Sight adjustment...is it that or this? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sight adjustment...is it that or this?

emore
02-01-2011, 06:51
Greetings, all,

My new G23 shoots left just a tad, just enough to bother an experienced shooter than is accustomed to exact center. It's been so long since I've "adjusted" non-adjustable night sights that I can't recall which way the rear sight needs to move! I want to move the point of impact to the right, only about 1/2 inch at 10 yards. So, do I move the rear sight to the left or the right to accomplish this? Whichever way it goes, I will probably move it too much, which might easily show me which way is which. Makes more sense to ask the collective wisdom available only on Glocktalk.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

emore

CBH
02-01-2011, 06:58
Move your rear sight to the right....just a tad!

Dandapani
02-01-2011, 07:08

Expansion on this. Move the rear sight in the direction you want the point of impact to move. Up/down/left/right.

emore
02-01-2011, 07:09

So it's like riding a motorcycle, push right to go right. If I want the impact to move right, the rear sight needs to move right, right?
I tried to draw it out on paper but that got me nowhere really quickly. Thanks for the reply. And if I tap it more than a tad, I'll be tapping it to the left...a tad and a half?

emore

emore
02-01-2011, 07:27
Expansion on this. Move the rear sight in the direction you want the point of impact to move. Up/down/left/right.

That's what makes sense intuitively, but I can't manage to explain to myself why. It seems that moving the rear to the right forces you to move the front to the right to line up, thereby moving the point of impact to the right. Does that sound right?

emore

Sonnytoo
02-01-2011, 07:34
I visualize it this way. Stick a real tall rear sight on your gun. Now you can see that to line up the sights, you'd have to either lower the back of the gun, or RAISE up the front sight to match the rear sight on the target. So either way, you're going to shoot very high. So by raising the rear sight, you've raised the point of impact.
Of course, you can visualize the other three directions also.

emore
02-01-2011, 07:39
I visualize it this way. Stick a real tall rear sight on your gun. Now you can see that to line up the sights, you'd have to either lower the back of the gun, or RAISE up the front sight to match the rear sight on the target. So either way, you're going to shoot very high. So by raising the rear sight, you've raised the point of impact.
Of course, you can visualize the other three directions also.

Thanks a lot! That really helps me, as I've been told I'm a "visual" learner. I guess that means I have to see it or be able to visualize it and your example really helps in that regard.

emore