Long sad story. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Long sad story.

Linux3
01-31-2011, 20:39
I really like my M&P 9MM Pro.
I crossed over to the dark side and bought a Sig P226R USPSA thinking that Sig has a great name and maybe I could improve my IDPA score for 2011.
Read below to learn about my sad story of customer service between SIG and S&W.
######################################
I called Sig Customer service, and I use that term very, very loosely.
The Customer Service guy kept saying that if I use combat sights mode and cover the center of the target hitting 2.5" low was normal! What??
I explained that I shoot IDPA and USPSA and shot 2nd marksman for 2010 in IDPA SSP in my area and knew what I was doing that he at last put an armorer in conference with me.
We all concurred that something is not right and the pistol is on it's way back to Sig.
A few weeks ago I sent my S&W M&P 9MM Pro back to Smith for an overhaul. I shot ~15,000 rounds through it in a year.
Smith customer service gave me no grief and paid for transport both ways and covered a rebuild under warranty.
So, I shot 2nd marksman in IDPA for 2010 in my area with my Smith. I was looking for my Sig P226R USPSA helping me get #1 for 2011. So far I am not impressed.

walkin' trails
02-01-2011, 19:42
My own experience with S&W Customer Service and warranty repairs has been very good. I had to send my M&P 45 back once for a pin working its way out. It came back in a week and has run without a hitch since.

A friend sent his P220 back to Sig because it kept jamming. They went though the gun and sent it back. Somehow they managed not to diagnose weak magazine springs and noticeably dented mag bodies. As soon as he replaced those after all the run-around, it worked fine.

S&W would like to take back the market they lost to Glock and the others. It will take them a while, but they're on the right track.

LarryNC
02-25-2011, 11:59
My experience with S&W warranty folks was very impressive. I wish all gun companies were so nice, professional, and pain-free to deal with.

I have never owned a SIG. They were always a little bit out of my price range. I have never even shot a SIG. I have noticed a bunch of complaints on different web sites lately that leads me to think that their quality is not what it used to be. I believe that most, if not all SIGS were made either in Germany and or Switzerland and when that was the case they really were incredible guns that you could stake your life on. I used to be in QC and in QA at a manufacturing company here in NC that was Japanese owned. When it had Japanese managers, our quality was world class and first rate. Eventually all of the Japanese managers went back to Japan and American managers took their place. The quality went to hell! It sounds like the same thing might be happening at SIG's U.S. plant. It scares me to read that Glock is manufacturing entire guns in Smyrna, GA. I'll just keep my Austrian made Glocks.

Linux3
02-25-2011, 12:22
An update.
The P226 went to SIG and back to me.
They sent a test target and a note saying "Replaced rear sight, test fired pistol at 15 yards".

Yup, and the test target had 5 shots in a nice tight group at 6:00 on the third ring.

Don't know just what I'll do. So far the P226 is gathering dust in the safe.

TSAX
02-26-2011, 20:28
Fan of the the Sig P226 but not of their customer serivce