Got new sights installed, now my barrel wont fit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got new sights installed, now my barrel wont fit

Sam Haight
02-01-2011, 13:47
Just got back from the local gunsmith where I had previously left my G36 slide and a pair of Glock Factory Night Sights. They looked great on the weapon and I was very excited to go home and put it all back together. Well...

Now the factory barrel wont properly fit into the slide. It sits about 1mm from where it is supposed to go.

I'm bringing it back to them tomorrow as soon as they open to have it fixed. I'm just wondering if this is a common thing. Right now, I have it narrowed down to two possibilities:

1. The front sight is mounted too deep into the weapon, is obstructing the free passage of the slide, and needs to be adjusted (I hope it is this simple)

2. My slide got bent in the vise when they were mounting the sights :steamed:

Any thoughts? I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow...

Njanear
02-01-2011, 16:16
Is the front sight a screw-on model or the older staked-on model? If it is a screw-on, the screw should be flush against the bottom of the slide. If it is staked, you got some OLD night sights installed.

If they bent the slide, then they really didn't know what they were doing - BUT any chance that they dropped the slide and bent the front ring (where the recoil rod sits against it)?

Sam Haight
02-01-2011, 18:15
It's a screw on, and its definitely not flush with the bottom of the slide. Maybe since the top edge of the 36 slide is thinner than the other Glock models the screw for the front sight sticks all the way through. Never realized that. I'll see if they can maybe smooth it out a little bit for me. Thanks!

Njanear
02-01-2011, 19:29
Well, apparently this is a common issue with G36s (screw head too thick) :dunno: - look at this thread from the main forum:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312875

Seems several people have had to do some sight mods for the G36.

GRT45
02-01-2011, 19:42
Glock Talk member TxGun advised someone with a similar problem in the other thread (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312875) that Njanear pointed out:
"The G36s are different in the clearance that is available for hex nut front sights, at least the earlier ones are. Generally speaking, you have to file down the hex nut to approximately 1/2 it's original thickness b-4 the barrel will clear it. I've done a couple of them and this worked for me, but there is not much left to grab with the driver. I've heard the latest G36s have more clearance, but I don't know that 1st hand."

It's not that the screw is too long, but rather that the thickness (height) of the hex head on the screw is too much to clear the barrel. I think I remember reading that newer models of the G36 have a recessed well for the hex head of the screw to provide more clearance with the barrel.

Sam Haight
02-05-2011, 14:17
Thanks all. I ended up doing it myself with a dremel tool. No biggie.