum-cased CCI Blazer. I personally shoot American Eagle. Steel might put a little more wear on the extractor, but probably not too much more.

Edit: I haven't seen steel cases in a Test-Fire envelope from Glock, both of mine had aluminum CCI Blazer.

rca256
01-31-2011, 20:29
Actually was wondering about that myself. I am taking a two day pistol course in May and will shoot 1000 rounds over two days. So is it worth cheap-ing out and using 165 grain CCI Blazer vice 155 grain Lawman? I also have no idea if we are going to be able to keep our own brass but I imagine that someone has to police up 20,000 assorted pistol cases. ;)

ZombieTom
01-31-2011, 20:31
I myself am looking to buy into a bunch of this TulAmmo.

rca256
01-31-2011, 20:33

Umm.... no. And don't shoot Wolf in your AR15 either. Just my $0.02. YMMV.

CitizenOfDreams
01-31-2011, 20:34
Before I started reloading, I shot plenty of steel-cased Golden Bear and Wolf. My Glock did not care.

dodgecope89
01-31-2011, 20:34
Well as im sure you all already know aluminum cases cant be reloaded so if you reload brass is the way to go.

ZombieTom
01-31-2011, 20:39
I don't reload, and also I don't have AR?

I have an AK-47 that would eat any ammo like candy.

scrapinby
01-31-2011, 20:42

I have went through about 400 rounds with no problems. I have about 700 more waiting for a trip to the range.

Captains1911
01-31-2011, 20:47
Umm.... no. And don't shoot Wolf in your AR15 either. Just my $0.02. YMMV.

I know many people who have put thousands of steel cased rounds thru ARs with absolutely no ill affects.

girphoto
01-31-2011, 20:52
I have shot over 1500 rds of CCI Blazer Aluminum through my G17 & G19 G4 without a single problem, NOT ONE!
The cost is 1/2 of what my range charges for a box of light loads 115 gr 9mm by PMC.

CCI Blazer Aluminum:bluesbrothers::wavey:

Folsom_Prison
01-31-2011, 20:52

I've ran a couple hundred rounds through my 19 with zero issues!!

hooterman
01-31-2011, 21:24
My Glocks love the stuff and eat it like candy. The last Glock I bought had steel casings from the test fire rounds out of the Tula Factory in Russia.

Tula has been making ammo since the 1890's and produces some of the Wolf Brand export ammo. Most of Eastern Europe shoot steel case ammo in their Glocks.

Now the bullets are Bi-Metal which are just copper washed steel or a lead core. Watch out for over penetration..:wow:

mr_fender
01-31-2011, 23:01
Steel cased ammo can be a real bargain in you don't reload. The only bad thing is steel cases are often lacquered to keep the case from rusting. That lacquer can build up in the chamber over time and heat can make it sticky. It can lead to feeding and ejection problems if builds up enough. It usually takes A LOT of rounds to cause problems, but it's still something to keep in mind. With regular cleaning of the chamber, they work like a charm for range use. Some brands of steel cased ammo use a zinc or brass plating instead of lacquer, so those would be even better.

Overall I'd say I prefer brass, but I've never really had any problems with steel cased stuff either. All cheap ammo is usually dirty as heck. I have to clean my guns more with it anyway, so it doesn't make much difference to me. It usually comes down to what I can find cheap. I'd love to shoot only black hills or gold dots, but my wallet just isn't fat enough.

Jr.
02-01-2011, 05:39
I use steel, brass, or alum. Whatevers cheepest, its a glock afterall.

hooterman
02-01-2011, 05:46
Tula Ammo is not lacquer coated. Acetone, nail polish remover, cleans up the lacquer build up real fast, if any, from Brown Bear and Break Free CLP makes short work of the carbon deposits from all brands of ammunition.:supergrin:

Life is Good!

ronin.45
02-01-2011, 06:31
Steel cased ammo can be a real bargain in you don't reload. The only bad thing is steel cases are often lacquered to keep the case from rusting. That lacquer can build up in the chamber over time and heat can make it sticky. It can lead to feeding and ejection problems if builds up enough. It usually takes A LOT of rounds to cause problems, but it's still something to keep in mind. With regular cleaning of the chamber, they work like a charm for range use. Some brands of steel cased ammo use a zinc or brass plating instead of lacquer, so those would be even better.

Overall I'd say I prefer brass, but I've never really had any problems with steel cased stuff either. All cheap ammo is usually dirty as heck. I have to clean my guns more with it anyway, so it doesn't make much difference to me. It usually comes down to what I can find cheap. I'd love to shoot only black hills or gold dots, but my wallet just isn't fat enough.

Good post. I don't shoot steel cased ammo, but there is nothing wrong with it, if you clean and maintain your gun.

tampashooters
02-01-2011, 06:58

TulAmmo is cheap and dirty range ammo, but it works! I've tried the .40sw and 9mm and they both worked 100%. Is it my preferred ammo..... No, but it's great range ammo

unit1069
02-01-2011, 08:29
The two spent cartridge casings that came with my NIB G-32 were brass Speer casings.

