How to tell what Night sights to get [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to tell what Night sights to get

HotRoderX
02-01-2011, 00:22
How can you tell what night sights are best for you? I right now have factory adjustable Glock sights on my G17 but am giving some serious thought to changing them out. I find the white on black to be a tad hard to see for some reason. I been looking online but there seem to be so many different choices and manufacturers to go with it can kinda be over whelming. I am still a gun noob so advice is appreciated

ColdBlooded
02-01-2011, 00:34
I like my night sights to have thinner blade fronts, to allow more light between the rear sights. Personal preference. I have factory Glock night sights, tennifer treated with Meprolight inserts. Unfortunately with Glock night sights, the blade is a little too thick for my preference. I also prefer minimal color on my rear sights. Unfortunately the lamps are white and huge on the Glock night sights.

I would go with Ameriglo or Trijicon, in that order, if your preferences are anything like mine.

Chevytruckin98
02-01-2011, 01:11
Seriously look into Heinie Night Sights. They are very well made sights and VERY accurate as well.

MAGICMANIA
02-01-2011, 01:18
I like Meprolight, Ameriglo and Trijicon in no order

DannyR
02-01-2011, 04:19
It's as simple as picking the make, model and color of a new vehicle. It's all personal choice.

timtx1
02-02-2011, 01:58
I like my night sights to have thinner blade fronts, to allow more light between the rear sights. Personal preference. I have factory Glock night sights, tennifer treated with Meprolight inserts. Unfortunately with Glock night sights, the blade is a little too thick for my preference. I also prefer minimal color on my rear sights. Unfortunately the lamps are white and huge on the Glock night sights.

I would go with Ameriglo or Trijicon, in that order, if your preferences are anything like mine.

Everyone always says that Glock night sights are Tenifer but when I called Glock, they assured me that they are not. They are just like the Trijicons in the coating.

The Retired Sarge
02-02-2011, 08:29
If you want to waste money changing out your perfectly good factory NS, that is your choice. Glock uses Meprolight tubes in their sights and warrants them for 15 years. I have used Meprolights for many years in actual duty conditions and found them the most durable NS brand by far. Bill

MrV
02-02-2011, 08:45
I must advocate Meprolight. Their customer service is just incredible. I accidentally broke the front sight, e-mailed them about it, and they sent me a replacement no questions asked.

Their also 69-73 dollars most places online, work for a minimum of 10 years, and are usually considered one of the brightest available.

timtx1
02-02-2011, 10:22
I thought about this as well and have various points to call out. I can only speak about Meprolight (Glock factory, and regular), and Trijicon.

1. Trijicons are made in the USA. Meprolights are made in Israel. Of course, Glocks are made in Austria so that negates the whole "made in the USA" thing already anyway. It may not matter, just pointing it out.

2. Meprolight dots are bigger. Some people who are older and have eyesight that's getting bad seem to favor the Meprolights because they are easier to see since they are bigger (at least that's what I've been told by people who had them and had bad eyesight). I'm not young, but luckily still have okay eyesight so it's not a big deal for me.

3. I have no experience with Meprolight, just Trijicon. I have looked at a lot of Glocks with Meprolight sights since at a recent gun show it seems like all the new guns people were selling had Meprolights or factory Glock (same). But from what I could tell, the front sight filled the notch between the back sight completely when you were lined up. On one hand, I like that in a way since you don't have to try and figure out whether you are truly centered. With my Trijicons, I find myself trying to make sure that the dot is in the center of the notch in the back sight. With the Meprolights, just make sure the front sight fills the notch completely and you know it's centered. On the other hand, as other's have pointed out, the thinner front sight of the Trijicon allows more light and more of the image you're pointing at to show through. I like being able to see a portion of what the front sight is pointing at showing around the front sight. In a way, it seems like it makes it easier to make sure you stay on target and steady since you see a peice of the target along with the sight blended together. But, maybe it's all in my head and it wouldn't matter.

4. There was a guy at the gun show selling new Meprolights. He had a black tube and a magnet mount. He would put the sight on the magnet mount and then place it in the black tube so you could see the glow. Based on what I see in my Trijicons and what I saw in the tube, I prefer the dots on the Trijicons. The Meprolights seem fuzzier and not as bright. However, it would probably be better to see them side-by-side in an actual dark room for a more accurate comparison.

It's a tough choice, that's for sure. There are tons of options. A friend of mine swears by Heine Straight 8's. He's ex Special Forces and he's always doing some sort of special training to challenge himself. He said that having one dot in the middle is better and faster than the traditional three-dot set up. And, some of the competition shooters seem to agree since they have a similar set up.

But really, I don't think it matters too much. I had a mix-up with my order and ended up with the Trijicons where I was originally going to get the factory Glock NS (Meprolights). Either way I would have been fine. There are pros and cons to both and really neither has anything major in either the pro or the con to steer me one way or the other. I'd be happy with either. And in my case, the Trijicons were only $20 more, so it's not a huge difference in price either.

KindaBigBullet
02-02-2011, 10:37
Seriously look into Heinie Night Sights. They are very well made sights and VERY accurate as well.

I'm not sure what you mean in term of then being very accurate.

But those sights are like XS 24/7 sights that I use, only the XS uses a sight picture like the letter "i" and the Heinie uses ":"

Both are great because it lines up the side to side alignment. You know you are shooting straight (as long as they are installed correctly and not off to the side a bit).

The up and down alignment depends on distance of the target and the speed of your bullet, so the stock glock sights put new shooters in a bad habit of squaring up the front with the back sight. Same sight picture for all distances.

I have factory Glock night sights, tennifer treated with Meprolight inserts.

Glock night sights are not tennifer treated. The black finish isn't the same as the slide either.

KindaBigBullet
02-02-2011, 10:49
XS 24/7 night sights
http://shop.xd-hs2000.com/images/12237229069881540963340.gif

Heinie night sights
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27549&stc=1&d=1247489523

timtx1
02-02-2011, 11:15
When I got my Trijicons a month ago, I didn't even know about the Heinie or the XS 24/7.

I really like the idea of these XS 24/7. The front sight has nothing around it when level so you can truly focus on it without the rear sights obscuring any of the view. And, it makes it very easy to see when you're level. They seem pretty cool.

I wonder what month-old Trijicons sell for :)

If I could see it in person then I'd probably be sold. I'll keep my eye on that and maybe some day I'll get some of those and list my Trijicons.

I'm not sure what you mean in term of then being very accurate.

But those sights are like XS 24/7 sights that I use, only the XS uses a sight picture like the letter "i" and the Heinie uses ":"

Both are great because it lines up the side to side alignment. You know you are shooting straight (as long as they are installed correctly and not off to the side a bit).

The up and down alignment depends on distance of the target and the speed of your bullet, so the stock glock sights put new shooters in a bad habit of squaring up the front with the back sight. Same sight picture for all distances.

Glock night sights are not tennifer treated. The black finish isn't the same as the slide either.

KindaBigBullet
02-02-2011, 16:28
Here's the Heinie
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=709794

Here's the XS 24/7. Best price so far. Everywhere else I've seen is $100+
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=936698