Ar build advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ar build advice

bluejackets92fs
01-31-2011, 22:05
So I decided it is time for an Ar. I can get at cost a Bushmaster M4A3 flat top complete upper for 389+tax. I am unsure if it is a heavy barrel or if it is chrome lined though. I picked up an ATI Teflon coated stripped lower tonight for $75 new. I want to keep it as close to an m4 as possible. I want a flip up rear sight but fixed front sight. I want to do some small stuff like a Magpul trigger guard and Magpul stock. I kinda want a quad rail but the fore grip on the upper is a short fore grip as opposed to a longer one so the quad rail may look goofy. My question is should I spend extra on a better upper or build one from scratch some where. I want to keep it at around a $700 budget since I can get a complete parts kit from bushmaster for $40, the upper for $389 and have a lower for $75. Also does anyone have a hookup somewhere or have a business that I can get some good deals through?

Jim173
01-31-2011, 23:31
If you go to gunshows around OH look for a guy Tony's Custom Uppers, not only does he make customized uppers, but he builds, and customizes AR-15s you basically tell him want you want and hell do it for you. check out his website tonyscustomuppers.com theres not much on the page but hes got a lot of stuff he brings to shows, hes outta delta, OH. Check him out see what you think.

zhix
02-01-2011, 06:10
Tony's Custom Uppers

I may have him install the barrel on an AR I have been building at a show this weekend.

I think if you don't want to spend more than $700 that might be as good as you're going to get. The bushmaster upper more than likely has a chrome lined barrel.

surf
02-01-2011, 10:53
Does the upper come with the Bolt carrier group and charging handle? What handguards / fore end? Who is this from? Maybe you can post a link or the upper your talking about.

I personally do not care for bushmaster barrels and have found many of their chambers to be out of spec.

bluejackets92fs
02-01-2011, 11:47
Does the upper come with the Bolt carrier group and charging handle? What handguards / fore end? Who is this from? Maybe you can post a link or the upper your talking about.

I personally do not care for bushmaster barrels and have found many of their chambers to be out of spec.

This is the dilemma I am in, I can't find this upper anywhere not even bushmaster website. It is through Jerry's Sports Catalog. You need a membership to log onto their site. I have no idea if it is chrome lined, if it is a heavy barrel, etc.... It is a complete upper with the charging handle and BCG. I really wish I could find it online. The part number is BFGF1009519. It is the compact had rail. It will look sharp after the magpul compact hand guard I order for it.

BlackPaladin
02-01-2011, 15:06
Del Ton has some nice options in your price range. You can specify chrome lined, 1/9 or 1/7 twist (depending on what type of bullets you like to shoot), and they do stake the bolt carrier keys.

jrs93accord
02-01-2011, 15:40
Del-Ton is a good option. There is also this option.

http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-7075T6-A3-AR15-Upper-Receiver---DSZM4CBU/productinfo/DSZM4CBU/

The DS Arms BCG and CH will add another $130.

These are a couple builds I did using the DSA ZM4 uppers.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/jamesrea10/009.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/jamesrea_08/jamesrea09/jamesrea10/006-2.jpg