I have always shot brass cased ammo, but would also shoot aluminum. No steel for me as I don't want to put a hard metal against the extractor, even though I'm confident the Glock could handle it.

Dogguy
02-02-2011, 06:34
Steel is okay. Aluminum is okay. Lacquer is okay. Too much being made of non-issues.

Glock in Austria tests with ammunition made there--Germany, Switzerland, wherever. The cartridge case included with Glocks are not from a "test". They are included due to some states having laws requiring a spent case to be on file for the gun.

DEADEYEGUY
02-06-2011, 01:51
During the great ammo drought sometimes all I could find was the steel casd stuff. As others have said the main problems were it was dirty and stunk. I clean my guns after every range session anyways. So no big deal. A few hundred rounds of it did not appear to have an adverse effect on any of my guns. If I can get brass for $1.00-$2.00 more per box I'll buy it. But if steel is all that's in I have no problem shooting it. As someone else said if shooting steel damages your gun it wouldn't be one I would want to trust my rear to. Again shouldn't damage a well made firearm. Don't know of anyone else having problems with it at the range either. As far as manufacturers saying not to shoot it I think it's more CYA than anything. But I wouldn't void the warranty on a gun shooting steel would do it.

Merkavaboy
02-06-2011, 03:27
Actually was wondering about that myself. I am taking a two day pistol course in May and will shoot 1000 rounds over two days. So is it worth cheap-ing out and using 165 grain CCI Blazer vice 155 grain Lawman? I also have no idea if we are going to be able to keep our own brass but I imagine that someone has to police up 20,000 assorted pistol cases. ;)

If you're taking a pistol class, I'd check with them to find out if alum cased ammo is okay by them. If it is, I wouldn't hesitate using CCI Blazer for the class, or any factory loaded brass cased ammo. What I would not do is use steel cased .40 (WOLF, Tulammo) due to the risk of having stoppages or malfunctions during range that might be caused by poor or out of spec ammo. Bullet weight really doesn't matter as long as it feeds/functions reliably in your gun and is accurate enough for POA/POI (point-of-aim, point of impact).

For general plinking and target work, I have used several thousand rounds of all kinds of steel cased 9mm with very little problems. My personal choice would be Sellier & Bellot Range Safe (comes in 115 or 124 FMJ) and WOLF Military Classic (if made by Ulyanovsk) in that order. After that I couldn't care less what brand it is, be it Barnaul, Tula Cartridge Works or LVE. They've all worked for me out of my G19.

dudel
02-06-2011, 05:54
Since I reload, brass.

Matt Berry
02-07-2011, 11:44
I vote for brass, and only brass, do it for the children, well that and the reloaders out there. We need our once fired brass fix, and if all you shoot is aluminum or steel, it makes it harder to feed our brass addictions.

bac1023
02-07-2011, 20:33
Brass, never steel.

FireForged
02-11-2011, 13:49
I have seen aluminum cases swell (get stuck) and I have seen extractors that use alot of steel cased ammo. I will stick with brass.

cowboy1964
02-11-2011, 14:01
The only bad thing is steel cases are often lacquered to keep the case from rusting. That lacquer can build up in the chamber over time and heat can make it sticky. It can lead to feeding and ejection problems if builds up enough.

That's a myth. What is actually happening (and this is in regards to ARs mostly, if not entirely) is that the steel case doesn't bulge when fired as much as brass so the gases fill the space and foul the chamber. Then when you fire brass the cases are more prone to stick because of the buidup. Besides, the Russian ammo hasn't used the lacquer in a long time, it's been polymer coated.

A guy just covered this in a YouTube video in the last week. Sorry I don't have the link but I'm sure someone can post it.

I have had no issues with steel or aluminum. Actually it's a good function test if one thinks those cases are so bad. If the gun handles them then brass should be no problem at all.

rwrjr
02-11-2011, 14:15
This topic pops up every 3-6 months and you get the same answers every time.

To those that only shoot brass, you get all of the myths that steel damages your extractor. It's a very soft steel by the way. Aluminum blows out. Not.

Then you get the guys who have actually used steel or aluminum cases and pretty much you hear that the stuff works just fine.

I've shot cases of Blazer aluminum and 1/2 a case of Wolf steel cased stuff out of my Glocks. Not one single issue. Not one. No blown cases, no funky extractor wear. Nothing.

I've also shot cases and cases of Wolf from my ARs. Again, not one single issue.

Sure, given a choice and with price equivalence I'd choose brass cased ammo every time. Russian steel and Blazer aluminum ammo is just plain cheaper, especially back in the day. And by cheaper, I mean I saved enough on the cases of ammo I mentioned shooting above to pay for a whole new Glock and then some. Shoot even if I had to replace an extractor or two (which I didn't) I'd be way ahead.

HotRoderX
02-11-2011, 14:29
I was trying diffrent rounds at the range from local dealers. I tryed RWS, WWB, PMC, Tula, Champion, and some Local loaded ammo.
Out of all them I pefer
1. RWS 124gr Brass
2.Tula 115gr Steel
3.WWB 115gr Brass
Wouldn't use Champion again unless I had to and The local loaded stuff is OK but not the best